1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another special project

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by VZR69, Sep 5, 2015.

1. VZR69

VZR69 Active Member

Inspired by vanders' recently rebooted thread on his now sold camper trailer , I thought some of you might be interested in my kombi trailer i built about 16 years ago.
    I started with a donated rusty bus that was just itching to be cut up with a reciprocating saw and worked out how far to cut to end up with a compact trailer. I was painting trays and truck bodies for an engineering firm at the time and they sorted a heavy duty draw bar for me after I gave them the brief that this trailer must be strong enough to handle cape york and simpson desert type enviroments. Now I dont know if they only had this stuff lying around but they ended up using gigantic 6x2inch rhs that you would normally find on a 30ft caravan so it seemed a little overkill for my little trailer but strong is good I suppose. Next up I welded a rhs frame on the front with 2 opening doors and a box underneath where the motor would normally sit. I had all the rhs covered in sheetmetal and thats how it stayed for ages and because I had a young family and a single income it never got finished. Some years ago we were going over to straddie with a vw klub and thought a trailer was just what we needed to put our tents and camping gear in so I had a friend of mine build an aluminium checkerplate lid that was on gas stuts which was very handy. I also fitted a slide out bbq where the engine bay was. Of course life gets in the way of finishing these projects but I am determined to make it a proper camper trailer before the end of the year where we will be taking it to falls festival at byron bay.
    I have now fitted a folding plywood floor to the aluminium lid and will fasten my single pole touring tent that I had already to this. I will post some more pics as I progress
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Miss Rosie likes this.
  2. stusbus

stusbus Well-Known Member

Loving the idea of these Kombi trailers ! I was wondering what to do with the old wreck behind the shed !! :rolleyes:

3. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

Ideal solution to carry a spare engine too:)

4. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

So that's why single and dual cabs are so sought after? :rolleyes:

Hadn't occurred to me, until your post......:D

5. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Wouldn't make a bad esky either :rolleyes:

6. VZR69

VZR69 Active Member

I have been towing all sorts of trailers for a long time and I have never had a trailer that is as smooth as my kombi trailer even when empty. The suspension soaks up all bumps and potholes with ease.
    Perfect for a 1000lt esky Bert !