1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

76 Sopru resto

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by David H, Sep 18, 2016.

1. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Kombi Lovers,
    After a year of waiting I can post this. Going back together. Poptop painted. All interior blue finished & all exterior white finished. I'm off to the beaters tomorrow to put the front lower dash panels & seats in (& mats) . Will post after my successful friday! Look for tomorrows flurry of posts!
    P1100441 (1024x768).jpg2.jpg
    P1100444.jpg2.jpg Cheers

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  2. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Exciting! :) Looks awesome, love that blue..

David H likes this.
  3. David H

Just a teaser!
    I've been like an excited schoolboy on his first date since yesterday (after I saw the paint finished) & this is what happened today. Mats under seats & front floor & tunnel, tinware (air stuff for heat & where wife puts foot ..grrr) back in & seats. The brown is not rust...just 40 yr old glue! Next seat belts & gas box.
    Oh...note plates for Identification & Conversion back on. Look behind the seats! Seats in .jpg2.jpg
    Cheers,
    A VERY Happy,
    David H

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    Pomboy64, OSF and Grantus like this.
  4. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Every reason to be that excited David! :)

The last person to get that excited about this bus, was the person who picked up the bus new from the dealer....;)

Or was that you as well? :rolleyes:

5. David H

No not me Grantus. I just knew the guy whom bought it off the guy who had that smile leaving the showroom!
    I'm going to be the guy who picks it up new from the panel shop & be more excited as it's 40 yrs old & like new but better?
    Cheers,
    David H

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  6. Grantus

Is there any "New Car Smell" spray you can buy, to enhance the experience? :rolleyes:

But I doubt you need it..... (isn't that smell just all the new materials and adhesives emitting unhealthy "off gassing"? :eek:)

Enjoy! :)

7. David H

Old panel shop dust almost does the same!!
    & a million memories for myself & my girls.
    & more into the future, beyond my life, for others.
    Cheers,

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  8. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Re your under seat mats and wallkthu area David

Mine is the same under the seats re brown glue but no rust. I was going to source new rubber mats that slide in to the metal returns. In the walkthru I will reinstall the rubber floor mat.
    I see however that there is an option to install mats on the side of the walkthru area too, located on the sides. Are you fitting these , or leaving it open, body colour?

9. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Have you got an under dash tray David? It might stop "the foot rest" ;) but it also is very convenient and finishes off around the handbrake.

Pomboy64 and DanSA like this.
  10. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Its starting to really take shape.Looks nice David H.Before you know it you will be back on the road again.They talk about that smell ,I just love that smell you can't get enough of it.:):D
    Not all models have the lip on the side of the walk thru to fit that rubber mat . My father 72 kombi (23)doesn't have it but my 72 microbus does (22) Just check it before buying your mats.

Pomboy64 likes this.
  11. David H

Hi Dan,
    Leaving it open. Wouldn't want to hide that lovely blue!
    Cheers

Pomboy64 likes this.
  12. David H

Hi Melissa,
    No tray but the bride has been warned!
    Cheers

13. andrew

andrew Active Member

Dave really looking great - will be fantastic get out and enjoy it

14. David H

Hi Kombi Lovers,
    Gas box, mirrors, seatbelts, new visors. Starting to think I will be able to drive it when the glass goes back in next week.:) Last two is to tease Dan SA. Chromed ashtray! Hard to get a good photo with all that dash colour reflection.;) Yeah, I got the estucheon around the key entry to the gas box chromed. Small detail!
    P1100466.jpg2.jpg
    P1100464.jpg2.jpg
    P1100472.jpg2.jpg P1100454.jpg2.jpg
    Cheers,

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    Pomboy64 likes this.
  15. Pomboy64

Pomboy64 Active Member

16. David H

Hi Kombi Lovers,
    The old boy not only started today but after his dad realised there was something wrong (after 4 goes at this) I remembered how these F/I's work after 6 yrs of not having to! (See daughter having bus for last 5 years.) They have 2 vacuum/ intake pick up pipes. One on the left front, one on the air intake manifold. Usually 'blow' the one off left front once every 5 years when the car 'farts'. Never blown the one off intake. Sure enough my 'eye' finally sees the very obvious! One on intake off! Refit. Goes & idles first go after being pushed around panel shop all year. It feels like Christmas!:D. & May you all have a very MERRY CHRISTMAS.
    Going to drive this bus without windows (might clear some p/b dust out) to the car wash (100 mts) to find the steering box (bit buried in old oil) so that Roo bar can go on (one side fits under steering box).
    Always good if you can walk out of hospital! (or drive out of p/b's). Means you're on the road to recovery!:)
    The best day!:)
    Cheers,

melissa likes this.
  17. Pomboy64

Pomboy64 Active Member

Enjoy the drive to the car wash David.

David H likes this.
  18. Grantus

I got wet enough in the cabin, at the auto car wash today, with glass in, but 28 year old rubbers not sealing like they did when new. ;)

I can only imagine how much wetter I would be without the glass! :eek:

Good luck with that one David! :cool:

19. David H

Hi Grantus,
    Just did the wand thing underneath. Old man on bended knees with rocks perforating knees to get far enough under to get to steering box complete with lay down wet shoulder. At least I was out of the vehicle to get the wet shoulder! Sounds like you got that in the car! Why don't those car washes have hoists for me to do the under side easily?
    & as Cbus said on DanSA I was still blowing panel beaters dust out of my nose 6 hours after a shower.:eek:
    Cheers,

20. Grantus

I did actually guess you were not using the Auto Drive Through bit........ ;)

But THAT could have been a photo worthy exercise without any glass ! :D

One of the main reasons I use it, is it does have an excellent underbody high pressure wash as you enter. The gear change is so smooth and like new after the wash! :)