1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Volksie joins the family

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by kombimatt, May 9, 2007.

1. kombimatt

kombimatt Active Member

Truly bitten by the VW disease we have now also added a Type 3 Fastback to our collection.

A '71 Auto Fuel injected model.

It is a 2 owner vehicle. On the outside and inside it looks a little shabby but is basically a solid vehicle - the pan is totally rust free.

Am planning to roadworthy and rego and use it as is after an interior tidy up.

Needing a few bits so if any KC people are also into Type 3's would love some advice or assistance getting parts

Need - Steering wheel, steering box (if these are not as rare a RHP),

Here he is - have let the kids name him so far they have come up with Milo as he is green like a Milo can

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bemused wife
    [​IMG]

2. kombimatt

kombimatt Active Member

More pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. ModelJets

ModelJets Active Member

T3

Good on you kombimatt. The type 3 fastback was my first VW in 1979. I loved it and it was so smooth to drive. Bought it at the Sydney markets for $500 so my then Mrs could learn to drive. Ended up some mongrel stole it never to be seen again.

4. Vanders

Vanders Active Member

I like it, I like it a lot.

5. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

I have a friend who owns a fasty,....will ask him.
    Let me know exactly what your looking for & I ask for you
    Judy

6. Vanders

Vanders Active Member

Matt you have more projects going on than a class full of grade 9 geography students. Karen must be very understanding, or you must be very convincing.

7. kombimatt

kombimatt Active Member

Vanders,

Karen is very understanding but has developed a bit of a passion herself. Likes KG's very very much. Not really treating this one as a project as such. Quick tidy up and rego and leave it ratty outside. Will do her up down the track. Manuel is still the priority at this stage, oh and Mervyn's engine rebuild of course but someone else will be doing that not me.

Judy - at this stage for road worthy I know I need steering box looked at or replaced if they are possible to source. Steering wheel is also cracked in heaps of places - like a baby's rattle so will need a replacement one of them also. Can get them new but just checking to see if anyone has a good 2nd hand one. Thanks in advance.

8. kombimatt

kombimatt Active Member

Have been messing around with the Fasty this morning and he is a Deluxe so it says on the original radio. Also has chrome inserts in the window rubbers.

9. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

T3 is modelled on the KG floor pan so in a way they are a pseudo KG :) and reason why the ride so well

10. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

Excellent news Matt - glad you've sourced a new addition. :)

11. Schnidlee

Schnidlee Member

nice find, i love type-3's. ive got a notch and a squareback. have not found anywhere selling many new type 3 parts except for seals and lenses. good luck
    matt

12. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

13. kombimatt

kombimatt Active Member

Thanks Judy

14. Saggas

Saggas New Member

hey matt.
    yeah looks good mate.
    Mine is nearly same year and model!
    if you happen to come across another 'automatic' badge for the back let me know and someone stole mine.

15. kombimatt

kombimatt Active Member

Saggas,

Was/is yours EFI. If so have you kept it or gone back to twin carbs.

16. t2pickup

t2pickup New Member

Matt, not a deluxe my freind, the TLE fastback was in fact VW's Limo and was even advertised a so, very much the top o the line.
    looks pretty solid, easy to lower aswell, dont even need to buy anything!!;)
    Pity you didnt go and see Adrian, he had steering box to suit one of them, but you would have needed the four wheel drive, man me and saggas got some tales to tell.

17. kombimatt

kombimatt Active Member

Ed,

Have read that lots of people get rid of EFI in favour of twin carbs - what is your take on this.

Would also love a lesson in lowering. Front end sits way to high. How easy is it?

Got a few things to sort out for rego but hope to be on the roadie soon.

You have also got an e-mail enquiry! Mr KDF Werks

18. Saggas

Saggas New Member

hey man.
    alot have gone back to twin carbs. Mine is still original EFI. Im hoping to keep it this way. Although it does run rough at the moment. Im hoping to get it started over the mid year break.
    ive heard that lowering is a piece of piss on these. But I haven't moved mine from stock height.
    might take some pics when Im home if you want. seems to be a bit of type 3 fever around hobart atm.

19. kombimatt

kombimatt Active Member

Sagaman,

Type 3 fever has hit!!!

I'm keen to keep the EFI just for nostalgia as much as anything. It doesn't say TLE on the bootlid for no reason. Mine also running as rough as a dog - but off for a work over next week.

Lowering is something I think I'll do. Would love some pics of yours.

20. t2pickup

t2pickup New Member

Easy to lower mate, if you need it done, give us a buzz and we can book something in, Jeremy is suspension man.
    EFI ok, some dramas, if you got it and it aint broke, then dont fix it with twin carbs, is my advice.
    Got your email, and replied.

Sure is Type three fever at the moment, i got a real good type three wagon trying to help sell, $2500 drive away, cream in colour, 69 auto red interior, fresh respray, needs rego.
    These things are so undervalued, cant believe a split of the same year and the same nick would sell for $15000, when the type 3 is cool, and drives so nice.