1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone had this issue? what was the problem/fix?

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by SUTTO, Apr 8, 2016.

1. SUTTO

SUTTO Active Member

My Kombi is a 2ltr type 4 with the twin solex carbs. All stock, nothing fancy.

The Kombi runs like a dream and I never have any issues starting it up and is a joy to drive.

But I have been running into one issue of late, over the last couple of months.

Sporadically and at what seems like completely random times the Kombi runs like crap.

I'll be driving away no problems then......... bus lunges forward, acceleration is gone so I put the foot down more, and get nothing, change down gear still nothing until it stutters back into acceleration and away I go. Sometimes it will even backfire.

Sometimes it will go away for a number of trips, other times it will do it the whole trip, other times I'll stop for a couple of minutes and It will be fine and then it will come back again or not at all. Completely unpredictable.

The closest thing to the feeling of driving it when having this issue is when I forget to put full in my postie bike and it is on it's last dregs of fuel and gets fed little and littler fuel until it runs out and stops.

Leeds me to the conclusion that either the engine is getting starved of fuel or something is wrong with the fuel.

One day it will driving fine, next day it seems to suffer from the issue and I have not found a common denominator between when it happens.

Just sending some feelers out there to see if anyone has had a similar problem and what it ended up being and what was the fix?

I'll be booking it into the mechanic soon to have a look at it but wouldn't mind being armed with a bit more knowledge.

cheers.

2. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Check the points - also check if you have junk in the carbies.

3. Burnstar

Burnstar Member

Check your earth strap and make sure it is not loose and is free of corrosion.

4. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Loose spade bit on coil or condenser needs replacing just a couple to check

Have you changed fuel filter lately

5. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Drain the fuel bowls down on the carbs, check/replace fuel filter, partial blockage to main jet/s...
    Could be dodgy pigtail wire on points, coil or condenser as Mike posted.
    Check HT lead from coil to dizzy cap....swap it out n see if it runs any different.
    Start with one area, say fuel and check everything associated.....then do the same with spark.
    Good luck, let us know how you go.
    Cheers,
    Mark

6. SUTTO

SUTTO Active Member

Thanks for the answers guys, got the Gregory's out now to read up on the stuff that has been suggested.

Had a look at the fuel filters, they don't have any crud in them which is good.

Opened the distributor up to look at the points and everything is in order in there but there does appear to be a bit of crud collected by the grease.

Having a look through my records and most of what has been suggested has not been touched in any regular maintenance for a long time, longer then I have had this Kombi.

A bit of a refresh on those items might be in order.

When I figure out what it is I'll post the answer up on here.

7. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

As above.
    Best spend some time yourself going thru it logicaly n in order.
    Sounds like intermittent fuel blockage but also could be electrical.
    For electrical(and fuel related, start with battery terminals and cables/connections.
    Check all spade fittings are firm on your coil to the shutoff solenoids etc.
    That chokes are working and go off.

Then trace from tank thru re crap in fuel

Drain 10 or so litres out of tank and check for water n crap. Check filter in tank if its a screw on fitting.
    Will usualy be something simple so repeat processes.

8. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Iike you said. Some complete regular maintainence , pays dividends.
    New fuel hoses and quality clamps while you are at it.

9. SUTTO

SUTTO Active Member

Driving it for a mates wedding tomorrow so hopefully it is one of the good days. I'll check those fittings before I head out but still plan to get the items refreshed / maintenance.

10. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

If you don't drive it much it could be stale fuel - symptoms (hesitation, no power etc) would be intermittent in that it would drive crap but then be ok if you topped up the tank but crap again when you get down a little. If this could be it either drain the tank, or run the level right down then fill tank right up.

11. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Just another thought, when you fill up at the petrol station does your tank take a big gulp of air when you take petrol cap off, if so this could be your problem as the tank is causing a vacuum and your pump will struggle to feed fuel to your motor

12. SUTTO

SUTTO Active Member

Already ran through the crap fuel idea, been through a few tanks now and still happening.

As for the fuel cap thing, It isn't taking a big gulp of air when the cap comes off at the petrol station or when I pull over when it is experiencing the issue.

13. peter1000

peter1000 Active Member

If you take the fuel pump off check the actuating push rod and measure the length these wear loose their stroke length and cause an issue like this? only two bolts and a couple of fuel lines to check your book or someone here will have the std length ?????

14. Misabi

Misabi Member

Blow, me. I just jumped on to have a look see if there were any old threads on this :)

I'm having exactly the same issue with my bus. 1600 stock engine, except for pertronix ignition instead of points.
    It feels just like when I've had issues with dodgy HT leads or spark plugs on other cars, so I've replaced all leads, plugs and coil (while I was at it, as that hasn't been changed for at least as long as I've had the bus), but the only change is it's less intermittent and pretty much happens after I've been driving for 2 or 3 mins now.

It doesn't matter how long I run it for before I drive, which I find odd.

Looking back, it started a couple of weeks ago after I had run out of fuel, thank you dodgy fuel gauge :( Which would would make sense from a crap in the fuel perspective, but then I pulled off all of the leads and put them back on and it ran fine. That weekend I went out for a couple of hours drive and it was fine until the last half our on the way home. Since then it's been happening more frequently, until I did the work I mentioned above last weekend and now it's pretty much like clock work.

I guess I'll pull the in-line fuel filter (placed between the tank and engine bay, sitting above the gearbox), which has looked clear, to see if that's getting blocked. I think I've got a spare somewhere, which I'll chuck on instead to check that. I'm assuming that if there is crap in the line blocking fuel and starving the engine it will be happening there, rather than hitting the fuel pump or fuel jets?

Thanks folks :)

15. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Drain your carb bowl as well to check.
    Still could be crap inthe tank.
    If you have the screw off outlet on the tank undo it and check the gauze filter inside

Misabi likes this.
  16. Misabi

Misabi Member

I guess this was for Sutto, not me :)

Sorry folks, don't mean to threadjack, so let me know if I should start a separate one for my issue.

I gave it a go anyway, emptied the tank and unscrewed the screw off outlet from the tank, but there wasn't a filter in sight, just the screw on nut with a small metal pipe running through it from the tank out to where the hose attaches and that was all clear. My in-line filter was all clear too.

Ran all the fuel through a funnel with a built in metal mesh filter before putting it back in the tank. Took the bus for a run and it ran ok for 5 or 6 laps around the block which was about 35 minutes, before I was turning back into my street and it started losing power again. So much better than it was last weekend, but still happening. I left the engine off for 30 - 40 seconds then started it again, needed to pump the accelerator pedal a few times to get it going, but then it ran ok to the 4 or 5 hundred metres up the road.

No gasping for breath when unscrewing the petrol tank cap here either, at least not when I just tested it when I remembered that suggestion, but that was an hour or so after the test run.

17. vwfreak03

vwfreak03 Well-Known Member

Check the fuel pump pressure. Looks like its low, less than 3.5. Sounds like the pump isnt delivering enough fuel at times.

18. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Na. Was for you misabi.
    Bowl drain for single carb.
    Double check for tank filter as its hard to detect. Looks just like a washer and takes fingernail to catch it or gently insert a pencil to check. It may well be missing.

If fuel drained easily then unlikely the issue?

Check inlet needle valve for carb and float level.

Change fuel lines to quality efi type in case they have swollen internaly.

19. kombi freak

kombi freak Member

I think it sounds mainly fuel related as well. dodgy pump. how ever you should check your vacuum hoses arn't lose. Also I had a similar problem which was nearly impossible to diagnose and turned out to be a hair line crack through the plate in the distributer under the points. Long shot I know.

20. Misabi

Misabi Member

Ah, the fuel tank filter doesn't look how I imagined. I did put a small screw driver in the hole, but it may not have reached the end of the filter if there is one.
    http://www.justkampers.com.au/vw-t2...2-vw-split-1955-1967-vw-t2-bay-1967-1974.html

I'll have to pull the carb out to empty the bowl, I guess? Doesn't look like I'll have time to do that today/tomorrow. Hopefully on Monday.