75 Auto Camper

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by jtkombi, May 27, 2015.

1. jtkombi

jtkombi Active Member

After trawling these threads for years, I'm finally starting our resto. I'm getting very excited now. It'll be spread out over a while but it's finally happening.

She's a pretty solid camper that's been used sporadically over the last 5 years. She's holding up well for a 40 year old girl, a few scraps and dents and a couple of spots of rust but fairly solid.

The plan is to do a big trip around Oz or several smaller trips. Not sure as yet.

Seeing we have a solid base, we've going to do the resto a bit backwards, motor and running gear first. Safety is the main objective as we've got 3 young kids. Followed by retrimming all interior parts that are removable, seats doorcards, poptop canvas etc, then further down the track, rust and respray. So, it's the mechanical that's getting a big injection of cash first.

I've had the carbies and alternator rebuilt last year and the last few times I've taken it out the oil light has started flickering at idle after a decent run. From what I can gather, it's low oil pressure and a rebuild coming. I tossed around the idea of a Subaru swap but just couldn't pull the trigger on it.

After talking to Frank at Volksvair and speaking to Darren, Coastalkombi (thanks mate) singing Franks engine building praises, deposits are paid and we've booked her in. We want it to be as maintenance free as possible. So we're going to spruce her up from 1.8lt to 2lt, put in electronic ignition, hydraulic lifters, deep oil sump (I think) and tidy her up. While the engines out, repaint the engine bay, tidy up the tin wear and get the auto freshened up.

Here's what she looks like at the moment in her natural state. More to come soon

Attached Files:

2. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Back on the road in time for Revolks?

3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

smart move re the priorities.
    being stuck on the side of the road with [or without] kids is no fun.
    likewise giving the brief to Frank.
    Body can wait. A bit of lanolin or ankor wax will hold any sus areas for a couple of years.

be careful when connecting battery or coil wires with electronic ign.
    A lot of them have no tolerance for reverse polarity.
    Doesn't hurt to have a points replacement setup [either points or a full dissy] in spares box if going bush. [check with Frank.]

4. jtkombi

jtkombi Active Member

The plan is to have all the running gear sorted by Revolks. If i can get the interior done by then too, even better. Can't wait to cruise the great ocean road in a convoy.

The body can wait although I'm itching to replace door seals. I figure best to do them after painting.

5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

no problem to do door seals now.
    use good quality german ones so that doors will still close properly
    only a dab of contact glue on spots that wont stay of their own accord and they will be easily removable later without damage

6. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Stay air cooled - you'd miss that all too familiar sound from the engine bay :D

7. jtkombi

jtkombi Active Member

That was one of the biggest deciding factors in keeping it air cooled. Going to give that familiar sound a bit more go too with a Vintage speed exhaust. :)
    Also, who's the best to get door seals from. Vewib seems to be the ones to use but who sells them??

8. Happy_Camper

Happy_Camper Active Member

Got all my seals from the busstop, only went for the German ones, expensive but will be worth it in the long run.
    Cheers

jtkombi likes this.
  9. jtkombi

jtkombi Active Member

20150713_220956.jpg

Front doors seals arrived today from the Bus Stop. They'll be going in over the next week.
    Also got hold of some original 1/4 front flipper windows, I'll give them a clean up and get them in, just in time for winter.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  10. jtkombi

jtkombi Active Member

20150831_162321.jpeg Frank dropped the motor the other week ready for the big rebuild.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  11. jtkombi

jtkombi Active Member

While the engine was out, I grabbed the trani for a bit of servicing. It would clunk sometimes when putting it in reverse and slip between 2nd and 3rd. As you can see it was in need of a makeover, probably never looked at in 40 years. It was caked in oil and muck. What it looked like before -

Attached Files:

12. jtkombi

jtkombi Active Member

And after a few replacement parts and a good going over, you can actually read the code. Can't wait to get it back in now and see how she performs.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
    janus77 and Chidori like this.
  13. jtkombi

jtkombi Active Member

Had the starter rebuilt as well. Before -

Attached Files:

14. jtkombi

jtkombi Active Member

After -

Attached Files:

janus77 likes this.
  15. jtkombi

jtkombi Active Member

It's amazing how quickly the time goes when your having fun.

Revisiting this thread, was going to start another but will keep this going instead.

Our Kombi has been running around for the last 2 years no problem, the engine rebuild and trani service has kept us chugging along. The trip around OZ hasn't eventuated but have done plenty of smaller trips. Did a run to Kangaroo Island last year (thread attached) http://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/kangaroo-island.53693/#post-580990, Revolks weekend and finally got to do a run along the Great Ocean Road in a Kombi Konvoy, plenty of day trips and a lap of Tassie this year.

16. jtkombi

jtkombi Active Member

During the third last day in Tassie, the diff developed a whine, then a shudder over 80kms, then dropped it's contents at a campsite when we parked up that night.
    It did allow me to get this photo whilst we were letting the diff/trani cool down along the drive. You can't see it here but my wife is madly cooking dinner for hungry kids on the other side of the kombi.

orca_share_media1499053588197.png

A quick trip to a driveline place in Launceston the next day, where they emptied the auto fluid (and metal shavings) from the diff, topped her back up and we limped home to the ferry.
    Back home, we've dropped the motor, auto box and diff. The crown wheel and pinion is cactus from the seal rupturing and auto fluid leaking into the diff. It's now heading to Aaron Roberts in QLD to get rebuilt. I figured while that's all out, we're getting the bodywork done, rust sorted and resprayed.

Let the next chapter in the journey (and expenses) begin.

David H likes this.
  17. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Never ends, does it?

18. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

First time I have read this thread.Sound like you've done a far bit of travelling and plenty of fun along the way. Hope that the rest of your Kombi journey finishing up the old girl goes smoothly for you .

jtkombi likes this.
  19. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Looks like a pretty solid Kombi, so a bit of bodywork and respray should keep it going for ages.
    I like it.

20. jtkombi

jtkombi Active Member

No unfortunately, but matters of the heart rarely do.

David H and melissa like this.