1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adrian's old van = a quick profit?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by miki, Sep 22, 2014.

1. miki

miki New Member

I was very interested in Adrian's old van, he had it on carsales for 27.5k not sure what he actually got.

But here it is around one month later for 33k

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/...Transporter-1957/SSE-AD-3023047/?Cr=3&sdmvc=1

Sure I guess who ever bought it can do what they want, but where I come from that sorta instant mark up has a two word term attached "greedy c@&$"

But hey who knows maybe he spent a fat wad updating it? Riiiiiight.

2. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Hi Miki pretty heavy for a second post. But welcome to KC anyway. Hey some would say 55k for a mini is greedy. Funny thing about buying & selling, buyers expect it for nothing and sellers want top dollar. Perhaps you should have bought it yourself. :)

3. Dibsy

Dibsy Member

Like you say, he owns it so he can ask what he likes.

4. miki

miki New Member

I was 2k short of the asking price when I saw it and was embarsessed to offer anything less, so was saving and missed it.
    Oh and Phil, 55k was for two mini's? one I paid 25k for and one I paid 30k for. I have receipts and am more than willing to pic/post them.
    The traveler I had for 3 years and given its state and the money I spent on upkeep and development it would be reasonable to expect 31-32 for it.

5. Tin Bits

Tin Bits Member

Everyone has a price they are prepared to sell an item for, and once sold what ever happens after that is not the original sellers concern.

If you want $20,000 and sell for $18,000 you decided that $18,000 was ok, so if the new owner sells the same item for $25,000 that's just good fortune.

That's just buying and selling.

6. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

7. miki

miki New Member

Just curious, do you consider that good value for money? or a reasonable price?

Its two sides of a coin, if your wife goes into Aldi to buy you something she saw in the catalogue *lets say a flexible flashlight/camera inspection tool* and she is beaten by one punter who rushed in the door who buys every single one and immediately puts them on ebay at 200% mark up on what they paid, yet 10% under any ebay competitor.
    Some might say well done for being so industrious! Others will say what a greedy ****
    My perspective remains sure make a profit, but don't do anything that will make it difficult to shave the next day.

8. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Hey miki life is like that, best to move on and look for the next one. I missed 2 twin cabs while looking and trying to sell my Caravelle which annoyed the shit out of me but then along came one even better which i secured. So if you are ready to buy you know sort of what was paid for that van so go in boots and all and negotiate a cash sale.

9. Dannyred

Dannyred Member

Could not have said this better myself .

10. miki

miki New Member

I agree with you Phil, no point looking back poking myself in the eye on what *could have been* having said that I am 1/2 Serbian and 1/2 Croation. No ones every surprised when I fly off the handle only to return to complete common sense 10mins later. So.. nuff said :)

11. larrywaves

larrywaves Member

Good reply:)

12. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

Words pasted directly from the adds on carsales and gumtree. "Nothing to spend - just enjoy. Very sad sale as need to make room for arrival of new project."

I am not going to share my opinion on this at risk of offending someone.

13. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

Miki do you still want the van? If you don't then I would put it behind me and move on. Lifes too short. In saying that I'm usually the first person to moan about prices. ;)

If you do still want it then try establish what he bought it for, figure out what he has spent in the last few months if anything at all and then offer him that. If he really wants to fund a new project he should be fairly willing to sell it at what would be a fair price for both parties.

14. mr930

mr930 Active Member

Maybe the new owner doesn't like it or it doesn't do what he thought it would. I recently bought a beetle thinking it would be a good work car for me, it wasn't so I sold it. I advertised it for more than I paid and sold it for a little less than I paid.

15. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

Market Value of anything, is what the "Market", (buyers), are prepared to pay at any given time.........:rolleyes:

16. BrissyGeorge

BrissyGeorge Active Member

Well Miki, time to build a bridge and move on - you had your chance.

The market determines the value of anything - and if someone pays the new owner $33K - thats what its worth.