1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A 76 Original

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by gdrabs, Feb 23, 2015.

1. gdrabs

gdrabs Member

Just brought home a lovely well cared for - and in original condition campmobile, a 76 2litre Habour Blue beauty. I really wanted one that was rust free and with good history. Blue has been garaged with her previous owner since new for 38 years . He kept a log of all her journeys, 135k total from new and has kept her serviced at regular intervals all her life. Her paint is original with no repairs or accidents and has only very small amounts of surface rust in her aged patina. All seams, windows, sills, under side etc are completely rust free. The faded delivery stickers are still on this kombi. Inside fit out and top is Sopru I think - completely original but with some delamination of veneers from the aged glue. All original seat coverings, curtains and lining - even the shag carpet is as it was when he first took delivery. Drives and handles really nicely, responsive steering, good gear shift, brakes, suspension, most electrics good (brake lights not working) and motor still strong.
    Windshield sun visor has lost its paint and roo bar needs attention.
    Being completely original she will over time need an overhaul. This should be a slow restoration project though, initially just to tidy her up, preserve her and keep her going - for the next 40 years or so..

May I take the time to thank cbus - col.. whom I sent pm's back and forth at great lengths whilst considering this bus for purchase. His technical expertise and opinion were highly regarded - thanks again col.
    Now the the journey begins:)

IMG_6828.jpg IMG_6827.jpg IMG_6831.jpg IMG_6832.jpg IMG_6843.jpg IMG_6844.jpg IMG_6853.jpg IMG_6854.jpg IMG_6855.jpg IMG_6856.jpg

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    amp2104, Jackpot and Miss Rosie like this.
  2. ruby6689

ruby6689 Super Moderator Staff Member

Pretty sure it is not a Sopru, but what you have is a darn beauty. What a lovely example of a much loved and well cared for original camper.......Enjoy.

gdrabs likes this.
  3. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Easy way to tell…….Sopru's all have a build plate behind the driver's seat, pop rivetted to the chassis.
    You should be able to see it without needing to move the seat forward.
    Nice bus !!

ruby6689 likes this.
  4. gdrabs

gdrabs Member

The elderly gentleman that sold her was very sentimental (understandably) but very keen and pleased to see her go new home that was going to take good care of her. I wonder who did the fit out? I found the original colour 'VW Motel' brochure tucked behind the seats that lists the features and specs for the Campmobiles - nice!

ruby6689 likes this.
  5. gdrabs

gdrabs Member

Just had a look behind front drivers seat - nothing that mentions Sopru, just the VW Australian compliance plate. Passenger seat has colour code reference plate.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  6. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

And another Kombi finds it's new owner. :)

Looks like an excellent find.

Enjoy the ride! :cool:

gdrabs likes this.
  7. gdrabs

gdrabs Member

Looking at photos and spec in brochure my camper seems to fit 'The Adventure Traveller' although it has the additional exterior folding table attached to utility cabinet as listed with 'Adventurer deluxe'.

VW Motel 0.jpg VW Motel 1.jpg VW Motel 2.jpg VW Motel 3.jpg VW Motel 4.jpg VW Motel 5.jpg

8. Christine

Christine Member

Looks like a beauty!! Congratulations. Love the brochure & carpet!!!

9. gdrabs

gdrabs Member

Nice on your toes when you kick the shoes off:) and the dog's already fallen asleep on it! Not sure about those go fast stripes:rolleyes: What 70's attire do other buses still wear - we should compare some pics and see who gets the gong:)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  10. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Agree that the stripes are a bit dated but too original to alter in any way. Smick interior. Congrats and enjoy the ride!

11. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

If it's the way it was bought with the go fast stripes and everything else looks pretty original then leave it as it's part of the history - daggy now but cool then = if it ain't brole then don't try to fix it.

Congrats on a great find ;) a lot would be envious of you :rolleyes:

12. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Graham,

You do realise, there's no way to remove the stripes, without a total respray of those panels, don't you? :rolleyes:

Yes, the silver and red stripes will come off, but you'll be left with 2 unbleached blue stripes, on a sunbleached blue panel............o_O

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  13. nickc

nickc Member

Well done, it looks a cracka. Their still out there!
    Nick

14. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

Don't worry about the stripes. Part of the history. Look what I got stuck with!

[​IMG]

15. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

Awesome bus. Love a bit of history. Nothing beats originality.

Pin stripes are awesome. DO NOT get rid of them.

16. gdrabs

gdrabs Member

Certainly keeps it apart from the crowd - soft flowing curves of kombi punctuated by razor sharp contrasting silver and red on a palette of blue. Sky Hooks album cover or something?Hmmm....:rolleyes: No, they are going to stay... so long as the paint remains intact;)

17. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Looks like a really tidy Sopru to me - Col knows his stuff...

Defiantely keep the stripes - they are GOLD - they just give the bus history and loads of character.

Sensational purchase!

18. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Martin is coming up from tassie
    I could throw in a roller for him to do a paint demo :oops:

ruby6689 likes this.
  19. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

No way Col. That hippy styling is amazing. I wouldn't change it.

20. gdrabs

gdrabs Member

Hey check this out! - now I have to find my old Joni Mitchell tapes:)
    Tape.jpg

Miss Rosie and ruby6689 like this.