76 Sopru resto

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by David H, Sep 18, 2016.

1. David H

David H Well-Known Member

P1090309.jpg2.jpg
    Gotta love your kids.:mad:
    This is what I started with! My daughter was given this bus for her 18th. She had wanted it since she was very young. This was how she treated him & happened after 5 yrs.
    Took 6 months to get this damage repaired .
    Kombi patience!
    David H

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    Kombisrock89, TRNS4MR and Syncro27 like this.
  2. David H

Seats 3.jpg1.jpg Seats frames by mine & a donor. Rust proofed & resprayed. Horse hair bases from Heritage VW UK, upholstery by Cardiff Upholstery & chrome by Hamilton Chrome. In Newcastle. Personal opinion. You can buy new seats for $200 each. Then get panel beater to modify rails for $200 to make them fit. Then get the engineer to approve them $200. So now you're sitting on 'not a kombi seat' for $800. These cost $1,200 (including paint & rustproof) and I didn't have to factor in stuffing around with p/b's or engineers.!! & I'm sitting on original seats!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    Mr Beckstar, Syncro27 and tomhic like this.
  3. David H

Rhr before resto
    & note the tailgate sticker "Classic...not plastic"
    RHR old.jpg Rhr after resto
    RHR new.jpg Youngest just taught me how to change file size to be compatible with site & thus a flurry of posts.
    2 Pack paint not yet buffed. Straight out of paint.
    David H

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    Syncro27 and QldBlue like this.
  4. David H

Back of seat area & tunnel paint next. Dashboard paint in Blue. Ashtray in blue with gear pattern sticker from USA as well as a 72 metal ashtray (also USA) chromed as a spare. Has retro stamping. Pop top paint, gas bottle lid, bumper bars.......all the 'white' after dash & tunnel. Small addiction to spend kids inheritance & internet purchasing! 15 yr old photo. Before canvas was replaced in dark grey. Not original 'Flipper Blue'. Sent it for a repaint 12 years ago & it came back darker. Painter reports he didn't like original colour!!. Took 3 weeks before I agreed it's better!? Photo is original Flipper.
    DCP03017.JPG
    Dash done 4.10.16. I love it! Not flipper blue ....just a bit darker.
    Dash LHS.JPG
    Cheers,

David H

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    combiclaire and Syncro27 like this.
  5. Pomboy64

Pomboy64 Active Member

Looks superb David. You must be pleased with it. Your cupboards look in good condition mine were all damaged beyond repair.

David H likes this.
  6. David H

Hey Pomboy64,
    Thanks for the look. I'll post a photo of original LHS seat mount tomorrow after I have a congugal visit!
    Cheers,
    David H

7. David H

Cupboards,
    Just to show an Oct 76 Sopru kit. They varied so much from this point due to the way Australian Standards changed so quickly. Next version had below window rear cupboard. 77 had fridge to drivers side & lost tall front cupboard. 77 had a pivot cupboard near the sliding door. (Yeah.. whole unit could go outside!!) Tables in photo show outside table able to sit on pocketed support. Inner table has split fold & access door for support or edge of stove fold down for full table for support. Can be just for the two of you with half table folded down (supported by the under sink door folded out) or for a few more supported by the stove cabinet front fold down panel (which negates the need for the door support) & gives a full table.
    Rear cupboard 76 Kombi Sopru (1).JPG
    There was also a 'dicky seat' to attend the table. It was known thru my kids & self as the "suicide seat". That seat between the drivers & passengers (between stove /fridge cabinet & the tall cabinet....just a loose seat that flicked into place & could also accompany you outside) that had NO SEATBELT. But may have carried that extra child home from school occasionally!!
    Fridge cupboard 76 Kombi Sopru .JPG
    Cheers,
    David H

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  8. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi David, looking good mate !
    I also have a Sopru - top end fitout with the extra electric hot plate, all in good original condition. I love it !
    If you have any timber panels that are in good condition, I'd be interested in them.
    I would like to re make the bottle rack- below the flip down table at the sliding door -
    as it's a little worse for wear....
    Let me know if you have any surplus to your needs.
    Cheers,
    Mark

9. Pomboy64

Pomboy64 Active Member

Most of mine were completely stuffed but I do still have the tall cabinet which was behind the driver and the sink top.

10. David H

Hi Mark,
    Not a thing surplus bar seat backs. Sorry. Busy renovating my interior to catch up with the exterior. Probably going to be a bit of stainless steel to reinvigorate the outside table & top of stove cupboard. I'm in the sheet metal trades so I'll see how I go!? I'll post when it's done.
    Cheers,
    David H

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  11. David H

P1100096.JPG Hi,
    This bar came from a Qld kombi & is made by Allbars.com.au. This is the MK1 version. He has a sleeker sweeper one that I wish for but am not going to Qld just to get it. Check out his (Iqbahl's) web site if you want one. Thanks MAP77 for the bar.
    Cheers,
    David H

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    Syncro27 likes this.
  12. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Looking good David ;)

13. David H

Really small thing for the car but this is a 'stipple' surface cracked plastic ashtray to match the dash. Installed. Took 6 hours of my weekend & was soo.. worth it. Gear change sticker from the usa $10 for 2. Dash back together.Old boy says 'first time I've had a glove box lid in 40 years'! Ashtray posted.jpg file size.jpg
    Thanks to all whom came before me for the inspiration to bring the outside colour inside. I'm stoked. Just have to tidy those lower panels now.
    Ashtry .jpg Adjusted.jpg
    :) Oh..& new blinker stalk installed with new copper horn contact! Leather clad steering wheel (wrapped in gladwrap) & new horn ring (the brass ring) swapped off a T25 horn ring. Took a pot shot that they'd be the same & got lucky so now both horn connectors are new & good for another 20yrs. Beep..... Beep! I'm thinking some of that Ovesco paint (blue) on the horn button will help 'flow' of colour. It did. P1100430.jpg2.jpg
    Might do spokes of steering wheel next after finding a crack in one arm at the 'boss' today. More blue!
    Here's those chromed 72 ashtrays with gold zincanneal.
    Cheers,
    David H

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    Pomboy64 likes this.
  14. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Nice work David! :)

This is the closest Kombi I have seen to ours, its practically identical in and out and mechanically, apart from colour!
    Sopru fitout is the same too.

Where did you get the gear sticker from? I need one too..

Love the body coloured dash, would do the same, but think I will try and keep it as stock as possible in case we ever sell. Good on you for doing something different.

Did you use any special paint under the footwells before you sprayed colour coat? (To give better wear)

Watching with interest.....:D

15. David H

Hi Dan,
    For the gear pattern search google "vw kombi gear pattern". I got 2 for $10 Aus.
    Try this.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VW-BEET...TRAY-STICKER-T1-T2-Type-1-2-Bus-/182261531718

Tread deals with footwell wear but it is 2 pack enamel. Much more durable than the original acrylic.

Once I could not get a sopru roo bar (due daughter running it into a telepole ....first accident in 40 yrs) it opened the 'floodgates' of what I'd do better/different. I'm getting old & have to spend my money on something after raising my girls by myself & the Kombi. $20k later!!! Oldest girl (23yrs) desperate to get it back to relive her child hood memories. Dad reluctant after the pole incident!

Seems all Sopru fuel injected had the same cupboard layout (given the short run). Cupboard layout didn't change until the start of '77.

Look how I renovated the worn stove top & side table. Just finished today. Pity I couldn't keep the edge curves but straight sheet metal is not that forgiving in turning! Bit of 316 stainless, some 'nouse' & lots of time polishing! & could use some more over time. I'm still eating the elephant!

6 months for damage repair last year. All this year for reno. Like I said keep yours on the road & do what's do able when you can.

Yeah ....that's me with the shorts & short legs in the reflection with a toolbox!

Cheers,
    David H

P1100337.jpg2.jpg P1100412.jpg2.jpg Side table & stove top.jpg2.jpg

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  16. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Thanks David.

Your cupboards look similar condition to mine. I think long term I am going to use them as templates and remake the whole lot, but out of 12mm marine ply with laminated faces as per original. (Should be lighter too) Mine have swelled in some corners/edges due to moisture over the years which can't be fixed. Makes opening some cupboards hard due to swelling increasing thickness.

Great story, and good on you Dad :)

PS: We replaced our OEM fridge, runs beautifully and I feel a bit safer camping without gas running all night, in my build thread if you need info.

17. David H

Hi Dan,
    A guy I met in Newcastle stripped his cupboard kit, took it to Mr Plywood & got the whole lot back cut to size in 12mm ply. Sounds like the way to go. Quick coat of clear & the 'brown' is gone for blonde! It looked great. I'll get to new cupboards when I recover from the 'all outside half inside reno'.
    Good luck with your reno.;)
    Cheers,
    David H

18. David H

Hi Elsie,
    Camper sticker on.
    P1100422.jpg2.jpg
    Thanks.
    David H

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    Syncro27 likes this.
  19. Looking good David, glad to have helped to steer you in the right direction. Craig

David H likes this.
  20. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Sensational job and great colour.

Another quality resto :D

Pomboy64 and David H like this.