75 T2 Camper Lachlan - Griffith NSW

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Lachlan, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Lachlan

Lachlan New Member

Hi team,

I have just purchased my 1st Kombi from Melbourne Victoria. It is a 1975 T2 Kombi Camper (Sopru). It has limited service history but it runs and has plates on it. I am looking to create a cruiser/camper to enjoy around town as well heading off on weekend trips etc. My wife and I are both teachers so we have school holidays to explore different parts of Australia.

I have limited mechanical skills but in saying that I am pretty handy on the tools and have my old man's workshop which has an abundance of tools and supplies. I am a great organiser and have a steady stream of cash so I am confident I can create something to be proud of in the next 2-3 years.

My current to do plus wish list
    - replace both rear cylinders
    - tighten rear wheel bearings
    -fix stuck front right calliper
    - deal with surface rust and rust on drivers door and step as well as new windscreen
    - Carby is leaking so needs attention
    - Clean up underneath and try to reduce oil leaks
    - Replace all seals (including window seals + engine seal etc.)
    - New pop top
    - dual batt set up with 240v plug in
    - no kitchen inside (except fridge) but cupboards without obstructing any windows and 3/4 or full bed
    - fold out seat behind passenger seat
    - add an annex
    - hook up heating and cooling (it is disconnected at the moment for some reason)

Overall I want a good looking (not showroom) reliable Kombi to cruise and camp in...

Any comments or questions go for it.. .. I need some direction.

Lachlan Date IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0004.JPG IMG_0013.JPG

David H, Syncro27 and Grantus like this.
  2. type2mania

type2mania Member

Looks good as it is, congratulation for your purchase ! Fix it up mechanically, get it registered in your state and enjoy...

David H and Lachlan like this.
  3. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Lachlan, looks solid :)
    If you're doing the rear brake cylinders then do the brake shoes as well ...... if when you remove the brake drums (they may also need to be "honed") if the brake dust is moist then good chance it has got onto the shoes and they'll be cactus ...... if the adjustment holes on the back plate do not have plugs then get a set of them and keep moisture out. Link to brake parts - https://www.thebusstop.com.au/index.php?route=product/search&search=brake&page=3

Lachlan likes this.
  4. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

G'day and welcome Lachlan

Looks like a pretty clean kombi yo got there

Lachlan likes this.
  5. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Lachlan,
    Nice bus. Welcome to KC & many years of happy exploring ahead.
    Cheers

Lachlan likes this.
  6. Lachlan

Lachlan New Member

Cheers. Hopefully I can learn a few things on KC and help a few in the future.

7. David H

Hi Lachlan,
    You're about to learn new stuff that you never thought you'd need to know! Pretty sure Dad & his shed are going to get a few visits;) & that will strengthen bonds between the 4 of you (looks like I can't count but....shed, dad, Lachlan,Kombi):p.
    Your organisational skills already evident with the schedule. The rest will follow with determination & patience & it's evident you know how to eat an elephant:). For any 'how to' questions just post & the collective will answer. Lots of years of knowledge:cool:.
    So my first 'direction' is where's the water tank?
    Hard won:( advice is "Move that leaky carby problem to the TOP of your list". There's a spark distributor not far from there:oops:.
    Cheers

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  8. David H

Noble approach & in the spirit of this collective:D.
    If you want to 'help a few in the future' start a list of all the 'threads' you use. It'll make it easier later to help others.;)
    Cheers

9. Lachlan

Lachlan New Member

Wow! My toolbox keeps getting larger. After some solid research and budgeting I decided to strip out the interior. It was pretty good so I prepped from only the windows down (didn't want to bite of more than I could chew) and I cleaned up the underbody with a few wire brushes, yeah I wore out 2! Today I primed the underbody and applied stone guard and it looks really good.

Now that all the bare metal is sealed it is off to the mechanic for a FULL service, new carbys, fuel lines, overall tidy up and possible new push rods.

I am now looking at putting in some Subaru seats in the front to replace the old VB seats and also researching how to properly mount the rear RnR. I have contacted Jamie from Kustom Kombi but I am still awaiting a reply. Early next year it will be booked into the IKombi for new inner/outer sills, dog legs and lower windscreen area as they are all rust affected.

Next decision to make is do I stone guard inside or dynamat instead?

Attached Files:

10. Jethro

Jethro Active Member

Have you tried the rnr bed from Just Kampers? I wont need one now myself but when I spoke to the JK guys at the stand at Old Bar (bit over a month ago) they said they had a shipment of about 100 of their new fully ADR compliant ones in about a months time so that must be about now. I think they were going to be about $900