1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on websites...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Necro, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Necro

Necro Active Member

Hey everybodies...

I am starting to think I need a website. I have a few creations in development which I am excited about and many responsibilities...are there inexpensive ways to get, build and maintain a website...?

The long term goal is to be able to have an ad in some vw mags which direct people to a website. It's not like I am going corporate or anything, I will be making all my bespoke creations and continuing to do it by hand to preserve quality.

Allowances are running out and Jedda has to go back to work soon. Call me old fashioned but I don't want my son in child care too much if I can help it. So it's time I pull my finger out and work harder to try and achieve this.

Problem is when it comes to marketing and websites and such I'm pretty crap so any advice will be greatly appreciated...:)

2. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

My advice would be just to use wordpress. A simple 'normal' website is dead easy to setup on your own, but unless you want it to look like its from the 80s, then it gets increasingly complex. A wordpress is a) tidy and clean, b) customisable c) pre-networked and d) has all the gadgets necessary to attract healthy exposure to your site. Getting your own URL for a wordpress is not very hard.

Lots and lots of very sophisticated sites use wordpress, so it's not 'only' a simple blogging tool. CF Crikey.com.au and huffpost just for examples. But it can also be just an elegant little way to post pictures and updates for your target groups. That'd be the way to go.

Happy to help in any other ways I can. If you want, I can also just write you an html site that is simple, provide you with some openpirate software to drive it, but honestly, that's not what you want. A 'bloggish' is what you want, I reckon. websites with headers and menus and 'click to see this gallery' are out of date and look amateurish before they get off the shelf. I know because I wrote this one among others, and now it's patently clear that things get out of date, even with the best intentions and how ever many hundreds of hours go into them.

3. Necro

Necro Active Member

I do like the idea of a blog...updates are easier, and so on...particularily the broadcast aspect with social networking...

But are blogs appealing to the masses or just gen y?...just wondering because not many gen y's have kombi's...hmmm worth consideration Dingo...Thanks...:)

4. Dingostrategy

It doesn't actually have to be a blog, if you know what I mean. It can be a series of posts with whatever content you want. And yes, I think you want to communicate to your audience that you are just a bloke, a regular fella, with an art to share. A website with 'about me' and all that crap is out of date before it hits the server.

The thing with a wordpress (or other 'web 2') option is that different consumers will experience it in different ways. Some people might be interested in subscribing to your blog - others will just link to it to order something and contact you or to check out your work, for example. With a plug-and-play option, all that functionality is already built in. It's updated in content and form organically, by way of your posts. And through the 'meta' options of linking to FB, twitter, and feeding out your content, you're generating a little community around your art, and that's what you want. The members of that community are free salespeople and advocates, and that's a lot more contemporary than some 2-bit website that remind me of the contenders in the very, very educational 'webpagesthatsuck.com' annual worst sites awards.

the fact is, you're not going to attract a single customer with a very nice, static html website, however beautiful it is. Not a single one. The purpose of a static website like that is to not lose any customers. A more organic and meta approach will not only add new visitors through social meshes, but generate goodwill and understanding of who you are and what you do. That's the story for you - otherwise we'd all buy Chinese VW paraphernalia at a fraction of the price (we still do, of course, but because you're you and your story and the way you share your stories, we're additionally attracted to the work you do).

Anyway that's my thesis. If you want a static website, give me and/or woz a box of lagers and a week and you'll have one. And despite our best efforts it will look pretty and be of absolutely no value to your target of being a funky-arse inner melbourne stay-at-home artist dad.

5. Just Corey

Just Corey New Member

First thing you need to ask yourself is "do I need to update the site myself?".

If the answer is no, then a simple HTML & CSS website build is an easy option.

If the answers is yes, then there are many decent off the shelf cheap or free content management solutions.

I agree with dingo, and would point you towards wordpress.

Just because something has been built using wordpress it doesn't mean it needs to look and be a blog or look like a blog. Sites that look like "normal" brochure / gallery type websites but use wordpress are plentiful, so it won't have to be like a blog in the traditional sense, just use an admin system designed for updating blogs on a website front end.

Something good with wordpress is that it comes with preset templates, or you can download and install ones you might like, change a heading image & logo and you have a site. Also wordpress templates can be completely customised, there can be a lot of work involved in that as it means design concepts and full template build, then integration into wordpress, but this may be something good for down the track.

I would recommend with wordpress, if you want to look professional:
    purchase a domain name & (wordpress friendly) web hosting, then have word press installed onto the server (by you or someone else). That way you can have a full domain name eg:
    www.mydomainname.com rather than having a wordpress sub domain mydomainname.wordpress.com

now if the above has gone over your head, you may need some help. I'm sure there are a few people on here willing to help, and I'd be one of them of course.

6. Just Corey

Just Corey New Member

erm, sorry, dingo got in another post regarding how wordpress can work. Once again I agree, tho I don't think the static website is dead. It still serves a purpose, but probably not yours.

You know, in all fairness another option could simply be a facebook business page. I've seen people attract a lot of business just via social media & all the big business's are on board too.

7. Dingostrategy

True story. That'd work.

Can of worms, maybe, but FB is pretty much eating the whole internet these days. That'd be the only reason not to put all your eggs in that basket - the ethics of it, really.

8. Marty

Marty Active Member

Is a blog-style website the best option for a business though? If it's a blog type website, then you have to sift through all the posts etc instead of just having what you're selling in sections that are easy to navigate to?

Just my 2c though

9. Dingostrategy

Not for Coca Cola, no. But a business like the one we're talking about here is built around the story, not feeding out information or hype.

And besides, just because its a blog doesn't mean it can't have the usual 'examples, gallery', about sections and all that, it just adds a) the personal element and all the functionality for getting down with the meta.

anyway, my views are clear! YMMV :D

10. Necro

Necro Active Member

I dunno if it is possible marty but s gallery and a shop I think are easier to navigate, and the blog for updates and such...I wonder if you can do both....

FB has lots of VW people on it and suggests I friend them, the networking seems like it would be easy there, but fb also has alot of crap that makes people miss stuff....

I don't want three pages to do it all though....I will try and look into it...seacrhing wordpress gives you wordpress platform links not sites using it....may need some research...

but the advice is already beneficial...:) Thanks guys

11. Just Corey

Just Corey New Member

12. Necro

Necro Active Member

Bit of info overload but wordpress looks the go....I'll see if I can get my head around it or look for someone who wants some funky vespa seat upholstery...:)

13. Just Corey

Just Corey New Member

yeah, have a think about it, let it stew, then gather your thoughts and let us know what you have in mind or, if you have any other questions.

anyone else got any more thoughts?
    I thought there were a few design and code nerds among us.

14. Sheriff

Sheriff Active Member

Definitely agree that "wordpress" is the go. My cuz is a multi media guru and swears by wordpress. Google search engines love it apparently.
    Rich

15. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

I thought our resident Jolly Wozger Pirate had done some web design :eek:

16. Dingostrategy

I can think of half a dozen people who have done some form of web design in semi-professional or fully professional capacity. The ol' KC brains trust is bloody handy eh. Woz, Rev, me, 2 from tazzie, Vespa76, didn't that fella from righteous kombis do his own web - etc etc.

Good luck Necro. Your product talks for itself. Just dust it with icing sugar and put a price on it. A website is a distant second to that.

17. Just Corey

Just Corey New Member

best comment so far :)

18. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

Hey Necro

Where are you up to with the website? Happy to help with a custom wordpress template and site with wordpress installed.

Have you checked out Squarespace? http://www.squarespace.com/

Rev.