1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Australian Bush

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by David H, Dec 2, 2017.

1. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Kombi Lovers,

My first girlfriend (45 yrs ago & we're still in contact:cool:) gave me a love of the bush thru bushwalking & an appreciation of nature & what is around us.

My kombi camper has given me 38 years of being part of & observing mother nature & that’s been so enjoyable to behold:D.

I’ve been lucky enough to live backing on to bush in the city for 40 years of my life.

This summer at ours has been a bit special as the kookaburras are ‘going off’. No longer going over the carport….going thru it! They’re being bold:p & thankfully missing the kombi!
    Kookaburra rail 17.jpg2.jpg

The termites have swarmed twice (normally just once late Oct/ early Nov but again tonight) so lots of food for the kookaburras & kookas mating behaviour is to behold. This is the left over wings of termites after swarm. They get these for just a few hours to come find a new home to eat:(.
    MEMO0014.JPG

Kookas seem to think it funny with lots of laughs sitting up in the trees impressing their new partner & then displaying their flying skills.
    Kookaburra.jpg2.jpg

In 2013 it was cicada season that only happens once every 5/7 years. Geez…cicadas are a patient species to wait that long underground for their moment in the universe. Oh…the kookaburras had a great year that year also! The black spots are cicadas:). Kookaburra food!
    P1080573.jpg2.jpg

T'was a noisy year;).

Love watching the Aussie bush:D.
    Love camping in a Kombi.

Cheers

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    Ninga, bagman, Miss Rosie and 2 others like this.
  2. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Very fortunate are you David :) .... at the moment we're seeing or hearing a couple of Kookaburra's every morning as we have a few parks & reserves nearby where they can feel safe ;) but alas the state and local governments are intent on the destruction of their and other native animals habitat :( to correct the poor infrastructure planning where they never took into account population growth & high density housing :eek::rolleyes:

Ninga, David H and chris taylor like this.
  3. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

David, have you seen the black cockatoos fly over lately? Their numbers are definitely growing.

4. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

IMG20171203082303.jpg Bert they can be STOPPED. parklands are not only for the wild life ,but also for the general public to relax, there are so many that do not have the ability to get out to the bush and experience what nature really is, so to have a bit of bush in the suburbs for all to enjoy is a right that should never be exploited for the sake of a $$$$$$$ by a minority few. We are fortunate enough where we live to have, Koalas , Parrots , Possums ,and some times even the occasional pair of WedgeTail Eagles flying overhead, nature at its best , and if any body wanted to destroy this for cheap housing THERE WOULD be one hell of a fight from all that live in this area , below is two photos of our park and native animal home,
    IMG20171203082311.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2017
    grumble, Ninga, Miss Rosie and 2 others like this.
  5. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Everyone can help

We live inner city Sydney (well Abbotsford) and have just redone our back yard

Only planted bird attracting natives we now have an all year round garden of flowering plants that attract native birds

Kookaburras, magpies, ravens, butcher birds, lorikeets, parrots, galhas, corellas, cockatoos, pee-wees and willie wag tails to name a few

upload_2017-12-3_14-32-46.png

grumble, Ninga, Miss Rosie and 4 others like this.
  6. David H

Haven't seen any yet Melissa.:(
    Cheers

7. melissa

They fly over Cardiff South and head towards Glendale. They sound like seagulls.

8. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Hi barry,what is your description of a Pee Wee , have heard people talk of them but quite sure what they are, there is a bird that looks like a magpie but im told they are Chucker ,whatever that is .
    We do get a lot of Yellow Tail Cockatoos here in mid Winter .

9. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Pee Wee (Granilla Cyanoleuca)

The proper name is a Magpie Lark. Maybe Pee Wee is a NSW thing????? What do other people call them.

upload_2017-12-3_17-10-22.jpeg

10. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

^^^ that's them

11. grantw

grantw Active Member

Nice photos of the cicada's David. I had a Satin Bowerbird in the garden this morning making a meal of one.

[​IMG]Satin Bowerbid by Grant White, on Flickr

David H likes this.
  12. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Ah, the joys of living in the Australian Bush.......:rolleyes:

Found this Eastern Brown in the laundry cupboard last summer. :eek:

Carefully lifted into the bin, pic taken, then lid on tight, and transferred in the SC tray, far enough away into the national park for release, to hopefully not reappear here again...;)

F422DBB7-763C-41BF-83A7-120CE7688B7D.jpeg

13. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

We had a Copperhead last summer. They're a bit more docile than a brown.

upload_2017-12-3_18-57-41.jpeg

Syncro27 likes this.
  14. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

pass!

15. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Me too!!

I saw it, then quietly closed the cupboard door, to have a good long think about the next moves........ o_O

Wasn’t exactly what I’d planned to do on a Sunday morning.

David H likes this.
  16. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Pee-Wee for as long as I remember them - still see them around local area ..... called them Pee-Wee when living in the Parramatta area, then Gosford, then in Sandgate Qld :D:)

17. David H

Some more kookaburras. Not sure what the body language says other than NO? Male aloof & playing 'hard to get'? There were 2 boys 'laughing' together & when she turned up one boy left & that let him have no need to compete so he could be 'aloof'. "Are you interested in me"? She left:(.

MEMO0019.JPG
    And the stringy bark in full bloom. Glad I don't have hay fever:).
    MEMO0022.JPG
    Cheers

18. wombatventures

wombatventures Well-Known Member

Your lawn needs a mow Chris! ;)
    Found 3 sleepy lizard s in the yard this week and nearly hit a roo at the end of the street.
    Gotta love our wildlife. Watch Black Kites hunting while I'm mowing yards or weeding gardens and all sorts of bugs getting stuck while I paint.

David H likes this.
  19. David H

Hope you're not confusing with bats which are growing in numbers:mad:.
    Cheers

20. melissa

No :D - that's Blackbutt to Warners Bay of an evening.