1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alright we went and did it. Couldn't be happier! Meet Bennie!

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Cam+, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Cam+

Cam+ Active Member

She's absolutely stunning, no regrets. can't wait to get her all polished up and... well not take her anywhere since we're in lockdown! At least I have a project I can sink some of my free time in! She doesn't need anything at all but I'm looking forward to putting my own flair in to her.

meet Bennie!

2020-03-28 23_18_43-Photo - Google Photos.jpg 2020-03-28 23_18_31-Photo - Google Photos.jpg

2. David H

David H Well-Known Member

G'day Bennie:). Congratulations @Cam+ & let me be the first to say "Love the Colour". Looks very original after 40 plus years & in great original condition. WOWEE! Lucky you :D@Cam+ :D. Even came with a roof rack @Borgey ;).
    Got dress rims & what looks like a 2nd tank under the LHS.
    This picture starts to tell a story about Bennies journey. Got the parcel shelf under dash also!
    All NICE:)! Absolutely LOVE it.
    There is a lot of odd /nice things on this bus. Check out the pop top canvas screening.
    What year/month 75?
    Cheers
    Any guess on mileage. Pedal rubbers may give a clue?
    Did it come with the table that clipped to the side of the single seat?
    Got the best mod to the sh*tty Sopru bar.
    I'm like a kid in a lolly shop ATM:p!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    TeeBee likes this.
  3. Cam+

Cam+ Active Member

:D :D :D

Firstly, sorry, she's a She - as in Bennie and the Jets (or Bennie and the Pets!)

The dial says 44,000, that's about all I really know She was apparently garaged for 16 years before the previous owners bought her, and didn't have an entry in the club log book in about a year when I picked her up (I believe the owner was honest!) What do I need to look at at the pedal rubbers - definitely didn't notice anything fraying and they also don't look new!

We have both tables - inside in front of the seat and out!

We're in love. We got home quickly and while it took me a bit to get used to the slower pace, by the time we were around the corner from home I was in full Kombi mode.

TeeBee and David H like this.
  4. Cam+

Cam+ Active Member

The guy that sold me it told me he'd send the details for the person that did the canvas pop-top - I'll follow that up real soon! He also did the custom "BackBeat" spare cover that I'll probably replace with something abit more 'us'.

The compliance plate says 4/75. I never did find the Sopru plate I really hope it doesn't cause any issues come Rego day in just over a week (previously on Club plates)

5. David H

I reedited my post as I checked back & saw your prev ref to she. Sorry for that:(.
    The pop top canvas is a great job just noted that it wasn't of the era so understand it's been replaced. I'd like to see a photo of the inside of the pop top canvas to see why it was done that way? Canvas & wheel cover perhaps done by member here @Necro ?
    As for the Sopru plate it can be a prob coming off club rego:(.
    Try & find a blue slip VW guy in Vic that understood what was made in the day. Ask here as there may be knowledge.
    & get that smile bigger:D.
    Cheers

Cam+ likes this.
  6. David H

How much wear on the angles. One side will be more worn than the other as body is not square to pedals (also think pedals are not square to body!). Dependent on wear between clutch /brake pedals it tells you what miles it's done & where it's done them re city/country.
    Cheers

Cam+ likes this.
  7. Cam+

Cam+ Active Member

Fascinating stuff! I'll definitely take a closer look tomorrow. Believe me my smile is ear-to-ear! Can't believe just how much I enjoyed getting it home - I'm absolutely beaming!

onetrackwonder, TeeBee and David H like this.
  8. David H

I guess it's like the day I brought my first child home after 13 years of 2lt Soprus:D. She's now 27! So what's your experience of Kombis other than todays drive?
    Cheers

9. Cam+

Cam+ Active Member

I test drove this one a few weeks ago, and one other before we settled on this one... Before that... Well I've always thought they were cool! :D

Honestly I think I've read half the archives of this site and that's maybe 10% of the research I've done, but once I get my mind set on something I just barrel forward! I *usually* don't regret it!

Very new to the Kombi family but I'm a fast learner and I think we're going to have a lot of happy years ahead of us!

It's me, my wife Erica and our big doofus Great Dane Rupert. With the dog we can't do as much international travel as we'd like so we decided the next few years are for seeing a whole bunch of Australia and hopefully Bennie will take us the distance!

2020-03-29 00_44_25-Window.jpg 2020-03-29 00_44_11-Window.jpg

Elsie 76, Ninga, bruce hh and 6 others like this.
  10. David H

Hi to Erica & Rupert:). I must say Cam you do fit the mould of a Kombi driver. A bit hippy happy with the beard & bun etc:D. If I can help your kombi journey in any way please message me. I'll send you a PM with my mobile for the 'just in case moments'.
    Keep Smiling:D:D:D
    Cheers
    PS. Good thing..... if Kombi breaks down Rupert can tow it:p;).

TeeBee likes this.
  11. Cam+

Cam+ Active Member

I can't say I'm surprised but I'm still definitely overwhelmed by how lovely this community is! <3

TeeBee likes this.
  12. David H

I'm friendly cos I've had so much joy (41 yrs) in 76 Sopru campers;) & I've got my soulmate as my partner. Lauren & a Kombi!
    Cheers

Cam+ likes this.
  13. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Congratulations.

14. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your purchase of you kombi. Your photos look better showing the condition of the kombi then the original few that where posted pre purchase.So it is a credit to you for what looks like a pretty good purchase in original condition. So since you are in lock down you have plenty more reading material and lot of kombi to clean and polish inside and out,make sure you eat your vitabix you will need it. Remember wax on wax off;) Enjoy

TeeBee, Cam+ and micklyan like this.
  15. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Necro runs his trimming business Volkstrim - google it - facebook ..... he's a very talented clown :):D;)

16. TeeBee

TeeBee Well-Known Member

A very scary clown, from the photos I've seen! :eek:

@Cam+ , well done on your purchase, Bennie looks great! If you're in the Eastern suburbs of Melbourne and need a mechanic, Volkscare in Boronia is the best place to go. :)

micklyan likes this.
  17. Cam+

Cam+ Active Member

I'm I'm Brunswick, willing to travel a bit but that might be pushing it... I've heard a place in Thomastown is also quite good???

18. micklyan

micklyan Active Member

Agree with TeeBee you can’t go past Boris at Volkscare but don’t agree Necro ( Dave) is scary..... well not that scary

TeeBee and David H like this.
  19. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Looks to be a good purchase. :)

Enjoy the ride...... ;)

20. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

Nothing like that first drive in the new kombi, youve got that vw smile down pat!!!!
    Next is to work on your vw wave to other vw,s an over anxious people in none vw cars, thinking lucky bugger!!!!
    Youll get what i mean in due time.
    Congrats on your vw ownership, let the journey begin.
    Cheers

Syncro27, TeeBee, Cam+ and 1 other person like this.