Advise please? Windows - originality or practicality?

Discussion in 'Body' started by Summer75, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Summer75

Summer75 New Member

Hi, we're new here and would appreciate some advice from people in the know. I'll try to be brief....

We've just bought a very neat original 75 Sopru camper (country bus, rust free!!) We love the fact that its original and not sure if we should start messing with that, for practicality sake. But we're deliberating over the practicality of sliding windows in place of the middle/rear quarter vent indows. We've been told the original quarter windows rust out and are prone to leaking, thankfully ours are in good shape with no rust, even underneath the rubbers. But also considering ventilation, for our kids in the back seat and travelling Central Oz next year (sliders must be better for ventilation than the opening vents??)

Should the preservation of originality outweigh the practicality here? Can anybody give their 2 cents worth on the debate of original quarter windows, or replacement sliders? Are there any issues with the sliding windows leaking?

Thanks, much appreciated!!
    Amber
    IMG_4396.jpg

roverbay likes this.
  2. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

If the quarters open and close well and the rubbers are in good nic then don't waste your money.
    Sliders are much much better for ventilation but I prefer the original windows myself.
    I had no choice but to change to sliders in my first Kombi as all my quarters were siliconed shut. Prior to changing them on our maiden voyage I almost fried my wife and 1 year old sat in the back. Didn't help that the heater vents were stuck open.
    Take it for a spin on a hot day with the family in the back and see how you get on before you commit to the alterations and expense.

3. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

Very nice Kombi by the way. :)

4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Sliders a definate improvement.
    Better flow travelling and parked.
    Better controll of flow as well

Easily reversible back to flippers if you decide later.
    Sound 1/4 windows worth serious money so dont get talked into selling cheap.
    Very few good sets avail so worth keeping if you thought you might want to reverse at any time.
    But I am confident you wont want to after having sliders.
    Seems to be some bad fitting sliders on the market so buy from a well known supplier.
    Will try and find out source of the bad ones to avoid.

5. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

Get the VW Brazil ones. I bought mine from the bus stop if that helps. VW Pilkington logos on the glass.
    JK or Heritage make the crappy fitting ones. They have their own logo on the glass

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    cbus likes this.
  6. stusbus

stusbus Well-Known Member

I replaced my original 1/4 window on the sliding door with a slider window & as Col said it's so much better now for ventilation! If you are carrying passengers in the back you should seriously consider putting sliders in !! My opinion of course !!! ;)

vassy69SC likes this.
  7. Lois lane

Lois lane Active Member

Nice camper:)
    We have sliders in our 76 camper in the middle and they are great. They allow lots of fresh air when sleeping. Kids love the wind in their hair in the back on a road-trip :D Maybe just replace the middle and leave the rear first and see how you go. We have solid windows in the rear but love the quarters. Ours don't leak either, but I know you can get good sealant if they do. Good installation is important.
    I don't think they detract from the originality, and yes you should keep the original Windows just in case you want to change back. My 2c
    Kim

Marlyn likes this.
  8. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Summer 75,
    Direction of sliders can be a problem if you have the tall cupboard behind the drivers seat as the front of the panel is the slider which places it behind that cupboard & inaccessible ( & there is no way to dismantle & reassemble to change this). I'm putting a set in my Sopru but have reversed the pair so the slider is at the rear but this places the 'lap' of the glass 'open end' to direction of travel! Although the seal seems like it would be okay I also got a 'clip on' rubber molding (from Ovesco) to seal this gap & just be sure it wouldn't leak.
    Keep those old flippers tho' just to be safe & I confirm they're rare esp in good condition. BTW if you want cheap new seals for flippers & glass I have new sets that I purchased whilst procrastinating over the same choice you're making!:rolleyes:
    Cheers,
    David H

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  9. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

Which windows are you suing David? From memory, reversing them isn't advised as the drainage holes go to the top of the window rather than the bottom where they belong. Not too many people notice they exist.

10. David H

Hi Aspro,
    JK's & don't start me as they were advertised with the slider at the rear & turned up opposite. I complained...they said I'd put them in the wrong way round...I pointed out their web site photos showing 'lap direction' & they changed the photos at 11pm that night. (can send you a page I saved). I much prefer to deal with Bus Stop.
    Not inverting. Just taking the left to the right etc. Drain holes still at base. It's the 'lap' that suffers & thus my extra bit of rubber seal.
    Cheers,
    David H

11. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

A little confused David. If you put the left window on the right doesn't the handle then end up on the outside of the window?

12. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

I'll go practicality over original. Sliders for me:D. The cost of repairing and replacing parts on the 1/4 windows starts adding up.:eek: Compared to the cost of a slider. o_O

13. David H

Hi Aspro,
    If you stand at the left hand side looking at unit with slider window in the front position ( & thus the lap the right way) & then pick it up & walk around the bus (with window facing the bus as you walk) and then put it into the RH spot the slider will now be at the other end as you've moved 180 degrees and thus so has the window & the lap is now facing the drivers seat.
    Hope this helps. It did my head in trying to work out how I was going to get out of the problem JK sold me.
    Cheers,
    David H

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  14. tomhic

tomhic Active Member

My flippers were shot so sliders were the obvious choice. They're easy to fit without any structural changes so just as easy to revert back to original if you change your mind.

tom

15. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Sliders all round for me no more water leaks and they open further

16. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

If your originals are in excellent condition - remove carefully and store away safely. (Very rare items).

Then fit some sliders, for better ventilation and be more leak proof, so you can use the Kombi the way you want to, and thoroughly enjoy the ride! :)

Kimo likes this.
  17. Summer75

Summer75 New Member

Hi David, thanks, I appreciate your input. I probably should elaborate a bit more now, I tried to keep it brief earlier, but longer story goes.... we actually had decided on sliders, had them installed, and the glass guy unknowingly fitted them back to front (because like you say, the tall cupboard behind the driver seat). The drainage holes are still on the bottom, and handle on the inside, just that they open from the back. Makes much more sense to be able to open it that way because the cupboard is in the way, and useless otherwise. But when we washed it a few days later, water literally poured in the opening between the fixed and sliding pane and filled the inside of the bottom track and all over the cabinetry. We thought it might be an issue with sliding windows in general, but now thinking it's because they were fitted back to front, so we went back to the drawing board on procrastinating over which windows to keep, sliders (fitted correctly) or the quarter windows. Im interested in the rubber seal you have to go over the join, hadn't heard of these, but might solve the problem! Are yours already installed and working fine? We're taking on everyones advise and will procrastinate some more. Thats cheeky that JK switched the image after you brought it to their attention though.
    Thanks, Amber

18. Summer75

Summer75 New Member

Thanks Kim, I do like the sound of the wind in the hair, the kids would love that!! I appreciate your advice, Amber

19. David H

Hi Summer 75,
    My son in law (& me;)) is a legend of knowledge & he & I sorted thru the window 'back the front' problem & it was he whom put me onto the extra trims. I've just taken my windows to panel shop for fitment so can't look right now & refresh my mind but surprised that water ingress thru seal led to not being able to drain out drainage holes. That also means the road test of windows in my car hasn't happened yet!
    I tried a few trims to get the right one for 'seal' & not having too much 'grip' & making opening harder. Bit of a choice between seal & grip! I ended up with a seal that 'floated' & was good enough to scrape dust off the glass but not make movement harder. Left side locks to glass if we're talking one behind drivers seat. ( no glue or screw just spring steel in plastic grip) & scraper secures weather!
    I've got enough spare to do 2 windows just. It's yours. Or go to your local Ovesco store.
    PM me with address & I'll send.
    Kombi folk learn how to do 'work arounds'. The longer you've got one the better you'll get at it!:D
    Cheers,
    David H

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  20. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Don't all sliders require an overlap of "fixed" to "slider" to allow the gap to be rearwards, to avoid rain whilst driving to not be scooped up into the join and then into the bus?o_O

Or is that just another later 3rd generation thing they resolved for the T3 Kombi? :rolleyes: