74 Bay Poptop Restoration

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Sallap, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Sallap

Sallap Member

Hi All

I had have been a member for a few months now have been logging in regularly to pick up tips and read about the fantastic restorations that have been documented in the club's forums. This is my first post as I have been busy since the beginning of April with my own project - a 74 Bay Poptop van. I planned to do a pretty thorough restoration to end up with a van that my wife and I can use for driving holidays and meeting up with some more Kombi enthusiasts.

I started looking for a van towards the end of 2010 and finally settled on one I found in Canberra at the beginning of March (no point rushing in!).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It is a pretty solid van with small amounts of rust in various places and dents in others but nothing like some that I have seen. The engine has been rebuilt quite recently and appears to run very well with no sign of any blue smoke. The 5 rib gearbox seems good except that it doesn't like to stay in second sometimes when decelerating.There has been a fire in the engine bay quite recently - the result of a perished fuel hose I was told.

All in all it seems like a good starting point for a resto job.

Looking forward to hearing from club members

Paul

2. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Paul,

Looks like an excellent camper you have there. I'm sure you will "adjust" it to suit your needs.

Get into it now so you can enjoy it when the big freeze is over.

Cheers,

3. Sallap

Sallap Member

Thanks guys
    That is the plan - to be able to enjoy some small trips once the weather warms up and get into the Kombi lifestyle again.

4. KombiDamo

KombiDamo New Member

Looks great! Cant wait to see what you do to it. :)

5. Sallap

Sallap Member

The first stage of my restoration was to check out the chassis and underside of the van - it was in very good nick with only a bit of rust under the bumper bar bulkhead. After removing all the road grime I applied a coat of brush on sound deadener which worked for about 5 minutes until the brush gummed up and became all but unusable. So I went to plan B which was spraying on a coat of chassis black -which is much more user friendly.

I'll leave the rust till later.

I removed all the old seam sealer from the inside of the wheel arches and applied new brush on sealer. Once the sealer had cured I coated the wheel arches with the chassis black.

[​IMG]

6. Sallap

Sallap Member

Thanks guys
    That is the plan - to be able to enjoy some small trips once the weather warms up and get into the Kombi lifestyle again.

7. Sallap

Sallap Member

The next stage was to remove the poptop and strip the inside of the van to expose any other rust spots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are a few spots of rust like this where some of the pop rivets holding the fixed part of the poptop down were
    [​IMG]

A bit of existing damage to the rear lower corner will need some attention.
    [​IMG]

8. Sallap

Sallap Member

More photos of what's in store for the next few months

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first repair to the drivers side centre window.
    [​IMG]

Its amazing what you find once you start digging around - both sides have been repaired before and had about 5mm of bog on them.

[​IMG]

More photos soon

Regards Paul

9. Sallap

Sallap Member

The next stage was to get the old paint off - which is definitely easier said than done. The paint stripper looked like it was doing a great job (see below) but it was only attacking the top coats. Even scratching the paint up with some 40 grit paper didn't help much - that original khaki coloured primer/undercoat is bloody tough.

[​IMG]

After asking around someone suggested the strip and clean disks. There are a few different types and they are rated at different speeds so it is important to get one that is rated for your grinder. They do an excellent job and the secret is to keep them moving so as not to build up too much heat in one area.

After many hours of work and with lots of help from my father we had most of the paint off and some etch primer on some of the bare metal. then it was time to repair some of the bigger rust jobs.

[​IMG]

Firstly the inner framework which had rusted quite badly was welded up.

[​IMG]

A piece of roof section sourced from a wreckers was cut to suit.

[​IMG]

To be continued

Regards Paul

10. Sallap

Sallap Member

What appeared to be a small spot of rust that had started around one of the pop rivet holes had eaten through the roof and the structural steel at the top of the B pillar.
    [​IMG]

The internal structure was repaired first then painted with rust converter to slow down any return of the dreaded oxidisation.

[​IMG]

The battery tray on the drivers side was removed to make way for a new one (about $45) which will support the battery with a bit more metal
    [​IMG]

The original front repair was cut out and a new piece welded in so that only a thin skim of filler will be required (hopefully).
    [​IMG]

11. Sallap

Sallap Member

Taking the roof back to bare metal before coating with etch primer.

[​IMG]

Then it was time to start smoothing things out with a bit of filler.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's good to see a bit of paint going back on to the car for a change.

[​IMG]

Still a fair way to go - but its been good fun so far!!!!!

12. TheYorkieBar

TheYorkieBar Active Member

good progress mate....

13. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Wow,

Great job - youre really attacking this with all guns blazing!

I thought you were just going to get out the cut and polish and a bit of tyre shine.

Its going to be an awesome camper when finished.

14. Lamo

Lamo New Member

Good job Paul, Nice work on some of those rust repairs.

15. Sallap

Sallap Member

Thanks Lamo - It's good to see the back of the rust repairs and see the van in etch primer.

[​IMG]

The guys at work think they're pretty funny

[​IMG]

The next stage was to take the poptop and the doors to a spray booth for the 2k primer application. My painter Rob prepares the top for the paint.

[​IMG]

The doors getting their primer

[​IMG]

16. Sallap

Sallap Member

After a couple of coats of 2k primer and a sand with 400 grit paper the top was painted in Old English White.

[​IMG]

The doors were also primed and guide coated.

[​IMG]

Back to the van - the seam sealer was tooled in using masking tape as a guide and finished with a wipe of prepsol to get the smooth look.

[​IMG]

Sealer finished - ready for the 2K primer.
    [​IMG]

17. Sallap

Sallap Member

We painted the floor from the front through to the back with an underbody shutz style paint so that it would be possible to walk around the inside of the car when it was time to paint the roof (see below). Hopefully it will also help with the sound deadening as well.
    [​IMG]

the van with a two or three coats of 2K primer and a guide coat - now to look forward to a bit of sanding. We also painted the inside of the van with Old English White which is the colour of the top half of the van.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After about a weeks sanding (2-3 hrs a day) with 400 grit then a finish with 800 grit the van is just about ready for some topcoat on the outside.

[​IMG]

18. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

You realise you only need 2 bumpers ;-)

Well done, nice work.

Adrian

19. TheYorkieBar

TheYorkieBar Active Member

What paint/primer is the spray painter using that allows him to not wear a mask?

20. Sallap

Sallap Member

A final wash down to get rid of the majority of the chalky sanding residue

[​IMG]

then off to the spray booth for some colour

[​IMG]

Firstly the van body was painted with 3 coats of the Old English White.

[​IMG]

folllowed by the all the doors, bumpers,engine lid and covers

[​IMG]