1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'73 purchase. My resto thread with photos and questions

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Xhai, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Xhai

Xhai Active Member

Hi good people of the KC forum,

I thought I’d start a thread to introduce myself and my new Kombi as well as post my progress as I slowly chip away at what I have planned for it. There’s so much good info throughout this forum. I’ve been searching the archives already, a lot of great advice and help on here - you seem like a friendly bunch. I’ve got a lot of questions, so will be hoping to pick a few brains as I go along.

My name is Xhai, kombi is still without a name - haven’t even identified the gender yet :D

1.jpg

I had beetles in the family growing up and my old man had an early lowlight back in the day. I’ve always loved VW’s, so I got myself a ‘69 beetle a couple of years ago. Needed a bit of work and of course it turned out to be a much bigger job than I first thought. Seems to be the way with most old cars! I’m happy to have a crack at anything myself, and loved doing all the work on it. Heaps of help online and with Muir’s idiot book too.

In a nutshell, I ended up doing a fuel tank removal and reseal, carby strip and clean, fuel lines, points, valves, timing, new exhaust, seat belt upgrade, rims, and bodywork and paint.

11 beetle.jpg

She drives sweet now, but it’s time to sell her as I’ve just got my hands on the kombi! We’ve just had our first baby and I can’t comfortably get a baby seat in the back. It’s just not getting used enough. Anyway, that’s my excuse for upgrading to a kombi. I’ve always wanted one, and after looking for ages this one popped up and fit the bill. Probably not the best timing in hindsight, with a new baby and limited free time.. o_O but the thought of having some family adventures is pretty awesome.

9.jpg

The PO owned it for about 10 years and slowly kitted it out as a camper with a mind to do long road trips. It came with a front bull bar with spare tyre mounted, rear bull bar, and full length roof rack with an awning.

12.jpg

It has a 2 seat rock and roll bed and a lot of cupboards

8.jpg

It came with a dual battery set up and an Engel too. Also has a sink and gas stove.

7.jpg

Front seats are pretty damn ugly recaro style ones. He gave me the original seats, though they are pretty much just metal frames in need of new padding and upholstery. Later down the line I’ll look into that.

It has a 1600 dual port in it. Refurbed and fitted about 5 years ago apparently. The good thing is the PO seemed to be pretty transparent - he gave me a big file of receipts and invoices for everything done to it over the years.

4.jpg

6.jpg

I was a lot more mechanically minded and vw savvy buying this than I was when I bought the bug. You know there is going to be more issues than what is first thought. I could see flaking heavy bog on a rear corner panel, some rust here and there, and a few issues when test driving. I looked at kombi’s for a long time, but for my budget, there was always going to be some rust. This one was pretty good in the scheme of things. Some I looked at were in very bad nick.

Here’s the small list at the moment (not in any order):

The big one - new paint and body work

Fuel smell in cab

Speedo doesn’t work

Service

Headlights don’t work

Seatbelt install in the rear

Thanks for reading! :)

10.jpg

Attached Files:

• 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      806.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Excellent purchase, and welcome to the Kombi Club Xhai! :)

Enjoy the ride..... ;)

3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    Sort the fuel smell immediately.
    Most are easy enough to fix and the major cause of Kombi fires.
    If you need any leads on doing the fuel or vent lines give a yell.

Cheers.

Poptop and Grantus like this.
  4. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Fuel needs to be fixed ASAP check all the tank breather pipes and fuel lines from tank to engine.
    Speedo cable take front left hubcap off and see if the cable is coming through the hub cap with a E clip on it .
    Interior looks pretty good,body not so and the undercarriage doesn't look like it's been touch since the Jurassic period or it's been near the ocean.
    Over all it's a runner and you able to have a go at fixing problems as they turn up.

David H likes this.
  5. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Nice purchase Xhai;). You've got some experience of VW's & the let down/extra work they can be. The bug looks real good & the right colour;).
    With cbus on fuel smell. Fix that before it burns:(.
    Speedo should be simple. Cable runs off the LHF hub. If you need a new speedo I can help.
    What's the plate behind drivers seat say for approved number of people ? As just fitting seat belts may not answer what you want. For 4 occupants whilst travelling you may need engineering if plate says 2.
    Don't sweat the paint & body too much. Just enjoy the drive but fix the fuel smell NOW or get a https://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/installing-a-blazecut-fire-suppression-system.54930/:(.
    Use those original seat frames to return it to original.
    Cheers

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  6. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Cool looking bus.
    I look forward to following your progress.
    Heaps of info on here as you say. But anything that is not, post it up and we generally solve it as a group.
    At least the bodywork looks good enough to allow you to sort mechanicals before stripping it down.

And don't ditch the seats yet. They may be ugly, but they are probably very comfy for long trips. Just hold on to the original frames. Restore them later for city living.
    My restored old low back seats are super cool. But after a couple of hours that feeling starts to wear off. ;)

David H and Grantus like this.
  7. wombatventures

wombatventures Well-Known Member

Welcome Xhai. Good to get another bus out there on the road again.

8. Xhai

Xhai Active Member

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and advice! :D

9. Xhai

Xhai Active Member

Cheers guys! The fuel smell is a big concern for sure. When I test drove it I brought it up, the PO said he doesn’t usually fill the tank more than half and it keeps the smell at bay. My first thought was maybe fuel filler neck/elbow split at top of tank. When I drove it the 1 hour home (took a fire extinguisher with me) there was less than half a tank in it and it was still stinking.

I have drained the tank, replaced all fuel lines and clamps, and added a new fuel filter (near rear wheel, not in engine bay). The old fuel line was wet to the touch between pump and carb.

I also found the rubber breather hoses were cracked and just crumbled when I touched them. I have replaced red number 24 in this pic and the other ones I can access at the top of the engine bay.

9472963B-F24A-4215-9E2F-7C4B57B9B520.jpeg

I removed the paint can lid thingo behind the battery to try and get a look at what condition the rubber filler was in. Also tried to loosen/drop the fire wall with the engine in place to get a glimpse. No joy! Could see bugger all.

The fuel smell is way better, but my partner reckons she can still smell it a bit when sitting in the back. Thoughts? Going to have to drop the engine to access the top of the fuel tank to inspect?

10. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

You need to pull the engine, remove the tank and replace 7 & 6 also

Xhai and David H like this.
  11. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

It might be her perfume:eek: don't tell her that:oops::(:confused::confused:o_O.It may also be flammable :rolleyes:
    As Luckyphil has mentioned. It's an engine out to remove that panel to access the tank,it does make it easier. A 73 fuel tank if it is original it has two smaller breather outlets on either side of the top of the tank which is 1/4 inch hose required to replace,to which connects to metal lines.(24 blue on top of tank)but it also has a larger 14mm outlet on top of the tank in the middle (not shown in above diagram)which has a 90 degree rubber elbow which is obsolete know Part No#211 201 157A when you get to it I replaced it with a 70's beetle breather hose which is 15mm internal diameter ,which one of them has a similar shape to what you need just need to cut beetle one to the correct lengths.
    70 beetle breather system for there tank there is three or four different ones available,like I said one has close shape required that will do the job.Don't forget the hose clamps.;)
    Also while you are at the tank,is your sender unit working(does the gauge read)it may also need the seal that goes under the sender unit to be replaced,the sender unit is the tubular style 5 bolt sender unit. Depends on your gauges what sender you have,as 73 the sender changes over to the bayonet fixing with a toilet bowl float style.
    photo below is off a 72 -73 tank.
    219.jpg
    If your gauges are like this you have the above tank,if they are different you have the other style tank.I think you still need a seal under the sender just a different one as the seal sits on the sender instead of being a sandwich with the 5 bolt sender.if you get my drift.
    423.jpg

12. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  13. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

It is just possible to remove engine firewall by dropping engine an inch n removing carbs.

I would put an inspection camera in there first as usualy those hoses last better than the engine bay ones.

Any splits in filler elbow are easily felt with fingers just inside fuel cap hole on outer edge.

Xhai and onetrackwonder like this.
  14. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Check for weeping on carb joins to manifolds, tighten carb top screws.
    Weeping off accelerator pump arm indicates diaphram split or screws loose.

Ensure the fuel spiggot into carbs are tight.
    Good form to remove if loose and peen, refit and epoxy.

15. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to KC !
    Looks like a good base to start your journey with.
    Engine has had an alternator upgrade....that’s an added bonus.!...much better than the original generator.
    Ask heaps of questions.....the correct answer will usually pop up....that’s how we all learn here ;)
    For what it’s worth.....forget bodywork and paint until the mechanicals are sorted.....you’ll burn money on paint n panel unnecessarily......obviously deal with any urgent rust issues but leave the tarting up until you have plenty of spare cash.....
    New baby you say ?
    No spare cash for at least 20 years.......!
    Enjoy the ride :cool:
    Cheers,
    Mark

David H likes this.
  16. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Not quite so.
    You state it is a 1973 thus you should not have the parts as per the diagram - your fuel filler will be a metal one and essentially a right angle bend and one section of pipe there after up to the fuel tank ..... a picture of the pipe (all black) out of my 1973 and the replacement pipe I bought and installed - poor picture quality as from another post and botophucket have screwed the clarity.

[​IMG]

JKA also state this part will fit - https://www.justkampers.com.au/211-201-125-d-fuel-filler-hose-vw-t2-bay-1972-1979.html
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  17. Xhai

Xhai Active Member

Hey Wayne. Thanks for all the info! I do have those gauges, so my tank will be the same as the one you’ve shown.

My fuel sender is working correctly luckily. I filled the tank in 20l increments after draining to see how accurate it was. Could still have a worn rubber seal under the sender though contributing to the smell. I’ll check it out.

18. Xhai

Xhai Active Member

If/when my sender fails, I’ll definitely be fitting one of those inspection ports from bcf as mentioned in that thread. Looks like a pretty handy mod!

David H likes this.
  19. Xhai

Xhai Active Member

Cheers cbus. That’s a good point - I’ll check my carb for any sign of fuel leakage. Will check and see what condition the gasket is in under the carb top too.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    cbus likes this.
  20. Xhai

Xhai Active Member

Thanks for the message Mark.

Haha 20 years??:eek: You’re not the first person to say that! :p

Good advice about the bodywork. I was going to ignore the crap paint job on it for a while but I’ve already made a start on the body. Couldn’t look at it any longer!

I’m prepping it myself and painting it with a mate from work, so costs will be minimal. He’s a hobbyist painter and has done some cars before. I’m not after a show car finish, but we’ll do it in 2 pack so I’m confident it’ll turn out nice. We’re able to do it at work in the warehouse as they have a compressor and paint gun set up etc.

Grantus and oldman like this.