1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

76 Sopru resto

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by David H, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Pomboy64

Pomboy64 Active Member

I just installed a new glove box. First go it didn't fit. I peeled off the sellers sticker to find a made in Taiwan one underneath, not really a surprise as it was plastic. I tried a few times but no joy then I noticed a mould line. I cut it down along this line and it fitted like a glove.......box. lol. So I reckon some of the parts are almost right and they're leaving us to finish them off!

Wayne murray and David H like this.
  2. David H

David H Well-Known Member

I fibreglassed mine 25 years ago (on the outside) so it looks original from the inside.
    Glad you could get yours to fit.
    Still can't get my RHR window to fit!
    I've 'glassed' so much of my bus over the years to prolong its life. Front door panels especially!
    This reno allowed me to 'start again' but I'm not parting with my fibreglass glovebox!:)
    Cheers,
    David H

3. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Can you find some secondhand glass David from a 76 to fit maybe?

4. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

We are the test dummies.:eek: Testing to see if it fits,Dumb enough to buy it to see if it will fit:confused: Glad you worked out a simple solution to a common problem.

5. David H

Hi Dan,
    Going to try some local guys, for glass, who've got a yard full of Kombis. 2 chances local. Other via Gumtree is in WA. Chances of that getting to NSW in one piece is nil!
    Cheers

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  6. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Hoping the local option comes thru for you - so frustrating!

7. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Hi David H; Are you looking for middle one piece glass or rear one piece glass? I did get a new Rh rear I can find out where I got mine from. Or I could check see what second hand I have if any.To long ago to remember what I have
    One thing I do remember was that window ,right rear was one of the hardest to get in.

8. David H

Hi Wayne,
    Thanks & it's the one on the drivers side rear with the curve on the LH upper edge (viewed from outside). Need full glass not 3/4.
    Thanks for looking.:)
    I've got one from BS & one from JK. Neither fit!!:mad::mad:. That curve is wrong.
    Cheers,
    David H

9. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

That sucks!

Is your body not original? I only ask, coz usually if one doesn't fit from one supplier, one from another usually will, (unless both suppliers are sourcing products from the same fabricator.) :(

10. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

What configuration on the nearside rear?
    Should be same profile if fixed( which it should be)

11. David H

Hi Kombi Lovers,
    I just posted new photos to the start of this thread. Where this reno started & that was old boys first injury & it's a long way from the RHR window so I know it's the right shape. Original Sopru. No prior damage. Total provenance known.
    See also my post re glass guy not "giving it a red hot go'.
    Like all Kombi owners I'll just keep plodding until the answer is done & progress achieved. Yes..I was telling my partner tonight it's more than frustrating. I almost want to just leave it at the beaters & walk away!:mad::mad::mad:
    I can get 'fixated' on stuff!:rolleyes:
    On one positive note P/B got rego inspection done today for the 2nd time! Been there that long!o_O
    So close seems to make it more frustrating!:(:(
    Thanks for your support folks.
    Cheers,
    David H

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  12. Grantus

Just had a good look at the original pics.....and have to ask, did that alloy bar do more panel damage upon impact, than would have occurred without it? o_O

13. David H

Hi Grantus,
    That's an original metal 2'' pipe bar with additional support from the front bumper position (my mod). Original was from under the bumper.
    I hope the new bar has more resistance as those new front panels are not like the old.
    As you know I have experience in crashing these buses into telepoles & so does my oldest & so we have a shared experience in telepoles & flipper blue Kombis!
    Like Cbus (I think) says "It's all just a progressive crumple" & spreading the load. It seems to have worked well & my daughter was fine other than being throttled by dad!;)
    Cheers,
    David H

14. Grantus

I'm a fan of more protection outfront in these vehicles, and glad to read your daughter was fine, and it worked as hoped. :)

Detractors have argued about such crash protection additions in urban areas............. and I saw a sticker I agreed with, about banning these additions:

"Don't ban Bullbars, ............. Ban stupid pedestrians."

:D

15. David H

Hey Grantus,
    That's the design of modern vehicles. To roll the pedestrian over the hood & not cause a big change of inertia to their body (that hurts them..... it's not the fall that hurts... it's the sudden stop!) & progressively decrease inertia.
    If they allow a vertical surface at the front of the vehicle (& we're silly enough to drive them) pedestrians know what to expect. Most of modern cars do the 'roll over' . It's just that they let a % of cars on the road that don't!;)
    None of that says s**t about roo bars!
    I just don't know how we're going to be able to have delivery vans/4wd's & dumb pedestrians being safe in the same environment!:p
    Give me a roo bar to be sure!:rolleyes: Darwin Rules.
    Cheers,
    David H

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    Grantus likes this.
  16. David H

Hi Folks,
    Re glass.... both new ones that I have are the same in the upper LHR (outside view) curve & are plus 4mm on the 3/4 original I have. Doesn't sound like much given the thickness of window rubber to accommodate variance.
    When 'glass guy' goes to put in he starts with "It's too big both vert & horiz" & I think this leads him to be defeated before he starts. A bit odd really as he's a Mt Druitt boy (west suburbs of Sydney....bit of a tough neighbourhood) & window refitment requires that 'level of toughness' (aggro). Bought him 2 so he can break one & still win. Problem is p/b can't get him back until I have an original glass.:(
    Bit of a 'Mexican standoff' atm. He don't wanna come back unless he gets a win, p/b wants it done & to be able to use him again & not waste my money on having him back to fail & be 'peed off' & not come back to do future glass for him. Otherwise....
    Could be Bus Stop 2017 with a ply window!:D It's the back of a full Sopru cupboard. So who g's.a.f? May need to mount the curtain on the outside to hide ply window!;)
    Registered today so this weeks goal achieved.
    Oh ....& I bought new plates "76.VWI" turns up in 3 weeks. The I is for injection. Black on white slimline.
    Suggestions about where they go on that shiny roo bar most welcome.
    Cheers,
    David H

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  17. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

There are variations in cut size and thickness.
    This combined with vw brasil or west coast metric rubbers are a bitch to impossible to seat.
    A rubber from wolfsberg melbourne will accomodate the larger glass better of find an original vw

18. David H

Thanks Cbus. Makes sense. If glass too big ..........make rubber smaller. & I think that's a large part of the problem. ( oh & getting your 'dander up' & being tough to fit o/s rubber or window).

19. Grantus

I understand the logic of design for pedestrian friendly vehicles as you run into them, by having a smooth sloped bonnet to scoop them up, without any raised emblem to spear them..........

But an impact of a pedestrian, or large animal on the front of a Kombi without a bullbar, or with one that has a bullbar, is going to have a very similar result and outcome for the pedestrian....:(

Having a personal current score of VW 7 - Roos zero on the Kanga Banga over the past 28 years, (points are awarded for getting home unaided), it would be a very different score, (and much more expensive), had I not had a bullbar. o_O

Sadly, the Darwin theory only works, IF they have not reproduced at the time of impact. ;)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  20. David H

Hi Grantus,
    If they had reproduced it'd just make more customers for Darwins theory & your bull bar! Giving you 8-0:rolleyes:! & more work to do!:) On topic ..it seems kangaroos are far more 'giving' than telepoles!
    Cheers