1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Auto Trans oil leak when towing

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Uke Baby, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Uke Baby

Uke Baby Active Member

I recently towed a camper trailer with my 91 Caravelle from Sydney to Tamworth and return. The trailer weighs 450kg max so it's not very heavy and well under what the car can tow. Strangely, when pulling up hills the auto trans develops an oil leak and the oil blows back onto the exhaust, which causes smoke to billow out the back.

When I get back onto a flat road the leak stops and hence the smoke goes away after a short amount of time. This happened every time I pulled up a decent sized hill. The leak was dripping from around the front of the transmission pan area, left side corner (front of the car that is, I guess that's the rear of the transmission). I've checked the pan bolts and dipstick tube are all tight and there is no evident of any leaks now. The trans oil wasn't overfilled, Ive checked it today and it's on the low mark.

Strange I know. Has anyone experienced this?

2. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Check trans oil when hot and select in park, place a drop of oil onto a white tissue or clean rag, oil should be red to dark reddish and should not have a burnt smell.

If the trans is still fitted with original oil cooler get rid of it, its probably partially or totally blocked or about to leak coolant into the auto ! Vancafe, GoWesty sell a modern replacement.

Check the breathers on top of the trans, if blocked or covered with mud and road grime this will result oil blowing out of the vent hole at the top of the dipstick tube.

Pulling hard up a long hill can cause the trans oil to get to 120 C + even worse if the oil cooler is not doing its job, heat and auto's don't go well together.

cbus likes this.
  3. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member