1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'72 brakes

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by PICT, Apr 27, 2018.

1. PICT

PICT Member

I'm needing the brakes done on my '72 kombi and am thinking it might be the time to change/upgrade them to a later version or uprated as the 71/72 is sometimes had to find parts for, any thoughts, recomendations, etc

Is changing to late bay ones easy enough or wouolldit be eaier just to get a late bay front beam and change over that?

Also tempted to uprate the rears to disks as plan on towing in the future, won't need anything too extreme as trailer would be under 750kg, are the VolksConversions kits decent? Happy to go to 15" merc rims as thinking of raising the body anyway for offroad fun

2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

I replaced the booster on my son’s 71, replaced all the rear wheel cylinders and put caliper kits through the front.
    His brakes are every bit as good as my ‘76.
    I tow a light trailer regularly and haven’t felt the need for anything more than I have.
    One advantage of rear disks of course, is that you don’t have to adjust the shoes.......
    Cheers,
    Mark

3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

I like the rear discs.
    Always pulls up flat.
    Early volks conversions type on 79.

oldman likes this.
  4. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

You don't really need to change over the biggest difference is the later version has a 14 mm thick pads and the earlier have 10 mm. There is a bit of work to change over the calipers to the larger ones for what.o_O As @oldman mentions :rolleyes:"every bit as good" work just as well, if well maintained . JKA do have a conversion kit for the front of a 72 ,but check ring them to see whats involved.
    You don't need to change the front beam but can be done that way. You need to change the torsion arms over to the later model new discs and calipers for later version and I think you need the front stub axles from memory also.
    I got a set of rear discs for the rear from volks conversion but have never fitted them been on the long list of things to do:eek:. I don't like how the set up is on the handbrake bracket .It's like a boggy method of bending a bolt over in a u shape to hold the handbrake cable in place:(:eek: Haven't got around to fitting the kit and working out a better way of doing it.:(
    You can get parts for 72 brakes, the down side is harder to get the parts ,do you home work both ways .:)

5. PICT

PICT Member

Cheers for the comments so far, I am a bit stuck with which way to go, the main thing for me is parts availability followed by stopping power, just been thinking it might be easier to change to something that is easier to find replacements now and in the future, would be also happy just getting new pads disks and shoes butt thought this would be the ideal time to think about other options as well

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  6. PICT

PICT Member

Picked up some cheap front brakes from a 74 at the weekend, everything I need, so will now be using the later bay spindles, discs, calipers, pads etc instead of the year only ones on the late 71-72 model, so in the future getting discs or replacement calipers will be easiler to find thean the hard to find/expensive '72 items.

As I said before it was time for new discs and pads anyway so have used the oppertunity to change over.

David H likes this.