advice on baby restrain anchor point in bay kombi

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by mickey, Feb 1, 2012.

1. mickey

mickey New Member

Hi all

Sure someone out there knows this answer.

We are looking getting a bay microbus 8 seater. We need to install a crab bar or anchor point for the toddlers seat. Question is, can we get away with installing an anchor point in the floor area behind the middle row of seats. So the toddler can travel in the middle row.

I know we can get a crab bar in the very rear of the bus, we have this already in our camper, but would be nice and cheaper to use an anchor point in the middle row.

Anyone done it, or knows whether it can be done in NSW.

Thanks in advance.

Angela

2. Ponch

Ponch New Member

Hi Angela,
    I'm on the Northern beaches, have a '77 microbus and recently spent a few months going back and forth with various restraint fitters, engineers and so forth. Short answer, I don't think you can do it legally. Even though the seat is fairly solid steel tubing, my understanding is that because the anchor point is being fitted as an 'aftermarket' job (as opposed to fitted by the vehice manufacturer) the anchor point has to be installed within a very specific range in relation to the top of the seat. I'm not going to say numbers because you need to here them from someone more qualified than myself but where you want to put it is not going to be legal.

I agree, it looks like it would work, be practical and cheaper, but the law gets in the way.
    I had a CRAB bar fitted, between the air intake vents, by Steve McDougall at McDougal motors in Frenchs Forrest. I thoroughly recommend him, he talked me through the options and what can and can't be done.

Good luck

[​IMG]

3. mickey

mickey New Member

Thanks Ponch.

Our crab bar in our camper is in exactly the same spot as yours. ($400 later)

I was hoping to have him sitting closer to us in the middle row of seats. Easier access to him etc.

Thanks again

4. grumble

grumble Active Member

The crab bar mount was how we were taught at the restraint fitting course when we had the fitting station. It would be nice to have them closer but the unit Ponch has is probably the best option,the floor mount would rely on too much on the rear of the seat and the angle from the floor would be acute for the loads involved in a crash.

5. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Just putting this out there - What about the mounting points for the rear seatbelts on the firewall? Could they be used as a restraint bolt hole? It would mean that the child restraint strap would go through the rear seat between the back and base - it would also mean someone couldn't sit in that spot on the back seat but it wouldn't be forever.

6. Rossco WA

Rossco WA Member

Good point Melissa, I'm going to look into that.:)

7. pommes

pommes Member

Pretty keen to see the outcome of what you find Rossco.

Im about to come across this situation in the near future.

cheers

Ant

8. mickey

mickey New Member

Thanks Grumble.

Melissa, I look your idea too. It would only be for the next 5 years, and even if we all travelled in the bus we would still have two spare seats anyway, or at least 1 accessible seat (the far back drivers side seat you would need to climb over the strap to get in there).

Angela

9. sandyfeet

sandyfeet Member

We have the crab bar with an extension strap to put the kids on the middle seat.

10. mickey

mickey New Member

Mike, does it interfere with passangers in the back seat.?

Looks like the crab bar is the way to go again. :)

11. courty

courty New Member

12. sandyfeet

sandyfeet Member

It used to until I took the back seat out and replaced it with a bed.:D

I'm pretty sure anything you use to put a kid seat in the middle is going to interfere with the back seat.
    Until I took the back seat out we had the option to move the seat to the back if we needed to carry more passengers.

13. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

I did this restaint thing with my little one placed in the middle seat in our 71 and we had the top buckle going to the rear seat belt buckle. In my opinion this should be ample as it is a properly fitted factory seat belt with the usual and very healthy webbing material and proper buckle which is fixed to the rear fire wall.

It removes the option for the middle rear seat passenger but no ugly bar and no more holes in your kombi. I felt my daughter was very safe here as she had lots of kombi around her and a factory fitted seat belt system to restrain her.

Now she is old and big enough for a material covered foam booster seat which just uses the side lap sash belt and spacial attachment points on the seat.

Works great.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  14. sandyfeet

sandyfeet Member

Using the rear seatbelt should work, however, the problem is the angle of the strap brings the strength of the seat into play. It should be strong enough, but legally you need to have the strength of the seat approved by an engineer.
    Basically, I found, if you want to keep it legal without the expense of an engineer the crab bar is the only way to fly.

15. inabus69

inabus69 New Member

Hi
    Does anyone know how to go about installing a crab bar in a camper? We still have the original rock and roll seat and I am not sure if the seat is 'legal'? Also, where would the best place be to put the crab bar in this case? T
    Thanks
    Ina

16. Bel&Sean

Bel&Sean New Member

Just bumping this thread as we are in the process of working out how to get our kids' child restraints fitted.

We have an 8 seater microbus and will have 2, possibly 3, of our kids needing to be in child restraints.

The bus has had a CRAB bar fitted and the holes are still there on the rear either side, but unfortunately for us the CRAB was removed by previous owners.

Is it a matter of simply using the existing holes and fitting a new bar?

Does anyone have 2-3 restraints fitted to the back row? Is it possible to fit them without a CRAB bar??

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  17. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

I have 5 anchor points. 3 in the back row and 2 in the middle.
    I have used bolt through anchor point kits from Mother care or something like that. You can get them at Repco or ebay.

The 3 in the back are about 100mm down the 45degree part of the bulkhead and I keep 150mm belt extensions on them to make it easy to connect.
    I use the same points for the middle seat but they are on the floor.

My rear seat is a Kustom Kombi rock and roll so the whole setup is solid.

I am not sure if it would be a legal setup, but it is my kids and I have thought about it a lot and the seats are solid the way I have done them, a CRAB (bar) would not improve that.

We have decided to keep the larger earlier seats for the kombi with double straps for now, even though my daughter has moved onto a sash strap. I figure it is just that little bit more protection for longer.

Bel&Sean likes this.
  18. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Not the best shot but the rear anchors (extentions can be seen)
    [​IMG]

Middle
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Carpeted Around
    [​IMG]

End users.
    [​IMG]

Bel&Sean likes this.
  19. Bel&Sean

Bel&Sean New Member

Thanks for your reply and the pictures Brad, this is the way my husband wants to do it but I'm just not sure.

He's going to take it to someone tomorrow and discuss our options. Will let you know what we come up with - have to get the middle seat and seat belts in too :confused:

68BUS likes this.
  20. steve_4802

steve_4802 Active Member

We went with a crab bar and it works well. Not sure if there is a better system out there so certainly worth asking the question. With ours, we were very aware of how much harder it would make using the rock and roll bed so worked with the installer to replace the bolts with pins instead. So before putting the bed down you reach into the boot from behind and pull 4 pins to remove. I then stow the bar ( 2 short and 1 long) in front of the gear stick while camping. Could otherwise put under the seat or wherever you like.

Crab bar for us rather elegantly fits between the seatbelt mounts so didn't have to do any drilling, just used the existing mounting bolts on the white seat belt mounts in the rear. Don't have a good photo but have attached two photos that kind of show what we have in both (1) seat up and (2) seat down configurations.

The seat up photo you can see the crab bar with single hook fitting just in front of the luggage. This was for use with a single seat but you can obviously mount up to three seat anchors. The seat down photo you can just see the seat belt mount (right side) in white and the bracket for the grey frame attached after the pins are pulled and the bar removed to drop seat.

CRAB bar seat up.jpg

CRAB bar seat down.jpg

ruby6689 and 68BUS like this.