76 Bay - a family project

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by andrew, Mar 11, 2015.

1. andrew

andrew Active Member

Hi all - last year we bought a 1976 Bay Kombi for the kids and I to restore. My ideas are usually met with ridicule so I was rapt to get the tick from my wife and kids to buy a kombi restoration project.

From the moment we got the car home we have all spent time sorting through the parts and cleaning up the insides. I have benefited greatly from the wonderful repository of knowledge, info and pictures posted by everyone on this forum so I thought it was time to start adding some of my own.

To all who have sent notes, replied to posts - thank you. My dad bought a 1974 camper which we had great trips and many great memories when I was growing up. My wife, kids and I are now enjoying seeing this one come to life and will no doubt have a lot of fun with the car over many years to come.

It has been a great project to date - one that we have all got involved in. The car was bought from a panel beater as a project - tick one - the rust had been removed and the car primed. Bought as a wedding car for one of the owners -it never made the wedding timetable and work slowed considerably. The car was then used to keep the guys busy when the panel works was quiet. From quick start it slowed down and eventually stopped. the panel shop remained flat out ant the kombi took up space for the next 12 - 18 months waiting for the workshop to get quiet again.

Late last year we bought it and took it home. We spent the following months waiting for our painter to be free - we worked away on the insides, sorting out all the things we needed.

It terms of the car - we are building it for fun and not to be an original showpiece of 1976. If its going to be my car I want it to go ok, have the best quality mechanics (suspension, brakes) I have got very used to driving around with aircon - this has proved much more difficult to sort out and is a work in progress.

Paint: We have settled on red and pastel white (roof to below windows and interior)
    Bumpers pastel white, white GT strip down passengers side (front and back).
    I really like the white V of the old splits but a painted V on a bay would look average so I thought the GT strips would bring the white down onto the front. I note there are very few, photos of Kombi's with GT strips so it will be interesting to see how they come up.
    Red dash and under dash air distributor

Interior: I like tan but the family like cream and a red GT strip to the seats (8 seat config). We will sort out rubber for the flooring, we will use the bay to head to the beach and all like surfing. Any recommendations on upholsterers is welcome.

Hi just to add my costs as a comparison:
    Car and spare parts (extra engine, set of wheels and tyres), cost $6k (as per photo) zero rust happily
    Paint $5.5k
    Stereo (Kenwood DNX 5350 $1100, speakers$400 and amp $200) (+$600 for dynamat)
    Interior $3.5k (+$700 for seats)
    Rubbers $1200 (also bought new Quarter window +$100)
    Other bits and pieces $1500

I cant believe how much enjoyment I have got out of working on the car with my kids. They have, off their own bat, worked away stripping out the inside and we have all enjoyed the car before we have driven a km. I will be saying goodbye to my car and will look forward to many years of fun with the Kombi. Our family had a camper in the 70's so it will see us go full circle.

Next I will learn how to post some photos.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  2. andrew

andrew Active Member

3. andrew

andrew Active Member

4. andrew

andrew Active Member

Some shots of primer rubbed back - the pastel white started going on yesterday.

5. Happy_Camper

Happy_Camper Active Member

Nice work mate. It's a enjoyable experience. Can't wait to see the paint go on.
    Cheers Matt

6. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Great project. Agree with not painting a V on the front and not sure about GT stripes but waiting to be convinced. Keep us informed.

7. andrew

andrew Active Member

Thx - my wife shares your concerns about the GT strips, the kids are fully on board so we will see how they go.

On the vespa front my wife has a 1967 150 Super and I have a 2008 250Gts which I use daily to work and around Richmond where we live. In fact the red selected ended up being matched to Linda's vespa, I took the lid off the rear side storage and used it as my paint swatch. All good will be great to see the paint on.

8. Serious85

Serious85 Active Member

Looking good. I'll be waiting for more photos.

9. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

andrew
    great work. like you ours was a family project so i look fwd to seeing the progress

10. Jay Jay

Jay Jay Member

Looking forward to watching this resto. Very exciting!

11. andrew

andrew Active Member

kombi white roof.JPG IMG_6125.JPG IMG_6119.JPG IMG_6121.JPG kombi white roof.JPG kombi white finished.JPG

TassieDorm likes this.
  12. andrew

andrew Active Member

A few more pictures with the white inside, roof and down to the sills.

The red paint starts today - the main body painting should be completed this week with wheels, peddles, steering wheel etc next week. Thanks to everyone for the feedback - the car came with 2 sets of tyres and wheels, both mags - will decide this week on which set to do up.

Will also take the rear bull bar/ tow bar in and have it sand blasted and painted pastel white as well.

I have been hunting the final rubbers for the car. the only ones that I could not buy have been the ones for the side slider windows. The car has sliders in the main sliding door and opposite. The outer seal was originally plastic and no ones seems to have them, the same with the channel rubber/felt. I found the channel rubber pretty quickly but the outer rubber seal was looking very grim so I went back to the vintage supplier and we sorted out a similar profile which will do the job so I have a full collection of new rubber seals and gaskets for the car.

We are still no closer to agreement on the interior colour scheme - seems now everyone has a different idea or suggestion.

My garage has become piles of boxes with windows and other vw parts littered around. I can wait until I am putting the jigsaw back together.

TassieDorm and Serious85 like this.
  13. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Nice when you start to see shine and reflections on panels :)

14. andrew

andrew Active Member

15. andrew

andrew Active Member

A bit more shine reflection and finally some red. I am very happy with the colour and the GT strips.
    I know they wont be everyone's cup of tea but I was keen to get some pastel white down the front and back of the car.

16. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

I think it looks really good mate! Brave choice and i think you have pulled it off. I agree it breaks up the red nicely. Like the way you didnt go for a solid stripe too, looks retro.

Down the back too? White and black bumpers?

17. andrew

andrew Active Member

Thanks for the feedback - I am rapt - happy to hear both positive and negative thoughts.

Yes white and black bumpers - will look at the bumpers in white and the try the black rubber insert.

Yes the GT strips are the same at the back - will add pic's over the coming days. I mocked up about 20 versions of thick and thin lines and the above won the vote.

I walked around Phillip Island track looking at every car with GT strips and their upholstery. Stuck with the mocked up version but am very undecided about the seats and interior. Grey, tan, cream, camel????? I think red would be too strong.

Really welcome everyone's thoughts

18. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

We went thru a similar thing a while back when i was repainting the bumpers. We had them bare for a bit, but they never looked finished, plus the black rubber is great to protect the bumper paint (sticks out proud)

Re the seats, i recon either cream ( to match stripes) or tan. We went Cream sourced from Cam at Volkstyle in Vic. Great service :)

White paint, without rubbers:

[​IMG]

With rubber strips (will eventually paint wheels white too , to match)

[​IMG]

New seats:

[​IMG]

Hope this helps!

Dan
    PS: My outlaws live just up the road from the track on PI, nice spot :)

19. Lois lane

Lois lane Active Member

image.jpg Hey Andrew, nice colour choice image.jpg
    Thought I would show you the saddle brown, new seats, door cards etc for comparison
    Ours is a 76 camper that is nearly finished, just new cabinets to go
    Looks like you are all having fun enjoying the resto
    Cheers
    Kim

20. andrew

andrew Active Member

Thanks Dan and Kim - much appreciated - my worry with cream is my kids - I quite liked tan but my wife is not a fan so I am just thinking through the different colours so its very helpful to get photos and thoughts.

Phillip Island was great - there were 500 cars competing and anther 500 parked watching so plenty to look at. It must be nice to have an excuse to head down there. A nice part of the world.