1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aaarrgghhh!

Discussion in 'Kombi Stories' started by GypsyWannabe, Nov 5, 2008.

1. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

:mad:

Visited my Dad in St George Hospital this evening. Left about 7:15pm, so should have been home for dinner at 8.

Approaching the M4 toll gates, I heard something fly up and hit the car. What the?! :eek:

Cruised through the e-tag lane but coming out of the toll gates, I hear a strange noise. Damn! I've blown a tyre (front right)! :umm: No worries, I pull over into the emergency bay and proceed to change the tryre. Damn, those wheel nuts are on tight! I have to jump on the bar. :wtf: Loosen 4 but the 5th won't budge - it is worn and rounded.

It's about 8 now, so, I call the NRMA on the emergency phone. The patrolmen can't work in that location (strange, I did), so they send a tow-truck to take Janie off the Motorway. She is towed to a servo on Parramatta Rd, where I wait until about 9:45 for a patrolmen. He gets the nut off with a "cross" wheel brace and a hammer, changes the tyre for me and I drive home on 4 nuts and get home about 10:30.

Note to self: 1. Carry a "cross" wheel brace and a hammer. 2. Check all wheel nuts if air tools have been used on them and do 'em yourself if necessary.

Baz

2. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

Unlucky there Baz - driving a kombi is never dull.

I picked up an extension bar from Auto Pro that provides heaps of leverage came with different sockets that you place on the end, works like a charm.

Rev.

3. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

Air tools should be illegal. They wreck everything! WHY???!!? That extra 3 seconds it takes to do the @%$#@%# nut up is going to cost you so much isn't it...

4. BargeArse

BargeArse Active Member

So what ended up hitting you, Baz? Or was that an unknown? At least you got sorted... but what a pain in the backside.

Leverage is your friend in these instances. I learnt that while doing the "farm part" of my growing up north of Bundaberg. It's amazing how by sliding a bit of metal piping or a bar on the end of the socket handle helped.

Julian.

5. Zombi

Zombi Active Member

Rattle guns are great for taking OFF Nuts & bolts not for putting them ON!
    I have just been doign some serious transferral of parts from one car to the other (non kombi) and found my air tools very precious!

As they always say after being fiddled with by a tyre place always lossen your nuts and tighten yourself so you know you can undo them again.

Be interesting to know what did make the tyre go, was it the tyre going that sounded like something hitting you or was it something hitting you that made the tyre go?
    funny about the NRMA guy not being able to work on that section of road....
    Is he superman and the road is laced with cryptonite there or something?
    Glad to hear you got home safely and Janie was no worse off for the experience.

Jono

6. OberonViking

OberonViking Active Member

Last time I had a flat it put me in a foul mood, based on my own stupidity.

I had driven from Orange to Bathurst (about 50km) feeling the car sliding a little now and then. It was raining at the time so I put it down to that, first rain in a while. When I slowed down into Bathurst I soon realised that it was a flat front tire, and that I've ruined a fairly new tire by not realising soon.

So I drove the next few kilometres, parked outside a cafe, rang NRMA and ordered a coffee. It helped me to cool off a bit watching NRMA change my tire. That is the only time I've called NRMA for a while, so you could say its been a few hundred dollars well spent :rolleyes:

7. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

That's a bugger Baz.

Lola wouldn't start yesterday - for no apparent reason, although it was raining. Tried her again this morning, and lo and behold, started first time.

Aaaarrrgggghhhh indeed. :)

8. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

I don't know what caused the puncture yet. I haven't found the hole. Janie's off to Kombi Rescue on Monday anyway for the ball joints and I'm talking to Steve about fitting 15" Merc or Audi wheels and getting new rubber.

NRMA probably can't work in that spot because it's where about 8 lanes merge into 3 coming out of the toll gates and us Sydney-siders drive like crazy people. The cars and trucks come pretty close there.

Baz

9. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Proper tyre joints use torque rated bars on the end of their rattle guns then check the wheels nuts with a torque wrench to double check that they are all at the correct torque.
    Just saying, dont go tarring us all with the same brush...

10. OberonViking

Tarred and feathered jon ward, tarred and feathered. :lol:

I've been stuck in the past where the bolts are on too tight for me. But I figured it was as much to do with brake dust and grime...

11. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Iam one lonely voice in a world of stereotyping :)

12. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Shouldn't you also be recommending we all invest the couple of dollars for a "breaker bar", with the correct wheel nut size socket, and leave the VW issue wheel wrench alone?

I know that's what's under my seats. ;)

13. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

As a matter of fact Grant you are correct. Invest in a 18''(long) 1/2 breaker bar,a 19mm and 21mm single hex sockets. A bottle jack rated at 1tonne would be a darn lot better than the dead mans jack!

14. Grantus

You seem surprised? :p

I do manage it occasionally...... :lol:

15. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Well you are a guru after all.

16. phatratpat

phatratpat New Member

dead mans jack ?? We refer to it as'' the widow maker'' !!!

17. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Whatever the terminology in vogue for the ghastly contraption is irrelevant, whats relevant is that it be filed in the rear corner of the garage and a bottle jack take its place.

18. OberonViking

I used the VW jack on the DC two weeks back - they're fine.

well, if I'd needed to jack it any higher it would have slipped out - who designed those things?!

19. Grantus

Always interesting on a 100 or 110km/p/h road.....

Passing trucks have been known to blow the bus off the jack! :eek:

20. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

I remember an adventure in my mates 74 bay camper about 20 years back when we jacked up the van with the VW issue jack to find that the handle snapped. Three late teen blokes and a kombi on a busted jack - we did the only thing we could work out - push the kombi off the jack.

The replacemnet wheel was on by that stage.

Ahh the memories!

I agree with Jono - ban those jacks - they are rubbish.