1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

74 Bay of interest

Discussion in 'Buying and selling help' started by GeorgiT2, Dec 31, 2018.

1. GeorgiT2

GeorgiT2 Active Member

Oh. I see. I hadn’t considered that.

2. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

And some members don't own any VWs at all.

Grantus and oldman like this.
  3. GeorgiT2

GeorgiT2 Active Member

OIC

606CF5CB-F716-4876-A09C-956E88D165D4.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2019
  4. GeorgiT2

GeorgiT2 Active Member

:pONE VISION.

We’re now the proud owners of a ‘74 1303 Super Bug, “Ollie”. The previous owner’s name we’ve kept, it reflects the original paint colour, ‘Martini Olive’. I was about to say “the paint name is so 70’s” , but I hesitate. A lot of you people probably love martini’s. :p
    We’ve christened the project “One Vision”, since I hope to share the project with my daughter and then for her to take on the car in two years when she gets her licence. It’s also a reference to Queen, who wrote Bohemian Rhapsody about the same time this car was built, and had a penchant for trying new and crazy things!
    She drove it home and quickly came up to speed with the wide gearbox pattern, unsusual clutch throw and unassisted brakes. It’s got some surface rust, but pretty solid, and has the look of having been cared for at least in recent years. The motor came out three years ago for an overhaul. First task, a good wash, take the plates off and investigate an intermittent ignition switch. Thanks for your interest.

KahunaKombi and oldman like this.
  5. Nozza

Nozza Well-Known Member

Great stuff!
    Looks good.

6. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

Well done...one that can be driven already :) ... my first couple of cars were 60s beetles in the 70s - good times

7. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Let's make it a full size image to show it off ;)

Looks schweeet :D ..... the chrome rims - possibly Mangels are worth keeping, removing any rust from (aluminium foil scrunched up with Coca Cola or just water and a gentle to medium pressure gets rid of rust on chrome) or getting re-chromed :D ..... same with the bumpers :)

8. GeorgiT2

GeorgiT2 Active Member

I like the fat wheels that protrude ever so slightly past the front guards. Whether the RWC inspector will remains to be seen. That’s a bridge well down the river.
    Thanks. I was going to start with wet and dry sandpaper, but I’ll give the foil a try. We’ve got a 248 km roll of it in the cupboard from Costco. :D
    After one sheared Bumper Bar mounting bolt and a dropped and smashed fog light lens, I learnt my first lesson of disassembly: don’t rush. The fog light is a Nichibei brand. Anyone heard of them or know where I can get a replacement? I can’t find it.

9. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

yep, don't rush...plan ahead and spray penetrating oil on bolts a day before you want to undo them.

haven't heard of the fog light brand

probably time to start a new thread for your beetle :) with lots of pics

10. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Not heard of that brand of fogs either...... Overseas eBay specials, by the previous owner perhaps?

Hella was the VW supplier for many of their lenses, and accessory fog and driving lights.

Wouldn’t stress about the fog light........just replace both with decent ones. ;)

11. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Have you tried the crayon method? :rolleyes:

Not tried it myself, but have read about it, with good results........

Melt a crayon with a portable gas torch onto the thread. As it melts down into the thread, it fully lubricates the stubborn bolt to allow it to be removed.

Results I’ve seen, were on vertical threads, where gravity assists, so I don’t know if would work as well on horizontal bolts.

12. GeorgiT2

GeorgiT2 Active Member

Ok. Pre lube old thread. Start new thread.

tintop likes this.
  13. GeorgiT2

GeorgiT2 Active Member

Will try it. I’m good with crayons. Thanks.

14. GeorgiT2

GeorgiT2 Active Member

Hmm. You’re probably right. Easier to replace both with new LED set.

15. GeorgiT2

GeorgiT2 Active Member

A Victorian solution for wheel CHROMING anyone?

16. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

17. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

18. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Also check Geelong area as well. For chrome platers. If you are planning on chrome platting wheels,you do know that the wheel and rim must be separated to chrome plate it right and the two half put back together again after they are chromed.
    As the deep valley where the wheel and rim meet chrome platers can work or treat this area probably if left as one,later causing issues with the chrome finish.

19. Nozza

Nozza Well-Known Member

I used a bloke in Dandenong / Keysborough for my Jag Mk X stuff, about 15 years ago, maybe AA Vinney .
    Did a very good job.
    If only the car was back in one piece.....

20. GeorgiT2

GeorgiT2 Active Member

Thanks a lot. No I didn’t know that. Seems getting wheels chromed is more involved than I thought.