1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

77 bay steering and wander... Running out of options.....

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Chidori, Aug 28, 2012.

1. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

In regard to steering knuckle/ stub axle you need to remove the brake, hub and backing plate, clamp a straight edge to the backing plate surface and measure the distance between it and the inner edge of tie rod tapered hole from the upper tapered hole edge(the larger end of tapered hole for tie rod end). The dimension should be 111mm. You can also measure the straightness of the stub by using engineers square and vernier, measure at the outer bearing surface and calculate the difference between inner and outer vs bearing mounting diameters. Easy peasy.

Chidori likes this.
  2. Chidori

Chidori Active Member

Thanks for clarifying how to check the arms, 1500.

I'm happy with the steering now - considering I've been driving it for years in it's worst possible form.
    It started out as 10% of what it should be when I got it - and now I have it somewhere around 90%.

Alignment is great - best it's ever been. New tyres must have accentuated the bearing problem for some reason. Seems fine now that the bearings are tighter.

Literally all I will be doing from here is installing the new bearings and that's it. If that improves it closer to 100% then great. I'm reasonably sure this will get me most of the way there. If it doesn't fix it further - no problem - I'm done with it. Too much time, money and headspace have been spent on this van over the years and it's time to move on to something else.

Rosscoe, David H and Barry like this.
  3. Rosscoe

Rosscoe Member

I have been feeling the same Chidori, about ours lately, too much time and money, we are going to start using it for some small trips to see how it goes, if it doesnt perform the way we need then it will be sold or garaged, one or the other, patience has just about worn out, as has my bank account.

Chidori likes this.
  4. 1500king

Yeah, LT tyres suck... i don't know why people use them. I go for silicone compound quality tyres. Many are also driving around on broken front end leaf springs without even knowing it too.. last bus I pulled down had 3/9 broken on the upper beam and 7/9 on the lower, replacing ball joints never always easy... mostly campers too.

syncro and Chidori like this.
  5. 1500king

Dont buy the chinese bearings.. they wont last long.

6. 1500king

Yep, bad repairers do that to folks.

7. Chidori

Chidori Active Member

Yeh - it's not the best feeling when you're "over it"... especially when you're chasing problems by just throwing parts at it like I did.
    On the plus side - if I decide to sell - almost every possible steering component has been replaced. Surely that will add to the value - despite the rough looking body.

8. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Given the age...
    A rough looking body is expected :D

1500king and Chidori like this.
  9. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

maybe you could go back to one of your initial posts and remember that feeling
    'I love it now and wouldn't be without it.'
    'This will be one car that will never be sold.'

:);):D

Wayne murray, David H and TeeBee like this.
  10. Chidori

Chidori Active Member

Lol, I often walk past my kombi in the street and get disappointed that it hasn't been stolen. ;)

11. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Don't repair the body ;)

Chidori likes this.
  12. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

The wheel alignment guy you have confidence in should be able to do the check on the turn tables on his machine
    They have degree increments on them

Chidori likes this.