73 Kombi rebirth-aka-Welcome Trinity

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by 73 Kombi, Jun 3, 2017.

1. 73 Kombi

73 Kombi Member

IMG_0142.JPG After many many years in the family, this post teenage girl gets a makeover. IMG_0141.JPG

2. 73 Kombi

73 Kombi Member

IMG_0144.JPG IMG_0143.JPG Ok, some online magic.. mainly because I am just simply catching up, now that there is real progress..

3. 73 Kombi

73 Kombi Member

IMG_0146.JPG Still catching up... IMG_0145.JPG

4. 73 Kombi

73 Kombi Member

Just a little more progress, and a lot of rust removal.. IMG_0147.JPG IMG_0149.JPG IMG_0150.JPG IMG_0148.JPG

5. 73 Kombi

73 Kombi Member

IMG_0151.JPG Ok there was a bit to do, and I didn't do it.. I would have made a messs of it and taken about thirty years to do it.. it is/was done in Brisbane and some really talented people helped me get Trinity through this though time.. happy to share if you want to know.
    IMG_0153.JPG

Attached Files:

6. 73 Kombi

73 Kombi Member

IMG_0157.JPG IMG_0156.JPG We are getting closer, and closer to Christmas..

7. 73 Kombi

73 Kombi Member

Ok, there is more rust over here, and much more over here... in fact it's far to graphic so we will just show the after photos.. IMG_0166.JPG IMG_0169.JPG

8. 73 Kombi

73 Kombi Member

Umm skip forward a bit, and the rust is fully removed, new steel in place and it's all coming together, not long before the new colour is considered.. IMG_0167.JPG IMG_0168.JPG

David H and Grantus like this.
  9. 73 Kombi

73 Kombi Member

IMG_0180.JPG IMG_0176.JPG Ok, so the colour is chosen to me it reflects the sea, beach and tranquility, the undercarriage is fully rebuilt, new brakes, bearings, shocks, tie rods.. etc
    It's black belly a slightly regrettable but positive change away from the original green, I think.

OSF, Pomboy64, Syncro27 and 2 others like this.
  10. 73 Kombi

73 Kombi Member

IMG_0160.JPG IMG_0164.JPG IMG_0174.JPG Ok, so the body colour reveal.. A sneak peak. It's a rolling chassis again, soon to have the fuel tank, gear box and engine put back in.. windows are polished and new rubbers purchased..

11. 73 Kombi

73 Kombi Member

Well, while waiting.. its time to get the gauges refurbished... IMG_0181.JPG

Syncro27 likes this.
  12. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Looks like you haven't been mucking about really getting stuck in.It be on the road in no time. new colour was a bit of a shock when first scrolled down and seeing it with light in the engine bay.Good to see the TLC your giving it a new lease on life

13. 73 Kombi

73 Kombi Member

I know what you mean, toughest choice was the colour, I want bold but I hope it does calm down with time.. it will be two tone with the addition of white above the body roll.

14. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Nice progress ...... everyone loves looking at pictures at resto jobs ;)

If I may add something while it's in pieces - being a '73 it will have a fuel filler hose from the filler neck to the tank and having owned a '73 I had to replace it so can post some pictures and where to ge the filler hose - they perish from the inside and weep fuel as your filling :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  15. 73 Kombi

73 Kombi Member

Thanks, that is a huge help, I only learnt last week to recalibrate the fuel level sender before putting the tank back in.. that is something that I would have missed, and is getting done now, I will definitely replace that grommet now also, thank you.

16. 73 Kombi

73 Kombi Member

Just a quick note.. fuel gauge sender is rebuilt, glass polished, gearbox refurbed, and engine tin ware cleaned and painted (black)....final interior colours chosen, and a mild panic sets in looking for lost parts.
    In works at the moment.. gauge cluster reco, final dents piped out, engine (cost effective) clean up... it seems like it's so close, yet so far

17. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Bit like building a house.....you get all the earthworks, foundations, floors and walls done. Once the windows and doors go in with the roof on and weathertight, you think "Almost there"......but then realise how much more there is to do! :confused:

Yes it's much closer than it was, but will take the time necessary before you drive on your first cruise. ;)

onetrackwonder likes this.
  18. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Looking good.

19. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

Who did the metal work?
    Looks a quality job

20. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Fuel delivery hose - bit blury but you can see the cracks and they were worse on the inside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Old V New from German supply in Canada but VW Heritage in the UK do one also which si full fuel grade hose -

[​IMG]

Syncro27 likes this.