1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

77 Deluxe Slow Rebirth

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Deluxe, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

So, the van's arrived and now the work begins.

Don't expect any quick results with this one - I'm a complete resto novice and plan to do as much as I can myself under the watchful eye of a master.

The end goal of this resto is to get the van as close to the original state it was in when it left the factory - I reckon it's going to take a year of hard sweat, blood and probably tears, BUT hopefully plenty of enjoyment and fun on the way.

Any good resto thread starts with some 'before' pictures so here goes a few:

The good side:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bad side :eek:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  2. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

Nice patina ?!? Actually none of its too bad - the gutters look like they are right through in the pics but they're not

[​IMG]

Inside
    [​IMG]

Aircon (not factory so not sure it will go back in)

[​IMG]

3. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

Didn't want to waste too much elbow grease as the paints all coming off but wanted to dream what it's gonna look like one day

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Worst rust around the front window

[​IMG]

4. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

Spending the next few weekends stripping it to a shell and taking lots of pictures/labelling bits up so that it's easier to put back together...

The plan then is to send it for blasting all over on a rotisserie. I know opinions are mixed on blasting but I've found a mob that only do vehicles (no industrial) and assure me that they have done plenty of Kombi's before. Don't try and convince me otherwise because my mind is made up :)

Then it's welding, panel work, prep, paint, finding NOS bits where needed to put back on - lots of these I've found already.
    Sounds easy doesn't it!!!

5. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

It's finally happening Shurms.

I'm really excited for you. You're going to have a ball doing the resto yourself. I think you'll find it a lot more satisfying knowing that it's your hard work going into the end result.

Looking forward to following all the struggles and triumphs.

Good luck

6. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

looks like youve got plenty to have fun with!!

Excuse my ignorance but what are "NOS bits" ?

Ive seen the term around but have NO idea?

Also hows the Aircon work?

Is it hooked up to a compressor run of the mtor or is a stand alone system?

Also what makes a delux bus a delux - how can you tell?
    Bernie

7. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

Thanks Aspro....let's see if me and the missus are still sane in 6 months!

Bernie - NOS stands for New Old Stock - it's a fancy way of describing old original parts that have never been used

8. slowburner

slowburner New Member

From this day forward looks like you'll be busy. sounds like a great project though. Love the colours btw are you keeping them?

9. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

Yeah, the colours stay as they are...

10. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

decent whack on the side - but that notwithstanding, what a beautiful starter. Good catch shurms!

How's the donk? Anything in mind back there or is that also going to be as close to the factory as possible? Noice. But then again a factory sleeper with some kind of gnarly LITLL screamer might be a good larf!

11. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

Wes, currently there is no donk in the van - however, there are 2 on a pallet on their way from WA. One is presumably the original as has the AC compressor attached.

Have plenty of thoughts whizzing around in my head on what to do. Am definitely going to build (with help) a stock 2 litre motor up from the 2 that are on their way but whether that engine goes into the microbus or is swapped over with the meaty Raby one from the camper I'm not too sure.
    Ultimately I think I plan to sell the camper when the microbus is complete, so will prob keep hold of the expensive engine as I'd never recover the financial outlay on that and it would be MEAN in a microbus

Andrew - thanks as ever for all these. Where do you get all of your info from or is it just locked in your factory VW brain?

Not sure the deluxe handbrake trim is there or the sliding door stuff but will take some pics over the weekend....

12. Dingostrategy

Does anyone else picture this guy with spindly, oil stained arms, sitting in a shed, just kind of meditating on an old Bosch diagnostic tester, chanting 'dakdakdakdakdakdak'

I can imagine driving a Kombi up a crusty hill, through the clouds, to have an audience with him.

"speak, my son"

"1500, I come in peace and with respect for your elders and ancestors. Pray tell, what is the right dwell gap for points on an original 009?"

13. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

Wish I had those cogs in my brain...

Been researching the A/C some more and some good info on Ratwell and The Samba. Presumably dealers over here imported units from the US and fitted them prior to and/or after sale. Looks like I'll be keeping mine as I think it can safely be classed as original (probably 'OE' in Andrews classification above) and will be great for Oz summers. The extra power in my camper special engine should negate the 10hp loss of power (with a new, modern compressor that should come down to about 5hp anyway).

My unit is a DPD

ratwell.com

Air conditioning was an optional accessory for baywindows. Two systems were produced in the US: one by Volkswagen Products Corp (VPC) of Ft. Worth, TX which was a VWoA subsidiary and Donald P Dixon (DPD) of San Antonio, TX. Obviously Texans are experts on a/c. The bus has a large cabin and folks say the a/c system was average at best but it was better than nothing I suppose.
    Three styles of evaporators were available: two overhead models, one under dash and one behind the driver's seat. The overhead unit cooled everyone; the underdash unit only cooled the driver and passenger and the jump seat unit tried to cool everyone. All systems were built from off the shelf parts. The underdash unit was DPD only as far as I know who also made an overhead version which was t-shaped. I have photos of the jumpseat unit from a 72 bus but don't known much about the make.
    Both VPC and DPD units were fitted with York piston compressors from York of PA (Borg-Warner Corp) and powered by special engine fan pulley arrangement. The Type I engines had the compressor mounted above the case but the Type IV engines had the compressor mounted to the left of the fan shroud in front of the oil cooler which necessitated cutting away some of the engine tin because of the height of the York compressor. Two holes were also drilled through the wheel well for the hoses. Here are some part numbers to help with identification:

VPC Over head unit, ZVW 203 270
    VPC Under dash unit 76-79, ZVW 203 225
    VPC compressor etc kit, VW 203 221
    DPD Over head unit, ZVW 805 5020
    DPD Under dash unit, ZVW 805 5019
    The York compressor uses up about 10HP (precious HP) so it's not popular. It's also not made very well and has a poorly constructed case and horrible fittings. Folks who are serious about resurrecting their a/c systems invest in a modern Sanden rotary compressor. See Bus Depot for more info

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  14. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

I don't think 'MicrobusShurms' or 'HannoverShurms' has the same ring to it.

15. Dingostrategy

Balls, Kai. He'll always be swagman to me :D

16. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Maybe DeluxeDave? haha

17. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

By the time I'm finished I'll be SkintShurms

18. Dingostrategy

DestituteDingo feels you, Skinty.

19. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

Shurm,
    go the soad blasting, ive had mine done in metal beads on the floor, and sand the rest of the car.The whole car inside an out..Its a night mare to clean out.
    I blue up 2 vacume cleaners trying to get rid of the sand.And when you think youve got it perfect,youll move the car or blow it out again,and more sand comes out.
    The stuff goes every were an comes out of all those nooks an cranneys when the painter starts to blow high fill on.
    Can causes lots of issues when painting is finished. ie..resanding,repainting due to sand underneath...
    Also a lot more body/panel work to do , as the panels do warp, no matter how carefull they are.
    I personally wouldnt do it again. Id let the old sander clean it up first,and only blast the areas that you think need more work.
    cheers chuck

20. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

I love a man with a plan Dave - it'll be a ripper by the time you've finished it. That's a gorgeous blue.

You and Babs may have to LIVE in it after you sink every $ you have into it, but that's life!! :lol: