1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice for attaching sail track to Sopru camper

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by Summer75, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Summer75

Summer75 Member

Hey, we're wanting to attached a length of sail track to the fibreglass on our Sopru camper for an awning, the part that is attached to the roof, not the part that pops up. Has anybody done this? We thought we could access the back side of the fibreglass via peeling back the interior lining, to put reinforcing for the pop rivets, but found that its not accessible. It looks as though the fibreglass sits straight on the metal roof, so wondering if screwing it is the way to go? Concerned that pop rivets will pull through the fibreglass since we can't reinforce the back of them. Any input is appreciated! Cheers.

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

I would suggest sika. Avail in white.
    Degrease with wax n grease remover , abrade lightly with something around 220 grit, clean with metho or solvent , let that dry. Stick in place with a full bead of sika adhesive , dont squeeze it too thin. About 2 mm is good but not critical.
    It will hold better than rivets or screws.
    You can use screws to hold in place while curing if necessary then plug the holes with sika.

3. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Summer75,
    Attaching the track is the simple part. Keeping it attached is harder. I'm keen on mechanical fasteners.
    You're right, it is hard to find that area under a Sopru pop top roof but not impossible.
    To make life easy (& not have to dismantle stuff) I'd suggest the aluminium trim that holds down the pop top canvas.
    It's got a timber 'trim' (35mmx20mm) under it so has some 'anchor'. So your trim would need to be small enough to be accommodated under the folded down pop top & screwed onto the top of that aluminium strip. Not sure if there is enough room? But guess it would fit on above & outside edge of that aluminium strip (without inhibiting fold down & be less than 1/2 inch protruded) This would give the side loads that may be imposed to your attachment the best 'purchase' on the structure. Untitled.png .
    The shorter the vertical leg (on my pic) the better! Unless you also go for 'side fixing'.
    This would make it a slide in track ( D section) for the sail & thus 'sail' would have an appropriate size rope stitched into it's end so it could slide into the 'C'.
    It's got some reasonable 'grip' to the fibreglass part of the roof (with timber under) & load is horizontal to support position
    ( has to go thru a 90 degree angle to load fixings which changes load) but the whole question rests on size of sail area & thus loads in winds?
    For trims I'd suggest Aluminium Specialities & a welder.
    Ask more if required.
    Cheers,
    David H

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  4. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

On a sopru I had I put the sail track on the pop top, sikaflexed in position then bolted through to a piece of aluminium plate also sikaflexed on the inside. I also bent a couple of pieces of wire coat hanger to go into the holes on the scissor lifting arms so they couldn't spread and collapse the poptop due to the load from the awning in the sail track (and my surfboards on the roof)

5. Summer75

Summer75 Member

Thanks, will try the Sika! Cheers

6. Summer75

Summer75 Member

Thanks for the these details. Sounds like a good fixing method, only problem is that the scissor arms holding the pop top are in the way then and won't be possible to run the awning in the track, so it needs to go on the fibreglass section that is below the scissors arms. Is this what you mean?
    Cheers.

7. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Yes, just don't use in the scissor area. Still 1 metre at rear & 70cm at front when roof up & there is 2cm clearance on the inner arm but I hear the difficulty. Would be fiddly in 2 parts.
    Cheers
    David H

8. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

We have one on ours, will get a pic for you. Been there since new i think, although will need a bit of work soon.
    Have original Flinders Outback awning/tent to go with it. :)

9. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Does this help? Ours is a ally tube that is pop riveted to the gutter.
    Awning attaches to the male pins

[​IMG]