A Map planner better than Google / Not limited to 8 stops

Discussion in 'Camping Australia' started by 68BUS, Apr 17, 2018.

1. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Hey folks,
    I am currently procrastinating from work and I started putting together a dream itinerary for Busstop 2019
    Google is okay, but 2 issues. It limits the number of stops to 8. And it does not show drive time broken into each stop.
    Does anyone have a website or app recommendation that can do more?
    The ones I have found online seem to be limited by the same parameters so I believe they must just be running through the google software and presenting it differently.

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Ha.
    Get back to work.
    Thought you were on site for a while?
    Sitting under a shady tree somewhere ? ;)

3. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Nah, called in to do a tender.
    Just put in for my next 33 days long service leave though. Basically I have to be in the office as required but working for free. I am in debt holidays at the moment so working them back.

4. peter915

peter915 Active Member

Wiki camps

BrianK and David H like this.
  5. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Wiki camps

BrianK and David H like this.
  6. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Thank you. I will give it a go today.

BrianK likes this.
  7. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

Wiki camps though I have never used the trip planner. We normally head for a destination but keep options open as sometimes the site can be camped out. It happened to us recently in Tassie. We headed to Forth but were not aware that the Blues festival was on. The site was camped out so we headed for the next site. Sometimes you may arrive at a campsite and it is no longer a campsite. Again in Tassie on a trip a couple of years back we headed for Brushy Lagoon and found the site was no longer available. Again using the app can show what else is around.

Ian

8. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Wiki whats it. Can down load sections to run while out of ISP range. Ripper tool.

9. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

I think we might do a soft run prior to the big trip. That was we can see how hard it is to fine a safe spot to sleep overnight with kids. As during NSW School holidays I dare say we will struggle to get accom on the spot a night at a time. We also have friends scattered down the coast. So can probably camp on driveways to an extent to.

10. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

I would highly recommend skirting Sydney at that time Brad....traffic is bad at the best of times......school holidays are mayhem.... ;)
    we’re thinking of heading down the motorways and popping out on the coast around Merimbula-ish.....then surfing our way down to Shady Gully.......:cool:
    Cheers,
    Mark

11. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Good point. The only problem we have is a very good friend lives in Manley that we would love to see. But even he struggles to find a park without a trailer.
    We will have to have a good think about that one.

By the way folks, I have started to have a play around with the Wiki Camps app. The functionality is a bit clumsy. I dare say it is the user though and will get better. I am on the free trial for another week then it is $8. I think I will keep plodding away with and end up buying it, only a couple of coffees after all.

So thanks for the recommendation.

12. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Its also the first recommendation I have received when talking to grey nomads etc about free camps etc.

68BUS likes this.
  13. oldman

Going to Manly on a weekend ?
    .......my worst nightmare realised :eek:
    Cheers,
    Mark

68BUS and BrianK like this.
  14. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

I lived there Mark 49 years ago, was a brickies labourer earning big dollars and partied at the pub every night. Have been back to Sydney twice since, once went to Campbeltown and no where else. Next tried to get through Sydney and got lost. Finished up way back in the blue mountains. When head to NQ just cruise up the middle.

oldman likes this.
  15. oldman

Ha ha...we probably shaped up at the Ivanhoe !
    Cheers,
    Mark

BrianK likes this.
  16. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

I forget name of pub, but I have $Deakins or something like that in my head. Rough days mate, especially when pub shut and then finished up at a kiwi party somewhere.

oldman likes this.