1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Australian Bush

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by David H, Dec 2, 2017.

1. nils

nils Well-Known Member

No worries, have dozens at my place. You can borrow some I'm sure ;)

melissa and David H like this.
  2. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

At our previous to previous place we had Blue Tongue lizards and Water Dragons - one year we had the Water Dragon nest in the front lawn, kept an eye on it and one day 5 babies appeared & as we had the rotten mynahs and other birds that wouldn't think x2 to take them about so sat for a while watching them with the previous Border Collie "Belle" :& called beer time early that day until they moved into the hedge ;)

Got a Bluey or 2 in the rock wall @ these digs :D

3. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Geez Terry ,its a new lawn mate, averaging about once a week at the moment,but it will settle down. those two half circle lawns used to be full of shrubs .a few roses and lots n lots of those dreaded agapanthes , it used to worry the hell out me not knowing what was in there , i wouldnt even go near there in the summer so bit the bullet and made the change in the middle of winter, it took me two weeks of solid digging to get those damn Aggies out and the ground cleared, about 30 rose bushes now take their place and a nice green lawn .

David H and wombatventures like this.
  4. chris taylor

Over here we would call them Murray Magpies, they sometimes see their own reflection in the windows, and attack the reflection thinking its another bird intruding in their territory or maybe it only happens during the mating season, but whatever it is,its always good to see them around.

5. andrewjdriscoll

andrewjdriscoll Active Member

Hey David,
    We, too, are truly fortunate to live where we do. My partner and I bought 1/2 acre of bush 20 years ago, a ten minute walk from Nelson Bay CBD. We overlook a council reserve and back on to Tomaree National Park. We built our house so we float on the treetops. The block is a mix of mature gums, Gymea lillies, Blueberry Ash and Banksias. I've planted a lot of native shrubs and got rid of all the noxious weeds, camphor laurel, lantana, pampas grass etc. The amount of birds, reptiles and mammals is mind blowing. Goannas, koalas, echidnas and snakes. Birds wake me every morning. Kookaburras, Cuckoos, Rosellas, Lorikeets. Too many to name. Enjoy your place.......nature is precious.

AJD

David H likes this.
  6. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

We're fortunate. We have these guys in droves. And this was in the middle of winter...

I was just about to mow the patch. Some people said I should have. I just took photos. Poor little fella sunning himself before going back underground.

2017-07-14-004.jpg

Syncro27 and David H like this.
  7. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

They don’t tend to play well with the domestic pets.......:(

8. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

We kept a careful eye on him. I had a McLeod tool always on hand and my neighbour was always available with a McCloud tool of a different sort. However Slytherin has not shown his face since except for those few days in winter. I suspect the tick he was carrying on his head was significant. Mind you the red belly that lives under the front step is very healthy.

In the mean time the Black Cockatoos continue to strip my Casuarina groves...

9. David H

David H Well-Known Member

If I was cold blooded I'd be seeking every bit of sun I could:D.
    Hopefully they're more scared of us & the pets than we are of them;).
    Last little 50cm red belly around here got a very quick run down the drive with the yard blower up his bum:p. Probably went home & told his mum that he'd learnt how to go VERY fasto_O.
    Disturbed a brown sunning himself by the river, many years ago, & was stunned to see him slither across the water to the other side.
    Cheers

10. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

Agree if it's a Red Belly Black, but Browns no.

Red Bellies are never a problem (although Georgie had a one bailed up once which was more stressful for me rather than the other two vertebrates). Look at them sideways and they run (well slither anyway).

Browns, however, will just go about their business. If they don't like you, then you had better go about yours.

11. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I have noticed the Red Belly Blacks, would rather hide than have an encounter, and I’ve heard they like Eastern Brown eggs in their diet, which is a good thing. :)

I’ve lost 1 dog to an Eastern Brown bite, along with my late labrador’s mother & sister to the same fate, on a neighbouring property. :(

Even young ones, that are “locked & loaded” with venom as they leave the egg, are quite aggressive if accidentally encountered.:confused:

12. David H

Thanks for the info guys. Now I'm glad that brown slithered across the river:oops:.
    Cheers

13. wombatventures

wombatventures Well-Known Member

We call them Murray Magpies in SA although the SA symbol is the Piping Shrike which is a Murray Magpie...
    I've also known them as Magpie Larks and Peewee's but then again the only state I haven't lived in is Tassie.
    PS1.jpg
    Even the Volkswagen Club of SA uses it....
    download.jpg

chris taylor likes this.
  14. wombatventures

It's the rain then sun Chris. Some of my regulars that usually go a month are shin high in 2 weeks t the moment! At least they're green...
    Looks like you've got a prime view. :)
    I can bring down some more Aggies for you if you want, mine are breeding!;)

15. wombatventures

Remember Kayaking on the Murray in my teens when this head sticking out of the water decided to slip upon to the front of the kayak look at me and proceed off the other side and keep heading towards the other bank. Not sure if it crapped itself but pretty sure I did!
    The river would have been 150m wide at least and I was well out in the middle. Reckon that Redbelly was doing 3 -4 knots!

David H and chris taylor like this.
  16. chris taylor

Nah you keep your aggies .
    Dont get me wrong ,i do actually like Aggies, they are always green ,have good looking flower heads , and you never have to look after then , and perfect for a lazy gardener like me , But when you want to get rid of them, hell what a job . Regards your pet Redbelly Black being in cooler water probably made him a bit sluggish and he just wanted to get on the bank to warm up ,butnever the less,still scary stuff, rather you than me.

17. David H

Captured this beauty in our yard this morning.
    Post this one.JPG
    Doesn't look like a normal coloured rosella. Any one know the breed? Just showing how little I know about birds:oops:.
    Cheers

Syncro27, chris taylor and grantw like this.
  18. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Its a King Parrot, David. That one is a male as it has a lot more red on him. The females have more green.

David H and Wayne murray like this.
  19. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

King Parrot

20. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Just to continue the theme of this thread
    I am currently in Broome for Birdweek conference.
    My wife is a bit of an amateur "twitcher" and I am happily tagging along.
    There is a heap to see and am heading off to the Broome Bird Observatory for the next 2 days.

This trip is a bit of a fact finder for when we do our big drive trip in a couple of years

melissa likes this.