1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AP Sport springs

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Dapom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

hey :)
    Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these springs? They're on eBay (391375414232). -40mm. Made in Germany and shipped from there $380 delivered.
    Or has anyone got a set of lowered springs they want to move on?

2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Let's just get the bus 100% reliable at current ride height, before you take on the next bunch of headaches.....;)

:rolleyes:

StevieVW, evan&janine and syncro like this.
  3. hairyman

hairyman Active Member

I haven't but that is a really good price. I was looking at the Brickwerks kit with shocks too. More expensive but their stuff send to be very good

StevieVW likes this.
  4. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

I would be more inclined you get yours reset by a suspension shop.
    Universal Springs do it in NSW

I have used them and was relatively happy
    I have H&R now

I would be more inclined to look at something with a matched shorter shock
    40mm is a lot to take out of travel

5. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

Lol 100% reliable! There's no such thing with an a/c VW hehe
    This is all part of the plan. I am getting towards the 16" wheels going on so i can get rid of the terrible 91 weight rated tyres he's on at the mo. He needs a wheel alignment too which will be done when the new wheels go on and so would like to get the springs in at the same time so alignment is sorted in one hit :)
    Yeah brickwerks stuff is awesome but double the price :-/
    I've had a look around for someone to reset the springs in Brisbane but no real success yet. Brickwerks advice re shocks is that standard is ok until going beyond -60.

6. hairyman

hairyman Active Member

-60! Really? I was going to go -30 or -50 but I figured I'd replace the shocks while I was at it because they would either not have enough travel left or would be knackered by this stage. I also figured it would be better to have a shock in the middle of its travel when at rest rather than 50mm compressed.

I understand that Brickwerks are expensive but you get what you pay for! The cheaper springs have a bit of a reputation for sagging over time...

7. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Take a copy of the Bentley wheel alignment specs with you when you get your wheel alignment otherwise you will probably get the alignment for a T4
    Use the Carat specs as a guide. I did this and got a real good alignment but I do have genuine VW Carat springs which are -25mm

Dapom likes this.
  8. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

The upto -60 on standard shocks seems to be the norm. I wouldn't go more than 40 but it's personal preference I suppose. I've run standard shocks in most of my lowered cars previously without issue and then upgraded when they were fuct. Guess they might just get to that state a bit quicker ;)
    As for cheaper springs sagging over time....you mean my bus would get lower? No probs ;) hehe

9. Luckyphil

Koni is the go

10. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

That's where I'll end up down the line. Current shocks are only about 8k k's old so they'll stay for now.

11. Luckyphil

I cut the bump stop discs off the front shock covers. There is 1 disc inside the cover and some above the cover. Cut it so you only loose the one inside the cover. Now here comes the hard bit. Feed the next disk through the hole in the cover so it becomes the one inside. A cow of a job but with WD40 and patience and 4 hands it can be done as I have done it a few times. You regain at least 15mm of travel in the shock by doing this. I wouldn't just cut them off and not feed one through the hole though.

Dapom likes this.
  12. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

I put factory 30mm lowered springs on my T3 Caravelle with some 16" rims ..... didn't touch the shoks and they were fine so expect a 40mm lowered spring would be fine even though have seen kits with new shocks included ???

[​IMG]

13. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

I reckon so...and I'm a basic bus so fitouts gotta be lighter than a 'velle! Your bus looks nice :) that's the sorta stance I'm looking for :)

14. beerboy

beerboy Well-Known Member

I dont like the look of those ebay ones. they dont look right. Go with brickwerks. take 20% off the price as you arent paying VAT. should cover postage.
    whats the saying. pay once and cry once.

Grantus how old are you. ;-) yes dad lol

hairyman likes this.
  15. Grantus

:D:D:D

Was only a suggestion...... as better looking stance, with the time, effort & money involved, on a bus that doesn't go (reliably), seems like a misguided priority list. :rolleyes:

;)

syncro and Luckyphil like this.
  16. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

If its going to mainly sit in the driveway it might as well look good ;)

Luckyphil likes this.
  17. Grantus

I guess it will be easier to work in the engine bay as well, if it's lowered......:rolleyes:

18. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

All bus projects are slow burners for me...time is at a premium so by the time springs arrive, tyres get sorted etc etc hopefully the reliability will be there. Will also be nice to be able to get it into the garage without having to remove the stops from the roller door to gain the 30mm I need lol

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  19. Grantus

THAT in itself, is a good enough reason to lower it! :)

Dapom likes this.
  20. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Bricks are easy to work on.
    Large hatch and no carbs.
    Bays prob a better height for leaning on but harder to reach into.
    Both beat the hell out of no hatch on lowlights and splits.
    Lowered bay with no hatch is a hoist only job in my view.
    To old for that crap.