AccuSpark Electronics

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Searl'e, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Searl'e

Searl'e Member

I have a 74 Kombi 2 litre having an overhaul, is AccuSpark the way to go or is there other options.
    Cheerz
    Searl'e

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Have not heard of Accuspark before

When I had air cooled i used a Scortcher distributor

https://performanceignition.com.au/

All Bosch parts including the electronic module

They have gone up in price from when I bought mine - but a quick look on eBay tells me Accuspark is dealing at the lower end of the market?

3. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

I'm just programing my new dizy at the moment

P1160036.jpg

Barry and David H like this.
  4. Searl'e

Searl'e Member

Thanks Barry still looking.
    Cheerz Searl'e

5. Searl'e

Searl'e Member

Thanks RS let me know how it performs.
    Cheerz
    Searl'e

6. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

7. evan&janine

evan&janine Active Member

Pardon my ignorance but why use this system.
    My 2lt air cooled with 009. I guess horses for courses.
    Regards

8. 76kampa

76kampa Active Member

I hate points and Condensers :p So I use an AccuSpark now lol, they are just importing a cheap crap dizzies from China as they are sold on aliexpress.com but it works ok.
    Cheap enough to carry a spare if you were heading off on a long trip....

9. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

If all things are equal it is to get rid of setting your points

Now - the other benefit is quality
    The quality of points in even a good dizzy is woeful. I have taken brand new point out of the box that had NO spring tension in them at all.

Yes you can get OG dizzies rebuilt, at a cost, but for similar money, you can get good quality, reliable, electronic set ups that are programmable and do away with points

oldman likes this.
  10. evan&janine

Thanks for that Barry, sounds worthy of consideration when the next tune rolls around.
    Regards.

11. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

And can be blown if connected wrong or take some fiddling to set properly.
    Can't static time ?
    Harder for fault finding for the inexperienced.
    When dead its dead.

Points and condenser simple to replace.
    ( once dissy removed ) ;)

12. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Just remember the consensus amongst the majority Bus guru's is the 009 is an engine killer at worst and has issues with flat spots on acceleration at best. Never fitted to any VW of any type out of the factory. Ok on a bug if you are into racing etc apparently, but even then not much around town.

Busses need a vacuum advance, whether it be a signal for an electronics unit or a standard set up with points. That goes for Type 1 or Type IV engines.

Adrian

Dapom likes this.
  13. rstucke

my 123 ignition was pretty easy to setup and statically time (there is a little led as an indicator and was accurate when checked with a timing light).
    Its got it all over a points distributor
    Less moving parts to wear (no advance weights)
    uses ball bearings that self lubricate,not bushes that wear
    ability to dial in any advance curve useful for modified engine when dyno tuning or putting in the stock curve for your particular engine accurately.
    One of the models has 10 vw curves (different engine designations use different curves, are you sure you have the correct one for your engine) that can be selected with a switch
    vac advance that can be set to stock or modified as well
    009 distributors were designed for stationary engines that run at one rpm, they don't have a knee curve (quicker advance early in the rpm and slower towards the end)

I have a working 009 distributor as a back up. It has been timed to the engine then removed with the clamp remaining on the distributor end so if things go pair shaped it's a quick job to switch dizzys without having to time it again

Between the 2 dizzys the electronic one started quicker, idled smother (mainly because of a higher energy coil therefore spark energy)
    I only have a std 2ltr bus curve in at the moment and haven't had a chance to adjust which I can do on the fly. The model I have has 2 curves which are fully adjustable (useful incase you are in an area that has low grade fuel, you could use a lower curve).
    The model I have connects to my laptop through a 6m usb cable. I can see rpm, mech advance, vac advance and temperature while driving (preferably monitored by a passenger). I can switch between curves through a switch on the dash.
    I believe there is a model with blue tooth that can be programed via your phone.
    The program on my lap top also has a stopwatch function between 2 settable rpms so you can adjust one curve, try it between say 1500rpm and 3000rpm (or narrower rpm range) and see which one does this faster on the same straight (empty, like industrial area on a Sunday) road.

Anyway my engine has some modifications that may benefit from some manipulation of the std ignition curve and I intend to explore that soon.

David H, oldman, cbus and 1 other person like this.
  14. 76kampa

76kampa Active Member

How much was this 123 ignition? sounds way overkill for a kombi putting to the shops and back :)

15. rstucke

yeh you only need a 009
    I paid a bit over $600

16. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

The PO of my bus had fitted an accuspark dizzy, ignition and coil. I had sooooo many problems which I eventually traced to the electronic ignition and coil. I switched out the module and coil for pertronix and it’s been trouble free since. Just bear in mind that the pin and mounting screw for the electronic module are in slightly different spots to standard which means points or pertronix unit needs minor mods to work.

17. evan&janine

Theres that ignorance again, when old dizzy replaced, thought oo9 , apparently confirmed vaccum adv. The process of thought and knowing , always learning.
    Regards.

18. andrew

andrew Active Member

The 123 ignition sounds like a great bit of kit - I have the accuspark and the car is running well - nice from idle through the rev range and no complaints at all.

76kampa likes this.
  19. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

That 123 dizzie looks very interesting :cool:

20. rstucke

I'll post more about my 123 when I play with the advance. It's running great at the moment on a std curve. I'm busy with the r&r bead right now.

oldman likes this.