76 Bay - a family project

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by andrew, Mar 11, 2015.

1. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Looks just like a new one - good work!

2. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Brave soul:cool:. Great work Andrew.:D
    Cheers

3. andrew

andrew Active Member

Actually it's been a great learning experience on air cooled motors - really like the design of all components and the engine. If I was redesigning I would make the bottom sump a full removable plate - otherwise can't fault the engine.
    Really happy I decided to redo the heads and case - despite taking ages the guys did a brilliant job and despite describing the type 4 engine as an anchor Rod Penrose was very helpful and had the bearings and cam needed which was great.

Does anyone have a size for the washer's on the bottom of the distributor gear - for som reason whoever rebuilt the engine omitted them which is sadly typical of the previous build.

Pretty keen to make it bullet proof as possible.

David H likes this.
  4. David H

Hi Andrew,
    They are truly one of the most amazing mechanical marvels I've ever seen. I've posted before "Just when you thought those German engineers were perfect they'll prove you otherwise". Now this comment does NEVER relate to a 2 ltr air cooled engine:D. There are some things that may have been done better on Kombis.:rolleyes:. The 2ltr air cooled engine is NOT one of them:D. Perfection:cool: especially if fuel injected;).
    Cheers

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  5. andrew

andrew Active Member

The weekend ended up with us in Melbourne and a good excuse to keep going with the engine.

Attached Files:

6. andrew

andrew Active Member

7. andrew

andrew Active Member

8. andrew

andrew Active Member

Down to the distributor and mounting studs - I'm thinking it might be better to drop the gearbox 6 inches and align the engine

9. andrew

andrew Active Member

Happily the stars have aligned and the engine has started. I added the detailed in the bay clinic - engine section. Still have the cam run in to perform but a very happy son and father listing to the engine burst into life. The red 9 suspension arrived but I am going to enjoy car going and then have a go at front suspension which I think should be pretty straight forward - maybe famous last words. The engine starting certainly has the air cooled novices very happy campers.

David H likes this.
  10. David H

Great to hear Andrew & bet it was great to hear running;).
    Nice Dak Dak was it?
    Nice to see happy campers:D.
    Bl**dy good work.
    Cheers

11. andrew

andrew Active Member

Thx David, very happy all round - the bumper and tow bar went back on tonight - fuel pump ended up needing to be replaced too. Engine feels great - will look forward to getting out and enjoying it back on the road.

To everyone who has provided feedback, advice and the generous time and encouragement - it's all been very much apreciated. It really is amazing how much information you have helped with. Thank you.

We have been very happy with all decisions on the engine - always helps when it goes - the carbi's, cam, rebuilt heads all have combined well. Very much still the dak dak rather than the porsche but feels very crisp.

Thx Andrew

David H likes this.
  12. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Congrats on all the work Andrew. :)

Another one properly saved & (almost) back on the road for many more years of enjoyment. ;)

Time to not only enjoy the ride.....but also enjoy the fruits of your labour.

andrew likes this.
  13. rabidkombi

rabidkombi Member

Fantastic work,very well done:)

andrew likes this.
  14. David H

Hi Andrew,
    Be reminded of the tortoise & the hare!;). A crisp tortoise is better than a flash hare:D:p.
    Cheers

andrew likes this.