1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

76 mysteries

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by deepburn13, Jan 9, 2014.

1. deepburn13

deepburn13 Member

Hi all, thanks for all of your help with both of my buses so far. This site is invaluable! And so now I have more questions for you all haha!

Here are some pics of the random things i have found on the new 76 and cant explain or need more info on. If anyone can shed some light, id be very grateful.

This is hooked up to cables for a 2nd battery. I figure its some sort of isolator??
    [​IMG]

No idea on this one.
    [​IMG]

I assume these are fitted to the rear brakes? dont know where or how tho....?
    [​IMG]

This is under the dash near the headlight switch. There is also what looks like an immobiliser near the handbrake that doesnt work, not sure if this has anything to do with it? Have traced wires and it hasnt really helped. The spagetti with red tape below runs to the ignition/stalk i think, but all seems to work fine.
    [​IMG]

Cheers,
    Scott

2. tomhic

tomhic Active Member

The wiring for a '76 should be as follows:
    ignition switch to starter motor - red/black
    ignition switch to fuse S7, S8, S9 - red
    ignition switch to fuses S11, S12 - black
    ignition switch to fuse S10 - black/yellow

indicator/ headlight flasher switch to LH indicators - black/white
    indicator/ headlight flasher switch to RH indicators - black/green
    indicator/ headlight flasher switch to headlamp dimmer relay - brown/white
    indicator/ headlight flasher switch to indicator flasher relay - black/white/green
    indicator/ headlight flasher switch to earth - brown x 2

wiper switch to wiper motor - black
    wiper switch to wiper motor - black/yellow
    wiper switch to fuse S10 - black/grey
    wiper switch to wiper motor - black/green

Not sure how your '76 compares with this but I've just pulled mine apart to fit the column covers and the wiring matches the wiring diagram. The red and red/black wires from the ignition switch are a much thicker gauge than the other wires as they carry more current. If I was you I would put the wiring back to original. If it makes you feel any better mine was much worse than yours when i started; at least yours has connectors of sorts fitted whereas mine had wires just stripped and hooked over with lots of melted insulation. Hope this helps.

tom

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  3. deepburn13

deepburn13 Member

Awesome info again Tom! Legend!

4. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

The 12v thing near the battery is a relay, and a really big one. Probably used to connect and disconnect the second battery from the alternator or to switch over to the second battery if the first one goes flat. Many different ways to connect them. Small wires are the power to the relay coil to energise the relay.

Adrian

5. deepburn13

deepburn13 Member

Oh ok cool. Thanks Adrian!

6. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

Yeah, standard type battery isolator...the switch under the dash is probably the isolating switch for it. You can automate them by using a heater fan relay that powers up once the alternator begins charging....therefore you get the same operation as a "redarc" isolator but at zero cost.

Gonna guess at the second one and say that it might be an improvised seat belt/child seat belt mount...what is on the underside in the engine bay? You are also missing the rear striker rubber pad..Your rear door will be flopping around all over the place when closed.

Third pic- the "brake brackets" are not VW...no you don't have self adjusting brakes.

The birds nest under the dash tells me that you may have an aftermarket immobiliser fitted as the main ignition loom has been chopped into.

The original model number for the car(what it was when it rolled off the line) will be under the chassis number tag on the left side of the engine bay.

Did you buy the car in Modbury?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  7. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Thread moved here to the relevant "Help" section