"All kombi's have oil leaks"

Discussion in 'Buying and selling help' started by Geoff Dearden, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Geoff Dearden

Geoff Dearden Member

Hi there, I recently introduced myself in the new member area and am on "the search" for a late bay, 2L kombi. I have looked at several now all claiming "re-conditioned engine" and all were leaking oil. The line I keep hearing is "all kombi's leak oil" or some variation of this. We also have a 1938 ford V8 (one owner, grandfather bought it new) and this is true of cars of this era!! My question is, is this also true for 75 to 79 Kombi's or just seller spin?

2. BrissyGeorge

BrissyGeorge Active Member

Some say its not oil leaking, but sweat dripping from all the horses crammed into the engine;) HOWEVER I have owned our Single Cab with a recon 2L motor for about 4 years and the garage floor is dry - no leaks

3. kleinersyncro

kleinersyncro Active Member

Nah, that's not the truth. They just mark their territory ;)

4. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

That's the one :p

kleinersyncro likes this.
  5. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Not true, however a rear main or pushrod seal leak can be common but only due to the issue not being fixed for whatever reason. They do not leak if well maintained.

85 Caravelle likes this.
  6. KahunaKombi

I'd say it's seller's spin ..... it would be like saying all VW's smell of petrol which is rubbish, because if your fuel lines and fuel vapour system connectors are good then there should be no fuel smell.
    If there is an oil leak around the rocker covers then either the cork seals weren't replaced at the last tappet adjustment OR the rocker covers are dirtorted and need replacing ...... if around the sump plug then every possibility the washer has not been replaced OR old one not removed and you'll find 1 or 2 others that someone has been too lazy to remove. Few other places which could indicate other things :rolleyes:

7. KahunaKombi

Geoff, see you're in Carlingford NSW .... won't be far from Andrew Dodd Automotive @ North Rocks and worth having a chat to him ;) when you've found one a pre purchase inspection by VW "ol' skool" mechanic worth it & if seller won't agree then walk.

David H likes this.
  8. Geoff Dearden

Geoff Dearden Member

Thanks for that, will definitely look up Andrew Dodd and give him a call.

9. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Like Phil n Bert said ;)
    My version would be closer to the full version of "BS".

Kombis are not BSA or Norton's.

oldman likes this.
  10. nils

nils Well-Known Member

2nded (or 3rded?)

They didn't leave the factory leaking, so if they leak oil now it's due to,

*Lack of effort on the rebuilder,
    *Lack of funds from the owner,
    *Lack of maintainance or,
    *Not fixing the ancillary systems with the motor such as the breather.

Purchasing such a car you are faced with the simple decision.
    * Do I have the money/ knowhow to fix the problem? Or
    * how good am I at making excuses like "all vws leak oil"

David H likes this.
  11. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Also back Bert's mention of the importance if a pre purchase check by suitably experienced old school vw mechanic.
    List of suitable mechanics is short.
    List if people buying money pits is long.
    Term " reconditioned " can start at new plugs and a can of paint in some peoples " opinion".
    Claim of " Restored" probably has less value/ truth than reconditioned.

Any claims need to be backed with documents and/ or high resolution photographic evidence or they are to be regarded with suspicion/ discounted.

Read between the lines with what you see, documents, inspections, claims.

12. Geoff Dearden

Geoff Dearden Member

Thank you for this Nils, I 100% agree, there are a lot of people out there trying to cash in on the current value of Kombis just from the ones i have viewed and test driven over the past couple of weeks. Excellent to have people here to help, appreciate your comments.

David H likes this.
  13. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Geoff,
    Finally got my oil leaks sorted after 3 months of (new mechanic becoming familiar with our bus) mechanic chasing it. Crack in oil cooler only showing rarely & then more frequently & then so frequently it became obvious:oops:. Only the second one he's found in 20 yrs:(.
    The leaks from various spots are just an indication of maintenance required that hasn't been done;).
    Today pub discussion about maintenance was 15k intervals now with modern vehicles. Kombi oil change 5k & don't do it at your peril:rolleyes:.
    Pushrod tube seals & rocker cover gaskets in the easy end & also common.
    There is not just oil leaks to deal with these old buses. Component 'life cycle' can catch you lots if you don't know how long they've been in the bus. Brakes, clutch, CV's. Carb gasket weep etc etc. But they're marvellous:D.
    Met a few Kombi owners:D. One whom said he flogged it up & down the coast for years & didn't cost him a cent.
    Met another Kombi owner whom said he spent so much on the Kombi that he could no longer afford it:(. Sold for what he purchased it for after it became his 'money pit'.
    Reckon owner 2 bought owner 1's vehicle on the wrong 'life cycle' of components.:p
    If there is no paper work/resto thread it's BS.
    Cheers

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    old grey likes this.
  14. David H

Geoff Dearden likes this.
  15. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Active Member

My previous Kombi didn't have oil leaks in the end. When I got her, the only leak was around the gearbox drive shaft flanges. A new set of flanges and seals fixed that. The first time I did the valve clearances there was a minor weep from the rocker cover gasket but after removing and redoing with more care the leak went away.

Current kombi Harry has a bad leak down near the oil filler pipe. It remains to be seen whether that's the oil filler pipe gasket, the dipstick boot or the welsh plug. Whatever it is, it'll be fixed properly as soon as I get the time and then I'll be able to fix the other minor leaks. The reason any engine gets like that is that the leak isn't fixed properly when it starts. If you bodgey it up it will eventually come back. Once there's a couple of leaks, it starts getting hard to know when you've got a new one, where it's coming from and whether it's an easy fix or not.

They're a 40 year old machine, so it's likely there'll be some costly work to keep it going right at some stage. Like Dave says, it depends on what part of the life cycle you're in as to whether you'll have to wear those costs all at once after you buy or perhaps get a long run of very few issues. It can help to see what work has been done, but I agree with the above unfortunately there are many people who bodgey things up to make a buck, or just because they're short on cash, and the biggest danger is believing someone who says it'll be perfect and paying top dollar and then finding it's not as it was supposed to be. Pay attention to the type of character of person you're dealing with. Do you think they would fix things properly? Are they flicking the kombi to make money or are they genuine caring owners? Does the story the Kombi is telling you match the story the owner is telling you? If not, give it a miss.

David H and Geoff Dearden like this.
  16. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Common for some dodgy rubber in the dipstick boots.
    At the prompting of a member here JK Au now stock good ones.
    Not hard to swap in situ.

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  17. David H

Great post Chris. Couldn't agree more;). Old boy got a new dipstick boot in the process of chasing the oil cooler leak. That be my starting point for Harry ;).
    Hard to tell where a leak is from when oil is every where:rolleyes:. Glad old boy doesn't need a nappy now:p:D & as it's dry I get to see where the first leak starts & maintain it!
    Cheers

Mr Beckstar likes this.