1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

77 westy

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Westy77, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Westy77

Westy77 New Member

Hi all. Picked up my first. A resto as you can see but everything is there. unfortuatly the motor threw a rod and the block is gone. I have a spare engine that turns over by hand but has had the top end removed at at some stage and is just resting on with a couple nuts.

So. Ill be good for a majority of the body work. however the roof at the rear is the worst and I don't know where to start. I believe I can rebuild it piece by piece but maybe im better off with a cut?

The motor. Id like to Rebuild but id like to have any engine "god" books to guide me??? Otherwise i have been thinking about the subi swap *not original I know* but the original motor is not repairable so why not upgrade? Am thinking about the full swap *including Subaru auto* and obviously everything else needed.

I am a heavy diesel mechanic and been in the game for 14years now. I have some good fabrication skills but getting the *curves* is the new experience for me.

take a look then :) any posts I should read/follow. Good suppliers online or shops in aus? im in Brisbane.

It will see the road again!

Photos attached? vw2.jpg vw1.jpg vw3.jpeg vw4.jpeg vw5.jpeg vw6.jpeg vw7.jpeg

omelette81, Syncro27, Ninga and 3 others like this.
  2. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    TeeBee, Syncro27, David H and 2 others like this.
  3. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Kombi Club Westy! :)

Quite the task, you have ahead of you. :rolleyes:

Enjoy the ride............... ;)

Westy77 likes this.
  4. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Looks like a big job - I hope you are keeping the interior as original as possible - it looks pretty good

Ninga likes this.
  5. Westy77

Westy77 New Member

David H likes this.
  6. Westy77

Westy77 New Member

The interior is in fairly good condition but a couple chips here and there. I do plan on keeping it set up the way it is though.

Fridge will need a good service though.... haha.. One day in the near distant future

Ninga and melissa like this.
  7. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Good to hear.

Westy77 likes this.
  8. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Welcome Westy77,
    Nice pick up but a bit of work in front of you. I also like the condition of the interior. If you need some help securing that cut I'd be happy to help.
    Cheers

9. Westy77

Westy77 New Member

Thanks David! Ive messaged him but unfortunately its pending payment at this point! something else will come up :cool:

10. David H

Cuts like that are hard to come by. It would have been very helpful for you. Tell him I'll go over & pay him cash tomorrow;). Also try @bern on here he may have something.
    Cheers

11. Westy77

Westy77 New Member

I’ve messaged you Dave. Thanks

12. David H

& responded:)

13. bern

bern Well-Known Member

Westy. I've got what u want here, rear cut, tail gate lower sections and much more and close by...chat as per mp
    also have most of a subi kit Ej22... cheap n cheers

14. omelette81

omelette81 Member

Mick Motor I use in Brisbane and Vw Heritage from UK. Also use here to find anything u need. On Gumtree there is a guy out Maleny way who has a stash of stuff.

Westy77 and David H like this.