1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any ideas

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by glow-monkey, Jun 16, 2008.

1. glow-monkey

glow-monkey Active Member

Twice now when Ive gone to check my oil I have found a sludge build up on the inside of the cap, its a yellowy sulphurish looking slag, similar to what you get in your radiator when oil is getting into your coolent, (obviously not happening in my aircooled engine). This last time there seemed to be 3 or 4 little globs of water about the size of a match head amongst the sludge.

Im not loosing any compression have no change in my fuel economy and when i drained the oil (both times as soon as I saw it) there was no sign of water or any contaminate at all in the oil or the strainer.

I change my oil every 5000km's without fail and replace the filter and clean the strainer every 10,000k's.

Is it possible that its just condensation building up in the filler tube as the temperature up here varies from 1-20 degrees at this time of yr.

or should i be worrying that somehow im getting fuel (the only other thing i could think that would cause this) blowing past the rings even though im not losing compression, or is there some other way fuel could contaminate the oil, The tappets are due to be tightened but not at all sounding like that its a vavle problem.

2. Sheriff

Sheriff Active Member

Before I got to the sentence in your post I was thinking "condensation with weather fluctuations...??" so we are on the same track. BUT, I know nothing (much) about mechanicals really, just wanted to drop a supportive note in - hoping that it is nothing more!
    Rich

3. kombikid76

kombikid76 New Member

this is pretty common i believe.... in all the buses ive owned there has been some degree of 'sludge' under the oil filler cap.

since water is a by product of combustion it does contaminate the engines oil that is why its important for the engine to reach operating temperature so it can boil off these contaminants....

how ever the location of the oil filler on our buses means you are always going to get some of these contaminants rising up the oil filler tube as they are boiled out of the oil instead of going up the crankcase and out he crankcase breather. These contanimants then condensate on the relatively cool oil filler cap and upper tube.

so in short, its normal... and if you are doing alot of short trips in your bus where it isnt getting up to temperature to burn off the contaminants in the oil, you should change your oil more frequently.

4. Schmoburger

Schmoburger Active Member

Edward pretty much covered it all, tho I'd also like to add that the choice of oil you use can have a bearing on how much sludge you get in your oil... My advice is avoid Castol GTX like the plague... it turns to a sludgey mess in no time. GTX 2 is supposed to be somewhat better but I generally only use Valvoline (just the cheap stuff) or Pennzoil Ultralube as I know after using them for about 35,000km that they sludge very little in comparison to some of the cheaper (or even expensive) nasty oils.

Cheers!

5. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like a leaky head gasket with water leaking into the oil. Check you watyer level to see if you are losing fluid.
    Otherwise it might be condensation. Go for a good run and steam of the H2O

6. glow-monkey

Thanks guys,

Schmo: I usually always use penrite straight 30W or if its not available GTX2 because i change it every 5000 without fail it doesnt get a chance to get sludgy (and because being rebuilt in sept the engine is basically new so no crap from yrs of build up), it was just the presence of moisture when i knew there wasnt a radiator to leach water through the head that had me worried, the condensation explaination sounds pretty good, especially since every day at 430am I start up then drive the 1/2 hour trip up the range (usually through mist/fog or clouds) to get to work so am definitely getting a major temp variance with the air coming in through the scoops at about 1-2 degrees.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  7. Alpal

Try sleeping in and go when the sun is shining and the birds are singing.
    Maybe this is why there is that thermostatically controlled flap on some engines!

8. Schmoburger

Nah that's just there to make those of us that don't have one jealous! :wtf:

9. Schmoburger

Oh just for the record guys... when I say after using them for 35,000km, I don't mean I hav e gone 35,000km without an oil change! :lol:

10. Joel

Joel New Member

dont laugh we drove my exs 92 corolla for 76,000kms without changing the oil or filter
    and for about 50k of that it was leaking oil into the coolant
    so i used to top it up regularly enough that it was getting frequent oil changes LOL

just had to flush out the coolant once amonth cos it turned to a caramel thickshake
    good ol toyotas just cant kill em heeh

but as already stated caramel thickshake under the oil cap is just a sign the oil isnt getting hot enough

11. kombikid76

kombikid76 New Member

dont think the ambient humidity (cloud / fog) would have much to do with it, most of the moisture is coming from the combustion of the fuel....

when you start your car up next, let it idle for a min or two then look at the exhaust... should be some water spraying out as the water from the combustion condenses on the cold exhaust system. Some of this water blows past the rings and contaminates the oil.

12. glow-monkey

I was more refering to the fact that i go from below fog cloud level (cool dry low altitude conditions) to cool moist higher altitude, then park the car and have it cool rapidly. and in the evening reverse this. not thinking that outside moisture being drawn through the intake would be effecting it. It hasnt happened since the last oil change, so may have been simply the autumn temp range of 30+ deg days and as low as 10 deg nights. the temp range at the moment is more like 5-15 so less chance of condensation.

cheers all for the advice

13. Tassiedave

Tassiedave New Member

Hello
    Mine's that same, come winter. The valve covers as well. I don't think it's anything to worry about.
    Dave

14. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Yes it is.

It should not happen if your thermostat works properly.

15. Alpal

Cant find my thermiostatink on the air cooled.

16. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

air cooled thermostats are located under your right foot!

17. Archeress

Archeress Guest

BONNIE IS A COW TO START ON THESE COLD MORNINGS
    WAS OK uptil last week when we started getting this cold snap..battery seems fine so could be starter motor..who knows...only does it in the early morn.