1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

76 Bay - a family project

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by andrew, Mar 11, 2015.

1. andrew

andrew Active Member

Guys - the earth worked well. The only problem to right main light/ park light has stopped working and I not showing any power. I will chase it back to find out where it is failing

Inching closer - no current at the number plate light so I will need to sort out power but should be pretty straight forward.

Thanks for the advice.

Andrew

2. andrew

andrew Active Member

As ever getting time to work on the car is hard but I am getting there.

All electrics now working so I am very happy not to be chasing wires and looking at the wiring diagram for the 100th time.
    The steering has come together well with new Koni shockers tie rods etc all fitted.

Jobs to do:
    Fitting the radio and amp should be pretty straight forward.
    New gauges from speedhut have arrived and look great - I will need to make an insert to mount them in place of the existing insert and wire up the gauges.
    Fit the aircon system.
    interior upholstery - programmed in October which will drive me to finish the above in the next month.

I have been working on the air conditioning. I have 2 early 70's systems and will make one from them. Both were built for LHD kombis. The earlier one has a slight indent for the steering mount where the later one has a deeper indent more which matches the 76 steering wheel mount. I will need to modify the dash unit to fit RHD. Its proving to be pretty stubborn removing the cover, I have 2 choices, cut the LHS profile and swap it with the RHS or a remove the section under the steering wheel and fibreglass a moulding to accommodate the mount. I am leaning to the first option.

As ever all thoughts / suggestions are appreciated.

Andrew

3. andrew

andrew Active Member

4. andrew

andrew Active Member

I got the sliding windows back powder coated - very happy with the way they came up.

I also fitted the dash aircon unit on the weekend. I will make a steel front cover to match the profile of the dash board and have fixed vent slots rather than reuse the old cover as I think it will work better with the dash. I have also drawn an autocad gauge insert and will make it at the same time.

The dash colour is the same as the outside - the lights and flash seem to change it to an odd pink shade.

the last photo is the new tie rods and shockers in place.

5. andrew

andrew Active Member

6. andrew

andrew Active Member

I have been travelling a lot but and very keen to get the car on the road.

Jobs to do:
    Fitting the radio and amp should be pretty straight forward. (thought this would be much easier that it was - 1.5 days to get it all in place - very happy with the result - sounds great)
    New gauges from speedhut have arrived and look great - I will need to make an insert to mount them in place of the existing insert and wire up the gauges. (having inserts made up
    Fit the aircon system. (all that I can fit is in place - the pump will be fitted and the system gassed up next week)
    interior upholstery - programmed in October which will drive me to finish the above in the next month. (due for the second week in November.

Will add some photos.

7. andrew

andrew Active Member

8. andrew

andrew Active Member

9. andrew

andrew Active Member

The Stereo needed connections to endless points, very happy with the results, the sound is great and the 3 packs of dynamat should keep the cabin a bit quieter.

Stereo (Kenwood DNX 5350, speakers and amp)

I ended up with a box of Dynamat over as the upholster recommend a different insulation for the roof so I will go with that.

The Aircon has come together very well too. I was pretty nervious as to the condition of it but it is in great condition. I am having a new cover made so that it matches the main dash and I will paint it red.

All going to plan it will be ready to register at the end of November.

Happy_Camper likes this.
  10. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

lotsa noice new stuff underneath should add to the enjoyment and reliability once on the road.
    looking good.

11. deepburn13

deepburn13 Member

Wow looks amazing. Could I ask where you found the a/c units. Hard to find?

12. andrew

andrew Active Member

Yes Cbus very happy with koni and tie rods etc - amazing how good it is having things that are straight in place. The wheels turn with the steering wheel now rather than a delay. I feel like I have spent half my time lying under the bus so it is great to be working above the floor! The kids seem to see the underneath as a good place for me to be.

The a/c unit came off the samba from BC Canada. They were manufactured in Texas - it came with 2 dash panels (one early 70's and one from the mid 70's - both LHD. (I ended up using the earlier one) As per above I am having a new cover to match with the main dash. The difference was a deeper cut out for the steering bracket in the covers - very shallow for the early one and reasonably deep on the mid 70's otherwise very similar.

Everything was there, lines, condenser, even all the original switch nobs in good condition so very happy. Once I worked out the wiring it has all came together and worked perfectly.

I will need a new compressor (happily all the pulley adapters and brackets are there too). The modern compressors run the correct gas and use much less horsepower - this will go in next week.

Finding the units was a miracle - shipping and dealing with the endless agents, AQIS ended up being crazy but now that it is in the car and ready to finish off I am happy. I did wonder at times why I didn't fit a new kit or modify something - having stuck with an original system I was rapt as I fitted each bit and the fitted in like they were made for the kombi.

13. deepburn13

deepburn13 Member

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the project. Cheers

14. andrew

andrew Active Member

The following photos are of the stereo and wiring.

Attached Files:

15. andrew

andrew Active Member

Photos 1 and 2 are the mounting for the head unit: left side fixed to the dash and the right side is fixed to the heater leaver central post
    The third shot is the amp which I set up at the back of the passenger seat, photo 4 is the fuse sitting under the amp
    The 5th photo is the hole I drilled for the wires to go under the seat and too the front, I used some of the existing holes in the front, I added a square hole for the aircon (not shown)
    The final shot shows the wires emerging from under the seat.
    Below is a shot of the rear speaker wires I ran through the gap at the back of the seat and under the dynomat to the base of the rear seat

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  16. andrew

andrew Active Member

IMG_8587.JPG IMG_8587.JPG IMG_8585.JPG IMG_8584.JPG
    After 12 months in the garage the kombi finally got out into the sunlight. It should be an exciting month.
    Today I took the car to get a compressor unit fitted to the motor, I have installed the rest but I was keen to make sure that the alignment was perfect, the guys will also charge the system with the correct gas.

Mid November it goes in for the upholstery - then roadworthy and finally we can get out and enjoy it. Very exciting indeed!

it was hard to stop looking at the concrete space it has left in our garage.

The rear bumper will go back on when I get the towbar back next week with the steel wheels

Miss Rosie, Syncro27 and Happy_Camper like this.
  17. Blunderbus

Blunderbus Active Member

Looking great, that looks like Lennox St ?

18. andrew

andrew Active Member

Close its Gipps Street - the kombi went up Lennox St to get to the aircon mechanics this morning. do you park in Goodwood St, there are 2 kombis that park near Dame Nellie Melba kinder

19. Blunderbus

Blunderbus Active Member

I'm out near Eltham but one of my mates lives in Lennox so it looked familiar.

20. andrew

andrew Active Member

Ok well picked!