1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aloha 71 lowie resto

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Richard Bickle, Sep 11, 2021.

1. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Richard Bickle and oldman like this.
  2. Richard Bickle

Richard Bickle Active Member

3. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

To make it easier for the auto electrician, pull the main wiring harness from the engine bay back through the front floor panel up to under the dash.
    Firstly undo the dash switches and replug them back into the same wire connections leaving them hanging loose.
    Including everything you can , the speedo gauge and fuse box , indictor arms etc.

Syncro27 likes this.
  4. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Have you got the ignition housing seperate ? Or still in car?
    If you look inside the ignition housing you can see were the ignition barrel would sit.Side the wires are coming out towards the dash.
    Basically on the other side of that section there is a 2 mm hole in which you need to get a piece of wire that is hooked shape into that hole to compress the spring which releases the ignition barrel from the housing. You will be doing this blind.
    As you have the spring compressed only then will the barrel wiggle out. I have the key in the barrel so you can wiggle the key in the barrel to hopefully get it out.
    The 2 mm hole is closer to the barrel were the key goes end on the inside of the housing.
    If you need a hand to get it out , I can do it for you, no problems . Or I can send a photo of my wire hook end so you know what to look for. Cyclone wire is best with the end rounded down to 2 mm .
    70 has a different housing in the way ignition is taken out.
    72 has a different steering column shaft size .
    Do have spare 71 housing if needed.

David H, Richard Bickle and oldman like this.
  5. Richard Bickle

Ok thanks certainly different to the above ! If you can send a pic great. Ill have a go at it this WE

6. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

7. Wayne murray

Above link to samba is for a 69- 70 model housing .
    This is a 72 housing, basically the same as 71. This is what you should be looking at inside the housing body.
    The fencing wire is what I use, the end near the writing Sulo is the end that is put into the hole in the housing and the other end I hooked as well to help hold it will you are putting tension on the spring in the barrel.
    You will get a feel for the springy feel when you got the hook on the spring.
    IMG_0259.JPG
    The wire going over the ignition housing
    IMG_0260.JPG
    I normally use a key to help with grip of the barrel to wiggle it out, or you can use a slotted screwdriver from the inside to help start prying it out.(watch you don't damage the barrel chrome as you pry it out).
    IMG_0262.JPG
    Close up of were the wire would be while the spring in barrel is being compressed, the wire is best against the top of the housing body.
    IMG_0265.JPG
    Taken a photo of inside were the barrel was and you can see the wire poking out were the hole is (left side of hole, behind the angled section)
    IMG_0264.JPG
    The ignition barrel itself and the spring (in middle) you are compressing to release it from it's housing.
    IMG_0263.JPG
    To remove the ignition switch, with wires on it, use a small slotted screwdriver to undo the small screw(one with red paint around it) Don't lose this tiny screw.
    The switch should then slide out and be cautious you don't damage the wires were they are soldiered on as it is very tight fitting (not alot of room)
    To then remove the ignition housing that the barrel sat in, Use a slotted screwdriver that is thin and long shaft.
    The two larger holes their is a grub screw down each hole that you need to undo part way out and the ignition housing should then slide out.
    IMG_0266.JPG
    Like I mentioned in another post, If you need a hand to get it out, I'll can help you if you need.

8. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

I reckon that piece of #8 fencing wire has seen a bit of use!
    PR

9. Richard Bickle

And that information.. priceless

10. Richard Bickle

Thanks all. .. Wayne generous offer but no idea where . How far you need to come?? Let me have a go first. . Yes i noticed those soldered joints wow so close to the metal housing too.. so much trouble to prevent theft!!!

11. Wayne murray

Only Seven Hills to Narrabeen, Just a short 1hrish;)

Richard Bickle and oldman like this.
  12. Richard Bickle

Wiring loop out .. complete in 3 sections .. not sure if worth keeping re Screenshot_20211018-183201_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20211018-183207_Gallery.jpg using but I'm keeping in case !!

13. Richard Bickle

Cant get steering wheel off tho .. do i need a press ? And ignition switch?? No luck either .. maybe with the steering wheel off and rod out .. can get to it?

14. Wayne murray

You need a puller to get the steering wheel off. Also got one of them as well. Looks like a visit in order to get the wheel off and the ignition switch out.
    Is the steering wheel out off the car?

oldman likes this.
  15. David H

David H Well-Known Member

16. Richard Bickle

yes that is a kind offer...
    Wayne when are you in my area ?

17. Richard Bickle

hi Wayne, if travelling over my way, please do swing past - how do I contact ?

I got a few other questions too
    1. do you have a rear bumper I can buy or swap for or know where to get
    2. seats ? front ones and a rear rock and roll one
    not urgent as still long way off but maybe a point in right direction ?

18. Wayne murray

1. Do you have any mounting brackets for the rear bumper bar? Do you have a rear bumper bar? I do have a rear bumper bar, not sure if it's for a 72 model and what condition is it in!
    2. Original front seats are difficult to find at the best of times. Take it you don't have any?
    Two places do rock n roll beds either Kustom kombi or Just Kampers. Don't have either in mine, still have an original style RNR seat frame.
    Kustom Kombi jamie@kustomkombi.com 0414857259
    Just Kampers https://www.justkampers.com.au/jk-r...967-vw-t2-bay-1967-1979-vw-t25-1979-1992.html

I'll send you a PM!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    David H likes this.
  19. Richard Bickle

Oh ok. PM = personal message. Hah

20. Wayne murray

Yes , top right , inbox