1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air cooled T3

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by vannin, Mar 30, 2011.

1. vannin

vannin Member

I just bought an aircooled T3 is this a good move?
    Ive only ever looked aat the watercooled type but this was a good deal (well it seems that way so far)
    Nik

2. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Of course its a good move Nik! show us some pics..

3. Terrordales

Terrordales Active Member

Any T3 is a good move. :)
    We need pictures now.

4. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Congrats Nik! :)

Less than 1000 aircooled ones were sold here by VW, so they're not very common..;)

5. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

You have to love those T3's they just do everything right,even the old air cooled ones.But my favourite was the auto 2.1 with air---magic even my wife loved it.

6. vannin

vannin Member

I dont pick it up till saturday so pics will come then, in the meantime Im searching for info on these buy the sounds of it the 2lt aircooled is a strong motor.
    Hopefuly I wont regret this :umm:
    Nik

7. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

It is a strong motor - is it an auto BUS?

8. ahoogah

ahoogah New Member

9. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Further to my last post about sales, according to Phil Mathews, VW Australia sold:
    59 Aircooled T3's in 1981,
    435 Aircooled T3's in 1982,
    179 Aircooled T3's in 1983,

so that's just 673 prior to 1984,

Plus a total of 262 T3's in 1984, but he wasn't specific about which of those were aircooled, and which were the the first of the 1.9l water cooled ones.

So you'd be safe in assuming that aircooled T3's were one in 673 - 935, variable on how many of the 84 sales were the new watercooled ones....:)

10. vannin

vannin Member

Wow so not many! Im guessing the motor would be the same /similar to the bay 2lt so parts shouldnt be a problem?
    Melissa its a manual.
    Nik

11. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

My '82 camper is an air cooled and I have put over 300,000ks on it without any real dramas since I purchased it in 1998. The engine was rebuilt in 2002 and is due to have a rebuild though still going pretty strong.

The only issue I have is fuel consumption. As a camper it is usually fairly heavily loaded, including the trailer that I tow, which means I am lucky to get 15l/100K. This is generally on a long trip with not much in the way of hills. For this reason I am contemplating converting it to diesel later this year. Consumption will drop to about 8l/100K which will give me great range in the outback. My mate is importing some diesel gearboxes and 1.9l turbo diesel engines. The plan is we will convert his water cooled Trakka syncro first, then mine and then one more. The diesel will also give some great low down torque which will be a benefit in some places I go.

12. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Great choice Nik. I saw a really nice yellow/ white one the other day in Chatswood area with chrome hibcaps and white band tyres - looked great.

Next trip to Narooma - bring both busses down - we will be bringing our T3 syncro and our 71 deluxe - you drive one and the boss drives the other - make sure she has the kids in the back! - Then you will have a fantastic trip down.

13. NZVWNUT

NZVWNUT New Member

I have one of your 1983 models over here in NZ...so one less ;)

14. vannin

vannin Member

Id love to go to bus stop but this unexpected purchase has drained the funds, hope its not to painful to get i registered. It has a full camper conversion with pop top (professional job) but i dont think its on the rego papers??
    Cant wait to get it home though:cool:
    Nik

15. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

I had to get my camper engineered when I registered it in NSW. Previously it was registered in the ACT. It was not difficult as it was a professional conversion but did cost a few hundred dollars. At the same time I had the rear seat engineered to carry three people as it was also not on the rego papers. I also had to modify the fridge securing arrangement as the RTA did not like how it was originally done. All is good now.

Ian

16. 82 westy

82 westy New Member

Good choice! are T3 82 Westy 20ltr has been in the family since it was bought new in Europe. Its been used as a daily driver to present and been all over the UK, Europe and New Zealand now. Its been around the clock twice and never had the engine out for rebuild. She is still going strong will cruise at 110km on the open roads. So easy to fix if goes wrong being the twin carb model.

17. vannin

vannin Member

Im no stranger to engineers.. my other toy after doing the "right thing" and getting a 2nd report (more $$) to include the approved mods the engineer got his license pulled so my previous 2 reports are invalid (no refund) and I have to fork out for a 3rd report and its coming up to the 3rd year Ive only driven it for a pinkslip:mad:
    I really dont want to go through that again.
    Saying that Im excited to pick it up tommorrow and start working on it!
    Nik

18. greenbay

greenbay New Member

I told Ella....I guess you know what she said :cry:

19. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

Beautiful machines. I remember when they first hit the market. I used to drop into dealerships to check them out. I finally replaced my '78 in late 1984 with one of the early 1.9 water cooled Caravelles but would have picked up an air cooled if I had jumped earlier.

T3s were magic. I used to be chased by people to checkout the Caravelle. Even after they had gone out of production, take the 'velle to central Queensland and I would still be harangued!

20. vannin

vannin Member

Come on Ella at leat the engine is in the rear and its not white...