1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Local Professionals At Installing Window/seals

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by smithy658, Jun 29, 2012.

1. smithy658

smithy658 Member

Almost at the stay where i need to put the windows back in just wondering if there is any local businesses or people in Port Macquarie that would be willing to do them saving me from all the head ache's
    thanks
    smithy658

2. T-34

T-34 Member

Hey Smithy.

With some woven cotton cord, soapy water and help from a friend - it's pretty easy to do it yourself.

- Cut enough cord to go around screen 1 1/2 times - soak it in bucket of soapy water.
    - Put glass on sturdy stands like trestles inside upwards - be sure to put carpet or similar down first to prevent scratching.
    - Fit seal to glass with small amount of sealant to help hold seal in place and also make it extra water tight. Use a proper window seal sealant but be wary not to use too much. Apply the sealant into the gap in the seal before pushing it onto the glass. it should hold the seal in place itself.
    - Now is the time to fit any trim inserts into the rubber seal, trying to fit them after the glass is in is almost impossible.
    - Next starting in centre of bottom of window, leaving a tail sticking out, lay cord in the groove in the seal - work all way around until you get to bottom again, go past where you stated by a few inches. you should now have two tails of equal length sticking out.
    - Wet your fingers and run them around the inside of the seal so that it is not dry - this will help you fit the seal.
    - With the help of your friend lay the bottom of the window in position - make sure that the cords are on the inside, you should be able to get bottom edge of the seal in position on the metal lip really easily. Rest the top of the glass in position
    - Now getting your friend to apply pressure from outside of screen slowly pull the string, pretty much directly towards you from the inside. You need to pull it at pretty much a 90 degree angle to the glass. You may also need to 'wiggle' it in places, i find that a circular motion works best - gently working the rubber over the metal lip of the window aperture. I also find that as well as a general pressure holding the window in position, you might also need to apply a little more pressure at the point that the string is.
    - Then simply keep going until it's done.

It's really not too bad to do at all and if you get the help of more than one friend is a piece of cake.

3. milly

milly Well-Known Member

Jacob,
    If you don't want to give the above options a go, then I suggest you give Bluey's windscreens a call, tell him I recommended him to you he will look after you.
    Steve

4. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Put polish on the metal lip that the seal sits on and make sure that it is smooth and shiny so that the rubber slides on easily. Do not use any sealant as it causes rust.

5. smithy658

smithy658 Member

Thanks Steve Ill Give them a call during this week
    Feel Free to drop around tomorrow for a cold one while we spray the blue :)
    Cheers
    Jacob

6. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

I have found board short string is ideal and installed a tailgate window and a side rear bastard window with it quite easily.

The biggest pain of a job is to get the seal on the glass. After that with some help from a mate its easy.

7. milly

milly Well-Known Member

Sorry jacob,
    Im on arvo shift days off are Monday tuesday this week, tell dad not to drink them all, next weekend Ill be around.