Att: Engine builders, type IV camshaft bearing issues

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by gazman, Feb 22, 2018.

1. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

Have a very nice SC in the shop at the moment with a freshly built 2lt, everything looks good except it had a knock, so we've pulled it down and split the case to find the cam thrust bearing is stuffed (pic). The rear (as in rear of bus) of the bearing has broken away as though the cam is being forced forward. Just wondering if anyone has seen this and knows what might cause it. The cam gears look aftermarket and my money is on them...

Also have an issue with new bearings, the damaged one in the pic is your std steel backed white metal, but the new one we ordered is all alloy and feels like it would break if I sneezed on it. I really don't want to use it, it's just gonna come back in a few months with the same prob if I do. Are there any quality bearings around?

Attached Files:

2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Maybe contact Andrew- 1500king.
    He’s on top of what’s quality when it comes to engine builds......or anything else for that matter...;)
    ...and he supplies parts too...
    Cheers,
    Mark

3. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

oil pump clearance ?
    I had a new after market one that fouled on the drive slot end of the cam when fitted (not by much).
    Might have resulted in something similar.
    I couldn't use it without a shim or machining the housing (where the pump shaft came through) and pressing the pump shaft further into the gear.
    Ended up buying a one from CB Performance that fit.