1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

76 Sopru resto

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by David H, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Hi David H: I brought my glass for my RHR from the Bus stop. Rubber used don't really remember but it would be one of the two Wolfsburg west or west coast metric. But I still remember it being a Bitch to get in regardless.
    My history is good at breaking glass. :eek::oops: I've broken enough glass to have bad luck for the rest of my life time.
    I haven't yet looked for you on RHR its under house somewhere,if got one.

About Grantus and roo bar ,the extra cost in insurance would be extortionate if he hadn't had a roo bar on.

2. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Thanks Cbus,
    Rubber ordered today from Wolfsberg.
    Fingers crossed!
    Cheers

3. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Pedestrians are slightly more predictable in which way they will stagger or stumble, and easier to avoid, as opposed to roos, who look one way, then jump the other way with zero notice! :eek:

Not needed the bullbar for pedestrian protection to date. ;) (Way too much paperwork with an impact like that! :()

4. David H

Rubber turned up from Wolfsberg day after ordering. Great service. Rushed over to see if it was different than what I had & saw that the panelbeater had got the glass in on Christmas Eve & not told me.:rolleyes: Oh well, it's done (reckons he's never seen glass flex that much & not break) & bus comes back next week.
    Thanks to all for your support & advice.:)
    Cheers

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    DanSA likes this.
  5. Wayne murray

Since you mention that the glass flexed so much. I remember the same thing with mine . Good to hear that it's in .:D:cool:

6. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Wohoo!!
    Can't believe he forgot to mention it???

David H likes this.
  7. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Pull it out n see if the wolfsberg rubber is any better ;) :)

Yep.
    Toughened glass can certainly bend.
    Dont try same with laminated tho unless you needed a new glass.

David H likes this.
  8. David H

Hey Cbus,

So I now have a spare rubber & full RHR glass. Must be calling me to another project.o_O

You've seen my comments & others about how 'tough' you have to be to get this piece of glass in. I sorta think it only happened when they had a spare!:rolleyes: Happy to provide that with an extra piece of glass so they could have 'the grunt' knowing they had a spare. Cheap to see the end of panel shop!:)

Re laminated........they managed to reuse that glass that you see in the first thread photos. Didn't think that was possible & was hoping with the new front I'd get new glass as it had a chip I'd glued. Chip's still there! Out & back in with lami glass with a chip. That's talent.:D

Cleared a spot in my carport for Kombi landing next week. Council junk day on last Monday so got rid of oldest daughters wardrobes we were minding? When do your kids finally leave? ( I know... when they have kids!)

I'm trying to not get too excited for fear something will 'stymie' it.:confused:

Get the old boy home & in his spot & then put the rest of the new soft interior in, new lino, curtains in, second battery then off for service. Doesn't need much as I've kept up over the years & daughters mileage small.

It'll be the second time I've driven him in 6 years.

Looking forward to some Kombi cruising & a bit of 'flash'. Saw him today outside for the first time in 6 months after buff & whilst hot it was a sunny day. Needed sunnies for the reflection.:D

He was sweating cavity wax! Cooking nicely.

Small buff left.

Hard to believe this journey is nearing completion soon.

My youngest daughters birthday today. 20yrs. Shit where did that go!

Cheers & thanks to all,
    David H

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    Grantus likes this.
  9. Grantus

You sound like an over expectant new father, waiting for the baby to come home! :p

And you are obviously well over the arrival delays, that didn't allow you to spend the Xmas break, doing your enjoyable final touches.

And "this journey is nearing completion soon", only relates to being roadworthy, registered, and ready to legally roll..............

No Kombi is ever finished, (there is always improvements, upgrades & maintainence along the way)........ but :

Enjoy the ride! :)

10. David H

Hi Grantus,
    I am that overly expectant father for the reason of the kombi but also my steppie is 1/2 way on our first grandchild!:D

You're right... Kombi's....they're always just a work in progress. next thing to do.:rolleyes:

Always maintained rego. Bit of a must on a Sopru with gas bottle inside! They're never going to allow that again!

What I've listed is just what I want to be done before Bus Stop.

Started this tread with......"Kombi patience" & still doing it but looking forward to a drive in a flashy bus!:)

Thanks for your chats & support & cheek !
    Cheers,
    David H

Grantus likes this.
  11. Grantus

All good buddy..... and hopefully not too much "cheek' on my inputs to date. :rolleyes:

:)

David H likes this.
  12. David H

No ! Sweet. Very enjoyable!:)

13. Wayne murray

Good to hear that it's at home.Been long time between driving her.The sweat and frustration is nearly over .Now you need to dress up the inside ,change its nappy(oil) and you are away. Don't forget to tuck it in at night:p Not to cheeky was it. All the best David H
    Regards Wayne

David H likes this.
  14. David H

Hi Wayne,
    No sweat & frustration just money!:) Sweat & frustration coming to get interior done.
    Never cheeky. You're like the others...just supportive.;)
    A big thanks.:D
    David H

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    Wayne murray likes this.
  15. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Been a while without pics David...
    pls rectify.

16. David H

You'll get some when I pick him up later this week!:D

Kick Kombi likes this.
  17. David H

The "over expectant new father" is gonna give birth tomorrow.:D or it'll be a bloody caesarean
    & be forcibly removed from the p/beaters;). The p/b has been so good so the previous comment was joking!
    Got a long weekend (asked the boss for Friday off & he said " You're dreaming" so I sacked myself to get the day off & will reemploy myself on Monday!:rolleyes:) to start the next phase. Look out for photos DanSA.
    Cheers

18. David H

Tripped over this photo tonight in my 'mood of expectation & review'. Seems you can also get a 'camera head' whilst renovating a Kombi!:D
    Cheers,
    David H Chromed Ashtray Head.jpg sml.jpg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    Jethro and DanSA like this.
  19. David H

Hi Kombi Lovers ,
    Bit of a 'watershed' tonight. Something I've worked toward for a year & a half.
    Old Boy escaped panel shop today. Caesarean not needed!:D
    He's parked ready for the next part of reno. The curtains, interior soft panels etc.
    Long weekend (see boss argument) & I'll keep you posted.
    No emoticom for 'tears of happiness' but truly a shed night!:):D:D:):):D
    Just gunna sit out there & enjoy a year of organising & planning for this day!
    Look at this! Home.jpg2.jpg
    Cheers,
    David H

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    Tash, OSF, kalamunda and 3 others like this.
  20. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Awesome!
    Looks like all the 76's are coming home :)

Looks great David and bet you're happy to have him home.
    Never noticed u have black wipers before.

When's the next trip planned???

David H likes this.