Air cleaner - original or two individuals

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by BrissyGeorge, Oct 8, 2017.

1. BrissyGeorge

BrissyGeorge Active Member

Hi,

My SC has, before my time, had a transplant - he now runs a 2L type 4 motor with an individual air cleaner on each carb- I guess in the "old days" they would have been called sports air cleaners:)

Being a bit of an originality fiend, I assume the engine would have originally had a single paper element filter in a box in feeding both of them - - what is the advantage of one over the other - would the airbox reduce some of the noise, reduce performance etc

Assuming I decide to go ahead, is it a simple fit and is it something that people have lying around.

cheers

2. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Would original be more of a 1600cc engine with a oil bath filter? Or has it always been a type 4 style motor.

3. BrissyGeorge

Wayne, the engine in at the moment is a type 4 which had a paper style element(I think) in a rectangular plastic box between the two carbies

As for as what the original engine was - perhaps a type 4 1700 - I don`t know but I am not thinking of going back that far to original originality;)

When I re read my post perhaps its confusing - I want to think about the correct air cleaner set up for the engine that is in at the moment - not to what it was way back, whatever that engine was.

So....back to my question -what type of air cleaner is standard for a 2L type 4 motor - advantages (or not) over the current individual "sports" aircleaners (performance. quietness) .

4. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

5. BrissyGeorge

6. BrissyGeorge

Can I resurrect this thread in the hope that someone can help?

7. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

I can't say from experience on the exact options but usual rule of thumb is the filter on each will give more induction noise.
    I run a pod on my LPG setup and definitely more induction noise with wide open throttle openings.

Original paper filters usualy give best balance of filtration vs flow over service periods.

8. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Type 4 engines were never available in Australian made utes.

9. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

I can't really provide expert help but if u can get to wilston u r welcome to have a close look at my original setup on type 4 engine and compare. That gumtree add linked to seemed to be missing a significant piece.

10. BrissyGeorge

No argument that its not the original engine, just wanting to get the engine back to original and maybe reduce the noise a tad

11. BrissyGeorge

Thanks Paul - the add seemed to be missing the top

12. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

The only noise improvement might be if you can actually hear the in rushing air. The rest of the engine and exhaust makes most of the noise ;)

13. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

If you are running the original Solex PSDIT carbs for the type IV, they are designed and setup to use the paper element filter with air horns to each side fitted in most later buses. The balance tube under the filter has a small tube that points towards the cooling fan housing, this connects to the nipple under the right air horn, (left hand side) and the warm air flap connects to the other nipple. The warm air unit is on the firewall side right of the filter box in line with the intake pipe. The oil breather goes in the back right top. There is a roughly 6 inch tube with 2 elbows that goes on the idle air intake on the left carb that connects to the left air horn on the fan housing side.

With out the full set of connections you cant really set up a pair of those carbs properly, as each component provides some loading to the intake air. The standard jetting is also based on it.

They do cut the intake noise down compared to a single filter but should work better overall.

Adrian