1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Kombi to die for.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 68BUS, Apr 30, 2010.

1. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

prone likes this.
  2. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Just realised. There is a photo halfway down with a stretch new beetle. Funny.

3. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

Pretty cool. I guess if I were to be buried, that would be the way to go.

4. car_freak_tim with kombi

car_freak_tim with kombi New Member

That is a very interesting kombi. Wonder how it goes with the weight of the coffin in the back of it?

5. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

I was thinking tyhis would be the Falconio kombi....

6. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Also good to be delivered in, to the crematorium... ;)

7. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Dead slow!

8. Nigel

Nigel Member

A Kombi to die for

This is precisely how Philip Shaw, aged 55•5 (DOB - 5th September 1954, DOD - 20th April 2010), made the journey on Tuesday 4th May 2010, to his final resting place at the cemetary, following the service at St. Godwalds Church, Bromsgrove, West Midlands, England. For details, see:

Paul Jarvis, "Phil Shaw 1954~2010", Transporter Talk, Issue 107, June 2010, Pages 8~11.

Phil, who had a long history of illness (multiple sclerosis, I believe) was founder member, long-term secretary, and finally president, of the Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club, which organises the VW Type 2 (all five generations, covering the period 1950~2010) World famous show Vanfest, held annually in September, at the Three Counties Showground, just outsite Malvern, Worcestershire, England.

9. Nigel

Nigel Member

A kombi to die for

I recall reading sometime ago, that the "Falconio kombi", had been consigned to the vehicle crusher!

Owing to the decreasing availability of land for burials, plus the environmental issues pertaining to cremation (e.g. Carbon Dioxide emissions and Global warming), freeze drying might be the future method of choice, for disposing of peoples' mortal remains.

The white, left-hand drive, 1972 VW Type 2 Single-Cab Pickup based hearse (registration No. MDH 958 K ), named "Hearsbie", which is now owned & operated by Volkswagen Funerals (proprietors: Clare Brookes and Michelle Orton), was built by the firm of Fritz Frickinger, in Augsberg, Bavaria, Germany, as featured in the following magazine article:

David Eccles, Clare Brookes & Michelle Orton, "For Better, For Worse 1 - The Frickinger Hearse", Volkwagen Camper & Commercial, Issue 36, July & August 2008, Pages 44~47.

Hearses and other undertakers' vehicles, based upon 1968~79 VW Type 2 Single-Cab & Double-Cab Pickups, are discussed and illustrated, in Chapter 1 - Worldwide Success, Page 7 and Chaper 11 - Special Models, Pages 90~91, of the following book:

Vincent Molenaar & Alexander Prinz, "VW Transporter & Microbus - Specification Guide 1967~79", The Crowood Press, 2005, ISBN 1-86126-765-7.

In addition to mentioning the Fritz Frickinger Karosserie, a 1968 VW Type 2 Panel Van based hearse, built by the Adalbert Stadtherr KG company, in Weiner Neustadt, Austrai, is also featured. It is said, to now be owned, by the German Community of Interest T2.

Also featured, is the funeral procession through Wolfsburg, of Heinz Heinrich Nordhoff, on 15th May 1968; his coffin borne, by a special roofless 1968 VW Type 2 Single-Cab Pickup based hearse, prepared as a one-off, by the development department of Volkswagenwerk.

10. Nigel

Nigel Member

A Kombi to die for!

I knew I had seen a press release somewhere, pertaining to this infamous Australian, 1968~70 VW Type 2 Kombi campervan!

Falconio's Kombi to be destroyed, ABC News, Australia, 27th May 2008

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/05/27/2257275.htm

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  11. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

poor lowlight :cry:

12. Surfing72

Surfing72 Well-Known Member

I just had a listen to a pod cast on Spotify - Case File 44 Peter Falconio. Apparently their Kombi was purchased from a backpacker vehicle market in Sydney. The owners were asking $3500 but Falconio picked it up for $1800. Bargain (glass is always half full LOL). Worth a listen if that's your thing.

Jethro and Poptop like this.
  13. Miss Rosie

Miss Rosie Active Member

It was a lowlight... stored in the police holding yard in Darwin.After the court case Joanne Lees had it crushed.

14. Surfing72

Surfing72 Well-Known Member

Yeah I read that but it makes no sense to me. Vehicles that are not collected are generally auctioned. In Qld in any case??

Miss Rosie likes this.