1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'73 purchase. My resto thread with photos and questions

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Xhai, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Xhai

Xhai Active Member

Yeah, back to metal in some areas. Not the whole bus though thankfully.

Early knock off today then will head in for some more sanding. Pics to follow

oldman and TeeBee like this.
  2. Xhai

Xhai Active Member

More progress:

17CE09FA-4B85-4837-9D89-97102ED295EF.jpeg

3. Xhai

Xhai Active Member

Can anyone give me any opinions on cab door seals? Just kampers have 2 types by the look of it:

0D25C60E-38D7-4CD8-B37E-B80032BD0BEB.jpeg

07D52FF0-B334-48B8-8B0B-1C1ED5016524.jpeg

Very big difference in price. How bad/difficult to fit are the $40 ones likely to be?

4. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Cheaper option most likely a Brazilian made door rubber,which will fit but a few corners (profile)will be cut short(not there) The second dearer option is from a Europe (Germany I think) company vewib which are meant to have a higher quality product rubber like OEM,except it will depend on your doors as well.As the rubber down hinge side are to hard,thick and you will have trouble shutting your door. If the doors are original to the car (from manufacturer)the genuine style rubber will fit very well. Also have had no accident body damage.
    There is a third option which a company in USA (airhead parts) make there own door rubber.It is priced in between the two above,(on there website)they fit very well,I haven't glued mine yet (still need a bit)and at least I can shut the door. Only issue at current is that the dollar is crap and freight might sting at the current moment. I have a set of VW Brazilian ones if your willing to pay for postage ,I can send them to you. The profile on them are different and I have never tried them and you could see what they are like before splashing out to much cash.
    I still would buy the dearer option if they where the only two options and yes I have the dearer set I got from a VW seller and I couldn't shut the door and yes they are not original doors to the car(original to year) I have an original car with original doors as well and the oem rubbers fit on that car like a glove.
    So the issue is quality of rubber and original doors make difference on how rubbers will fit your car. That's my 2cents worth opinion .

OSF, Poptop, Mordred and 4 others like this.
  5. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

and a good opinion it is :)
    I see your doors sit flush with the body now. You may need to adjust the latch and let them sit out a bit for the first year or two ;). If you are really keen you can slice a bit off the back of the rubber here and there

TeeBee and Xhai like this.
  6. Xhai

Xhai Active Member

Thanks for the thorough reply Wayne. Very helpful info!

I’d definitely be interested in your spare set of Brazilian seals. I’ve just sent you a PM.

7. Xhai

Xhai Active Member

G
    Good to know, cheers. Sounds like it’ll be a bit of trial and error. Current ones are too far gone to recycle unfortunately

8. Xhai

Xhai Active Member

Finally finished the sanding on Friday and got a coat of 2k etch primer on the sides, back, and roof.

So nice to see it all one colour again :D

3967F659-D613-49AE-8BC4-E3457E819204.jpeg

198E71A6-A380-4652-923A-03F1004EA49B.jpeg

5DC196F5-4EAF-4FD3-A5F7-5BA1AB2A95F5.jpeg

TeeBee, Kombiklown2, Syncro27 and 8 others like this.
  9. Xhai

Xhai Active Member

Hey guys,

Can anyone give me some advice on window seals?

I’ll be removing all my glass in the next couple of weeks and refitting it all with new seals after I’ve finished painting. (Scared of what rust might be uncovered).

I’m looking online and prices vary quite a bit. Any brands to avoid? Looks like it’s worth buying the most expensive you can afford. Vewib brand looks to be at the top end?

Has anyone bought from Aussie store ‘righteous kombis’? They said their seals are great quality, a German brand but Malaysian made :confused:

I’ve been reading up and watching videos on glass removal and installation but any tips would be great.

Thanks

10. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

I have bought Vewib and been very happy

that said - the Malaysian 1303 curved windscreen rubber I bought years was brilliant
    @Wayne murray has just gone through all this - so let’s see what he has to say

Xhai likes this.
  11. Wayne murray

It is the same with window rubbers as is door rubbers. How they are made not always by whom!. Again it has a lot to do with the body itself. (repaired or untouched) I had a vewib windscreen rubber that didn't fit to what I like. I took it out and put another brand in that was alot better. I know the windscreen area on my car had a new front put on,which may be a factor also the rubber on the vewib had a smaller outside lip on the rubber then the other brand. So brands can be a bit of hit n miss.
    Mostly vewib over all is a good brand,west coast metric is another,I would prefer this brand over most and also hit n miss is wolfsburg west. It is an expensive exercise to find out what is good or bad and in some case is the only way to find out unfortunately.
    I also had a set of vewib rubber for a beetle fitted well. Best door handles for kombi vewib, oem style how they are made.
    Overall if vewib germany is a good brand.
    West coast metric for me would be the pick as the quality of rubber seems to be better quality of silicone used in there products.
    (for window rubbers)
    wolfburg west are also pretty good, again the USA companies can have to do with where they get it made.
    1/4 rear side window EIS brand is the best.
    airhead parts have one of the best bay window front door rubbers.
    window scrappers (outer and inner) get a Germany quality ones ,I still use the old original clips as the new ones are made out of tin and they don't supplier enough like original (4-5 supplied) instead of 8. Outer window scrapper what I've seen need a little trimming of aluminium section to make the clips all fit,as they don't allow for all 5 bailey clips.

Never brought or heard off righteous kombis
    Installing windows silicone spray is your friend and you may also need a friend to help install them and the use of cord or
    robe around 6mm is needed. I've always been told that the join of the rubber should be at the top and the original kombi I had was also at the top,it probably really doesn't matter.
    I start with putting in the window from the top first and work your way around and the bottom in last. (this is my preference).
    Getting them out if the rubbers are old,dry and cracking best way is to get a Stanley knife and cut the rubber to get the glass out.
    This in my opinion on what I experienced with brands and fitting off them.

12. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Avoid like the plague. @Wayne murray talks sense above.
    Cheers

Wayne Walsh and Wayne murray like this.
  13. Xhai

Xhai Active Member

Very helpful reply once again Wayne! Thanks for taking the time. I think I'll try my luck with the vewib ones. Though I might have to shop around a bit, fair few of the seals I need are out of stock on JK.

Cheers

Wayne murray likes this.
  14. Xhai

Xhai Active Member

Ok, good to know. Thanks David

15. Xhai

Xhai Active Member

Hi all.

I’ve been chipping away at the body still. There were a few dings and dents/imperfections I’ve been working on - skim coats with body filler to try and get the panels looking as smooth as I can. It’s time consuming! Very keen to get the colour on soon.

The roof had a crease in it that ran about half way along. On Friday I got it as smooth as I could and hit it with some high build primer.

4562B769-852C-43D6-AE51-A94609E17716.jpeg

537BD082-2175-4B9E-B458-4D8963617894.jpeg

5B198BCE-EC56-4DB5-A03F-92260A0B4C96.jpeg

E9CB14FC-4FDE-4BB7-A2D3-7BB892BFD94C.jpeg

16. Xhai

Xhai Active Member

Hi all,

I’m still alive and so is the kombi. Been going and going with the paint prep. Colour will be going on very soon!

2k high build primer

53B63E24-6433-4FC3-A2D3-33BF9F1708FA.jpeg
    0610566D-F746-4928-A612-B5D61B932166.jpeg
    7DC4D843-8C01-4C2C-9F81-07403929E725.jpeg
    B14A2F6E-432B-4030-A339-1C093610A0CB.jpeg

omelette81, Syncro27, melissa and 2 others like this.
  17. Xhai

Xhai Active Member

I’ve been using a guide coat on the primed panels - 3M black carbon powder. I lightly sand this off with a large sanding block to reveal any slight highs and lows. Works really well. You can see the little dark patches in the pics below.

A4E3C0A8-5A6E-43DD-99CA-52631F85798E.jpeg ABFA1F59-6CEC-4B5C-9748-BF006D662424.jpeg

18. Xhai

Xhai Active Member

I’ve finally got the glass out. Really happy with the condition of the window sills all around. Except the windscreen sill - got a rust hole there to take care of.

B5B812A1-F3F0-448D-A3C7-B55C64FB6AEA.jpeg

Syncro27 and Wayne murray like this.
  19. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

@Xhai

looking good - but gotta ask.
    Why don’t you unscrew the mirror and take the door handles off.

Admittedly - T2 door handles are a pain in the bum compared to T3 but still worth the effort

Xhai, Wayne murray and oldman like this.
  20. Wayne murray