1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A shout out to good mechanics!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 68BUS, Mar 28, 2019.

1. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

I would sleeve the hoses with a reflective product.
    Bit of wrap on header just by hose wouldn't hurt.
    Ceramic coating even better :)

Not convinced about the habit of leaving off bottom tinware .?

2. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

I can only assume Stan forgot as the case was built for a fellas aeroplane but was never used. So he converted it to have the cooling before I bought it. But even so, for a professional engine builder to forget two of the more important pieces of cooling tin is inexcusable.

I know planes don't have the doghouse cooling. I assume they do t use these tins either??

And stupid me thought I have checked that a year ago, but it must have been a check I did on the 1776.

I started the search today in my junk piles. I have a set of adjustable push rod tubes (probaly with the missing oil cooler kit). Once we are back from Easter I will but the two $5 pieces of tinware and install them. Would certainly make a big difference too.

3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Many people ,and engine builders, leave them off when fitting J tubes.
    It is argued both ways .
    No proof but my intuition says I would prefer them fitted.
    Same anal disposition says that ceramic coating the pipes must also reduce radiated heat around the heads despite the fact that the heat is originaly being generated in the heads.
    Others likely argue that the increased under body airflow near heads with tinware off offsets the value of having them installed. ?

68BUS likes this.
  4. David H

David H Well-Known Member

That's great temps Brad;). Worth the investment I reckon! This will extend the mileage between overhauls & pay its way. Heat is the enemy of ALL engines:(.
    Cheers

68BUS likes this.
  5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Actually it needs to be hotter than 60C to evaporate moisture and fuel.
    90C- 95C is better.
    Where is temp gauge sited?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  6. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Sump plate.
    I will drive it harder. :D

cbus likes this.
  7. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

Looks good Brad.
    Im thinking of switching my vintage speed exhaust out to a side winder an j pipes when i can for better air flow around the engine.
    It seems to hold took much heat in an around the valance area when driving long trips or on super hot days.
    Engine will love a bit more cooler oil running through it when it needs it.
    Cheers for the post.

68BUS likes this.
  8. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

9. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Haha. I actually bought a pair of clear plastic ones that just kampers had for cheap when I was upgrading my spares kit for the trip. They are under the seat incase it all goes pair shaped and I need them.
    I think at this stage I should be okay.

10. old grey

old grey Well-Known Member

Went in for a service last week 2 days after i noticed a small shudder between some gears changes. Figured some cash had to be spent and it was due.
    $98 for the service and a ’not worth dropping engine yet’.
    Fair enough. It was always going to give in so I wasnt surprised when 8 days later (yesterday) at a stop sign ‘bang clunk kazam !’. No more tension from clutch pedal.
    Tow truck to mechanic where I planned on just parking up until today however the owner was there so we put it in the shed.
    Rang today after lunch and told i was good to go. First time he’d seen it but my throw out bearing had managed to snap 1 of its 2 support arms off and damaged the clutch in the process.
    Engine out, problem rectified, new fuel lines, clutch and clutch cable and accelerator cable put in and adjusted up.
    Feels awesome.
    By 330 this arvo all sorted for just over $500.
    Nyemer automotive at Belmont, Newcastle, deserves a shout out for sure.
    Great job and unbeatable service at genuine 1980 prices.

Wattie, oldman, 68BUS and 3 others like this.
  11. Pisces

Pisces Member

Hi Brad
    Thanks for the comprehensive response and detail photos looks good . Sounds like it has fixed the temp problem. Did you have to increase the size of your oil pump itself to push the oil the extra distance to the cooler?
    I noticed on amazon's description of a similar fan kit they reckon you can flip the fan over ? to change the direction. Hope all goes well with your trip
    Peter

12. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

The kit I bought from Das has a pump, but Pete from custom considered it inadequate for the purpose. So he ordered a larger one for the job.
    Also, the hose from the kit was only about 1.5m. I bought a 10m length of the red hose and had 2m left over. So not sure where the kit planned on the cooler being mounted.
    In hind sight I would buy the fan and cooler as a kit, but the rest seperate, but given the tight time frame I chose to buy the kit.