1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'76 Panel... Gotta beat the rust!!!

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Bay_Buddha, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Bay_Buddha

Bay_Buddha Member

Ok gang it’s time to get the ball rolling! The little brown shades have me worried... I can’t spend my life saving to start the resto. I’m gonna do it!!!

I have a thousand questions to ask and research but I’m going to hassle your collective wisdom for just a few answers at this stage... I need a confidence boost to calm my nerves!

I think I’m going to get the car sandblasted before I assess the panel beating.

Ideally I would be more satisfied if I did as much of the work as possible however I am going send the shell to a sandblaster and panel beater to tackle the big jobs before I worry about paint.

So ladies and gents, here are my questions!

If I were to strip the larger panels myself before the sandblaster will I be avoiding warping or wasting time? (I have been quoted on average $2000 to have the outside and underneath done completely).

Am I tempting fate if I do strip panels and leave them bare for a week before the sandblaster coats them in primer?

Am I crazy to think I can restore the body before Easter?

I really appreciate your time everyone!
    Phill

P.S here are some pics of the project!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. brookie

brookie Guest

If you can save money you can sand back your self to bare metal and if you have to wait you can hit it with any cheap spray cans for a few days.

3. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

I would strip the sides by hand, most blasters use normal sand, which apparently they are not supposed to use?( I only heard lately that the sand when blasted makes a very deadly dust????)
    Anyway in the wrong hands it makes a mess of thin panels like sides of kombi's the heat the sand produces makes the metal distort.
    I would have the underneath blasted and also around the engine bay.
    Most blasters will spray the clean area in an etch primer, better than leaving it in fresh bare metal, which will start rusting in days.

get the underneath blasted and primered then you can take your time on the sides and you can then primer each area when you have stripped it.

Dave

4. brookie

brookie Guest

Bead blasting is far better than sand blasting and no residue

5. beerdoc

beerdoc Active Member

If you need to go back to bare metal use a strip disc on a grinder

If it was me I would not go all the way down to bare metal if not necesary

Repair the rust and bog bits etch prime then rub the whole panel down to factory undercoat with stripdisc then 320 grit ,hi fill prime 500 then paint it

This all depends on the finish your after Concourse,dailly whatever

BE warned there is a lot of different ways to do this and it does not mean there wrong You have find some one you know is talking your language and go with it

GOOD LUCK

6. Bay_Buddha

Bay_Buddha Member

Awesome... Thanks guys.

Would it be a better plan to have the gutters, window sills and tricky bits like that blasted before I start on the panels with a grinder?

I ve been to a couple of places in Sydney and they either use metal or garnet... I definately think Granet is the way to go. I had a look at a couple of chassis they had and I was impressed. No warping (Except the place that used metal; they did!)

I'm after a good finish... not too glossy just an honest protective coating.

Need to get some more opinions huh!

7. brookie

brookie Guest

Most people who are restoring classic cars, which I include Kombis, don't use sand.
    We have restored a number of cars as well as Kombis and have never had to use sand or bead blasting except on wheels.
    If the Kombi has not had accident damage it is usually not necessary to blast panels or go to bare metal respray.
    If it was an old split that has been in a paddock for 20 years it may be the way to go.

8. Bay_Buddha

Bay_Buddha Member

Fair point thanks Brookie!

I'm mainly concerned about discolouration up under the rain gutters... I want to make sure that I get to all the rust now. I'd rather go all out now to be confident I ve done a good job.

9. beerdoc

beerdoc Active Member

Would it be a better plan to have the gutters, window sills and tricky bits like that blasted before I start on the panels with a grinder?

You can do these with small wire wheel on a drill and save some bucks

Good advice Brookie

10. Bay_Buddha

Bay_Buddha Member

Belated Updates!

Ok I put the resto off until now to get some money and knowledge together. Between summer jobs and sorting out the garage I have finally started over the last couple of weeks.

Here are some before shots of my ’76 panel van. I bought it in 2005 and drove it daily until June this year. She has a strong motor and although the body looks rough it is mostly solid metal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The old gentleman I bought it off said he bought the van after it had been originally used by the Rothman’s Cigarette Company. He had the side windows cut in and had used it since the early 80’s through to 03/04. The van was still registered when I bought it.

11. Bay_Buddha

Bay_Buddha Member

Some more...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

P.s... Thanks to my mate Yug for the pro looking pics!!!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  12. Bay_Buddha

Bay_Buddha Member

Having removed all the exterior parts and most from the inside I have begun to tackle the damage on the van. I am really luck to have the help of my old mans mate, Louis, who is an 81 year old panel beater. He hasn’t been working for about three years but he is still strong, fit and has all the traditional skills.

I hope you can tell from the photos that most of the damage has been on the passenger side front and rear wheel arch. We started work using hammers while we waited for a plumber mate to start his holidays so we could borrow his oxy kit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Schmoburger

Schmoburger Active Member

Great to see some long forgoten panelbeating techniques being put into play here... I'll be following the resto with interest Phil! :cool:

14. Bay_Buddha

Bay_Buddha Member

Got the Oxy kit the other day so we started on the front apron. Had to fix the seam on the bottom corner after we had beaten the panel out to get the seams aligned again. Having done that Louis welded the spots together with the oxy.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

With strength back in the panel Louis picked up the oxy and I was in charge of the dollies. The procedure was to heat up a spot beat it in to the van and then shrink it back out using the dolly on the inside, I was apprehensive at first worrying about the panel warping but in the end i'm really pleased comparing the before and afters.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Bay_Buddha

Bay_Buddha Member

I had expected to find some rust around the sills of the windows that had been cut in but I think I have got to them in time. However when taking off the aerial I found a small pinhole. This was fixed with a patch of metal off an old rear door.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Comes up a bit rouch in the photo but it is a solid weld that is much better than the rust.

16. felixqld66

felixqld66 Member

You guys are doing great work I look forward to the progress. it is great to see skills passed on from one to another recognising what the older generation have to offer. I am guessing Louis is stoked to be part of the restoration.

Cheers Alex

17. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

Hey Phill, the work you are doing looks the goods. Well done and keep up the good work. :)

I have a similar dent in the side of Lola - did Louis the expert say it was going to be difficult to knock out? I have had a couple of people saying it could either be knocked out or I would need a whole new panel fitted.

Kyra

18. Bay_Buddha

Bay_Buddha Member

Thanks for the interest Alex and Kyra!

Yeah Louis is stoked to be able to help me. He mentioned yesterday that he wants to start doing more jobs... He has already had a couple of offers!

Kyra I had a few quotes last year to have the dents knocked out and primed (even booked it in but was told the panel shop had too much work when I went to drop her off) $1500 was the average. I still think thats a fair price for the work but Louis has been going over the whole van making sure all the doors sit properly. I have learnt that there is much more to accident damage than just the obvious ding. We have been working gently on a couple of pillars to get the lefthand door to sit perfect. I think it's touches like this that would have added to the panel shops bill.

That said I have heaps of respect for people who do this work... I'm sick of sanding already!!! I think it's best to keep asking questions and have the experts check it out.

Phill.

19. Bay_Buddha

Bay_Buddha Member

The weather is driving me nuts at the moment!!

We stripped the roof back to bare metal a week ago and without enough clearance in the garage we need to put the undercoat on outside... I’m gonna have to sand the roof again before rust converter and primer on a fine day (hopefully tomorrow!!!).

Haven’t been outside to get pics of the roof but we have finally finished the left hand side of the front apron in the garage and put a bit of primer on, guide coat, sanded and then another coat.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I had a bit of a freak out at first when Louis started piling filler on but I trust his knowledge and watched his method. He put a thick coat on and as the filler started going off he used a “Cheese file” to shave much of it off leaving a thin amount of filler on the panel.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

He sanded it back then applied another coat to build up the shape and lines of the panel very slowly. Due to the amount of damage and the contour and shape around the headlight we ended up with a fair area covered but I’m really happy with the shape of the metal now.

20. Bay_Buddha

Bay_Buddha Member

Almost finished the Left rear wheel arch its in primer but i’m gonna sand it back and get the shape of the edge right at the bottom.

[​IMG]

Also taken out the dash... just need to tidy up the mess and clean and sand metal ready for undercoat.

[​IMG]

Other jobs have been heaps of fun... Cleaning up doors and contact adhesive, sanding from the bulkhead back through the inside. I will have pics of the inside and roof in primer shortly!