75 Auto Camper

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by jtkombi, May 27, 2015.

1. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Interested to learn more about these jtkombi.
    Cheers

JoshG likes this.
  2. jtkombi

jtkombi Active Member

I got it through DAS Resto a few years ago. Haven't checked the costs lately but the Aussie dollar was better then, they are expensive though but worth it in my opinion. I'm sure you'll love it, everyone that I've spoken to that has them thinks they are great. My only issue is the wider turning circle but once you're use to it you can allow for it. It's a worthy upgrade I believe and easily changeable back to original running gear. Would be keen to hear your thoughts when you get it in. I'm sure you'll notice a difference when you're cruising the highway :)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  3. jtkombi

jtkombi Active Member

I had a hairy moment a few years ago with the old worn out steering box, oncoming traffic at 100kmh, the kombi not responding as it should and I figured keeping the family safe was a high priority. I thought about keeping it original and replace all the old running gear (still have the original beam just incase) but bit the bullet and upgraded. I've driven a couple of kombis since swapping it over and I'm convinced more than ever it was worth it. Doesn't wander on the road, wind buffering from trucks are no problem, feels tighter and more in control when turning and seems to have less body roll especially when going through roundabouts, but that may be because they sit lower. Side winds still get you (kombis are a big brick after all) but it's not like your constantly fighting to keep the thing straight. It just makes cruising a whole lot easier.

At the highest setting they still sit about an inch lower than standard suspension. I've kept the rear suspension the same (may change that one day) so gives it a slightly old school forward raked look that I like. Should help us go faster too :rolleyes::p;)

I had a couple of issues with the initial setup but that was more to do with the guys I used tp install it than anything else. They set it too low which I didn't like, so got them to change it to highest setting. It was in Geelong at the time, so I train it down, picked up the Kombi afterhours and drove it an hour home. The tyres squealed on every bump, was a rough ride and it tracked really badly on the highway, pulling into all the wheel ruts. I thought that something wasn't done right or I had just a made the worst decision ever by getting it. Checked in with the installing mob the next day and when they had raised it they hadn't redone the wheel alignment:rolleyes::eek:. Took it down to the local Tyrepower (who were very impressed with the Red 9 setup) to get new tyres as the drive home had eaten up the old ones. New wheels and alignment and I adjusted the shocks to about the 4th softest setting I think. After that it was a real pleasure to drive. Even my wife commented how much better improved the steering was the first time she drove it. Definitely a worthy upgrade if you can do it.

David H and OSF like this.
  4. andrew

andrew Active Member

Thank JT
    What a great summary- I will follow your lead and set it as close as I can to the original height.
    Engine first then I will look forward to the front end upgrade.
    It is a big cost but I want the car to be as safe and easy to drive as possible.
    Best to everyone- thx very much for the comments as ever.
    Andrew

5. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the info & your experience jt. Loved to hear the story & how good it is now & can see why you chose that. Did it require engineering? What did you do re the tired steering box?
    Cheers