76 Sopru 'Old Boy'

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by David H, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Yes an early T3 gearbox .

Clutch is hydraulic too.

Are late bays hydraulic clutches?

As said the shifter system is a side shift in aT3.

2. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Kombi Groovers,
    Here's Old Boy doing what he does so well. Taking you there, waiting patiently & helping prepare a meal & give you a soft bed with a cold fridge at hand:D with plenty of water as it's so dry @ Bretti ATM.
    Old Boy at ease & still working:cool:.
    IMG_0089.jpg2.jpg
    Oh .....& Lauren at ease also:p.
    & the fancy new bench top at work. Thanks again Jethro for the idea. I love it;).
    IMG_0094.jpg2.jpg
    Cheers

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    Syncro27, Mr Beckstar and grantw like this.
  3. David H

Hi Kombi Camper Lovers,

What used to be known as 'the rapids' @ Bretti Reserve on the Barnard River.
    IMG_0489.jpg2.jpg
    In better times. Photo in same direction.
    P1000171.jpg2.jpg
    Makes me a bit sad:(.
    http://waterinfo.nsw.gov.au/drr/hunter.shtml

upload_2018-2-25_17-49-35.png
    Pasted after it started raining today 25.2.18

Apparently 88 years since the Gloucester River stopped flowing @ Gloucester. Looking at the chart that was yesterday:(:oops::mad:.

Check on that chart any river you may be familiar with on the NSW east coast. Manning, Myall, Barnard, Hunter, Karuah, Barrington etc etc
    I suppose I'll at least have photos to show my grand kids how it was 'back in the old days':(.

Not Cheers

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    Syncro27 likes this.
  4. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Looks like you had a nice weekend David. I am planning on a weekend away this coming weekend - probably start raining Friday ;)

Syncro27 and David H like this.
  5. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Geez.................I was only up there a couple of months ago and an sure the water was flowing

That is the weir crossing yes?

6. David H

It's the causeway at the bottom of the entry road to Bretti Barry. Been going there 30 years & never seen it like this & whilst I hope you have a good weekend Melissa some rain up there would be good:).
    Cheers

melissa likes this.
  7. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Ours is a late 79 Bay and NO hydraulic clutch. Sounds like an implant.

8. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Al,

No Bays had hydraulic clutches.

Only the mighty T3 developed that in the air cooled and then the later watercooled.

Side shift is also a T3 gearbox signal :D

Otherwise they look very similar.

9. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

The 411 had hyd clutch in '68 :)
    Not a kombi, but still air cooled....
    Reverse switch looks different to T2 also, must be quite a few differences inside?

10. David H

Can we finish the gearbox discussion with "I don't care where it fits!:oops:" It's just spare:p.
    What about the holiday photos folks to stay on current topic?;) Post 42 & 43.
    Cheers

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    Mr Beckstar and Syncro27 like this.
  11. David H

So today was replacing that 'new' fuel gauge. It was okay for a few weeks but just got slower 'getting out of bed' until it decided it wanted to 'lay in at rest' all the time. So moved onto the last of 4 gauges. Checked for reaction before install. It's from a '69 ? so needed some mods. Decided to not bastardise the 'face' to see the full gauge positions. Can't see full....can't see empty. Hopeful it will indicate tank contents between those not seen positions. :rolleyes:. I'll post some photos tomorrow so Wayne can tell me year model;).
    Cheers

Mr Beckstar and MAP77 like this.
  12. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

No trip meter? o_O

The most reliable fuel gauge. Press to zero when filling to full. Know the km’s to empty.......

Quick glance at how many k’ms since full.......simples! ;)

Or even note pad and pen or pencil, to jot down the mileage the last time you filled the tank......

oldman likes this.
  13. David H

Yeah..been doing that for 15 years. Would be nice to have the luxury of "no pad or memory".:p
    Cheers

14. Grantus

If the Bay fuel gauge, is anywhere close to the accuracy of a T3 one.........it’s about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike. ;)

15. David H

Just want one that works;). I'm determined but losing hope with my last gauge. S##t how hard can it be. This is 8 gauges in 25 yrs & still no outcome/result. Bloody german engineering (that be an oxymoron!!) Said it before. Just when you think these VW engineers were perfect they prove you were wrong:oops:.
    Starting to think like it's the earth side after the gauge. All the knowledge on this forum indicates random function on earth side thus random performance. @Mordred help/comment please.
    Cheers

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  16. Grantus

If the Kombi goes......it’s got fuel. :)

If it splutters and stops, the tank’s maybe empty....and you have to ask yourself, “When did I last fill up?” (Refer to memory , or last jotted down note)

Stop looking at the fuel gauge, look out the windows, and please just focus on the task of actually driving! ;)

Just enjoy the ride......:p

David H likes this.
  17. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Sender unit/vibrator/gauge......all work together and must be adjusted accordingly. There’s more to indicating correct fuel levels than just the fuel gauges.
    Unlikely that you’d have 8 faulty gauges.....replace/adjust the other two elements and see how you go......
    Cheers,
    Mark

David H and Mr Beckstar like this.
  18. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

@David H ,oldman might be on to something as I still have the same gauge after 23 years,there must be other areas like oldman mentioned for you to be looking at.
    Earlier bay gauges /sender are as accurate as a empty beer glass,you empty you stop. Filler up and away you go.

19. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

Fuel gauge in Harry works great. Yes, there's more than just the gauge on the dash to get working. In fact, the sender in the tank is more often the culprit in older vehicles than the gauge. The old senders just wore out from going up and down, up and down, up and down, etc, etc.

David H and melissa like this.
  20. David H

Thanks Mark. I'm sure you could feel my frustration:(. Done sender (new & it changed nothing ) & gauge lots. What is the vibrator & where does it sit in the system?
    Cheers