1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advantages of a 2 litre gearbox in an 1800

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by sclarke7171, Jul 15, 2013.

1. sclarke7171

sclarke7171 Member

What is the advantage of a 2litre gearbox in an 1800???

Also what's a 1800 gearbox worth. I'm after one. Or a 2 litre box if someone can convince me of why.

Steve

2. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

1800/2000 gearbox slighly different 4th gear. Also not straight change-over. Flywheel, shift rod etc different.

3. sclarke7171

sclarke7171 Member

Stick with my 1800 box.

Dumb question. The output flange on the box on 1 side moves up and down. Like its worn. Nope not the CV. Output flange !!!! Noticed hey are held with circlips. Unlike my 914 box that's bolted !!!!!

4. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Ive just picked up a 2l litre box to go into my 1800. paid $350 for it and have taken it straight down to have it rebuilt before I fit it up.

The 2 litre box should fit up to the 1800 with no problems - but you do need to make sure you have the 2 litre starter and the 2 studs in the engine case need to be longer. I believe the gear slector shaft is a different length as well.
    Putting an 1800 box on a 2litre engine needs the bell housing or fly wheel changed.

5. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

Stick with the 1800 box. Nice ratios. The difference in the 6 rib box is minimal and probably barely noticeable. Spend your money somewhere else.

6. tassietribe

tassietribe Member

Hi all, we have a 2lt engine (not original motor) with a 3 rib box so I assume it's probably a 1600?
    I have no issues with it I would just like to know what advantage or disadvantage would there be in changing to a 2lt box?
    Cheers Jason

7. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

If it is a 1600 box there is a big difference. The 1.8/2.0ltr box is much better at highway speed.