1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Auto baywindows?

Discussion in 'Buying and selling help' started by Kai, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Auto baywindows and Power steering?

Are there many auto baywindows out there?

I don't see many restored auto baywindows? Or unrestored for that matter.

Just some knowledge that needs acquiring. thanks:D

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  2. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

Yep - there are quite a few kicking around. While not quite as strong as a manual gearbox (and more expensive to fix), there are certainly a few.

I know you have a long time to think, but you might give some thought to an 'easy-manual.' By that I mean a manual with a Scat Drag shifter. Instead of moving sideways and up and down, they just go backwards, in short 'thows'. Best of both worlds, really.

3. dormobile_dan

dormobile_dan New Member

i have an auto! :) its great to drive but as dingo said the manual would definetly be stronger for the long run and more reliable a.k.a. clutch starting when you have a flat battery!
    Cheers Dan

4. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

Our Wilbur is an auto and I know Doug (Douggieboy) has two and a few other members have Autos as well

5. MattB

MattB New Member

Yep, I have an auto. It does have a little less power, but drives like a dream :)

6. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

Less power than what, Matt! At least you HAVE an engine. And a Kombi in one piece, for that matter! I'd rather a happy auto over a clapped out stick!

7. MattB

MattB New Member

Lol, that's true :p Should count my blessings :p

8. MISS VDUB

MISS VDUB New Member

Kyra and Pat's wife Mel drives an auto

Ash x

9. The Brewmaster

The Brewmaster New Member

Otis is a 2l auto

Otis is a 2l auto surf bus.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

Ouch! Every time I see pics of Otis, I am reminded that this is the bus I almost bought! :rolleyes: Still, if I had bought it at the time I woudl probably have been spending money that I shouldn't have! :umm:

Baz

11. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

Yep, as Ash said, i have an auto. I really wanted a manual, but Lola was an auto, so they definitely ARE out there.

12. Aging Surfie

Aging Surfie New Member

I have an Auto and Stick. Have only driven the auto a couple of time as was in need of repair but appeared to be a great drive. Have brought a replacement box but now rebuiding engine. Should be on the road soon.

My wife has adviced me its HERS. :lol: :heart:

Deano

13. BargeArse

BargeArse Active Member

Daisy is an auto. It was actually part of the reason that I bought her, actually. Well, that and I got a glowing recommendation on her body condition from a couple of ever-so-helpful Melbourne KC members...

Because she was meant to be my daily I figured she would be easier to deal with in city traffic than a manual. But now I have my company car so it doesn't matter anyway. Oh, and an auto VW gearbox that needs a freshen up 'cause the bands need replacing in top and reverse gear...

14. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

i love otis, what a cool bus.

How does it run normal burb driving?

Also thought of another question. does it make much difference without the power steering?

Is it possible to install power steering. I'm not that much of a rev head I really don't know much about the mechanics of cars.

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  15. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

Not a problem without power steering. If my little chicken arms can manage, so can yours! :) As long as you keep your wheels moving slightly, you'll be fine.

Mine is on LPG now and is great for driving around town. In fact, I am still driving on a tank that was filled up in Coffs Harbour in early August. :D

16. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Great, so many ideas running around in my head.

Thanks guys.

17. phatratpat

phatratpat New Member

auto's rock...for the lazy fat bastard in all of us....go the auto !!

18. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

100% on that one lol.:lol:

19. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

I thought the auto boxes were actually quite tough?

There are a few of them around, but they are increasingly sought-after. They are meant to be quite good to drive, with excellent ratios....

The scat drag shifter would also be a good option - you could pretend the gearbox is "semi-automatic"... ;)

I like the kombi steering as is, I love the big turns and the real "feel", it's what makes driving a kombi so fun - power-steering is for modern cars, not a 70s kombi....

20. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Yeah, I heard it's not really much difference with the steering. Does anyone know the price of the auto's, obviously going to be more than the manual.

I just like cruising when I'm driving rather than shifting gears, put your foot down and cruise.

In my opinion :)